Ani's 2019 Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Re: Ani's 2019 Log

Postby PeterMollenburg » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:08 am

Hi Ani,

Have I missed sth? Breton? My tone is one of curiosity, certainly not negative, as I’ve been curious about Breton for quite a while. Actually, I’ve been curious about many of the minority and regional languages of France, and perhaps Breton the most. However I don’t see myself living in Brittany, so I thought learning Breton wouldn’t serve for much. So, how are you finding it?
0 x

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:53 pm

PeterMollenburg wrote:Hi Ani,

Have I missed sth? Breton? My tone is one of curiosity, certainly not negative, as I’ve been curious about Breton for quite a while. Actually, I’ve been curious about many of the minority and regional languages of France, and perhaps Breton the most. However I don’t see myself living in Brittany, so I thought learning Breton wouldn’t serve for much. So, how are you finding it?

I don't know if you missed anything or if it's about as random as it seems. My LEP is Breton, but doesn't speak it, so it's been on my mind for about 6 months. Now I'm totally going to see Brittany and the only other trigger is my deep love for King Arthur stories... I never realized I could actually go to Brocéliande & visit Merlin's tomb & lots of other mythological places :-D

I don't know how long this will last. I might quit pretty early. I have no particular goals and I'm pretty itchy to keep going with Icelandic (but when I do, I want to be ready to commit to full time, so solid receptive skills in Spanish first). I started the Assimil Breton course on Memrise and I'll buy the book as soon as I move. I'll say it's going surprisingly well although I'm not far in. Much better than first attempts at Icelandic or Finnish.. much much better in fact.
1 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:05 am

OK, my searches of Internet Dictionaries aren't giving me good results when I search for LEP, so please...what is LEP?
4 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt
Languages: en-us (n); français, gàidhlig, gaeilge, cymraeg, brezhoneg, español

Postby Cèid Donn » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:34 am

IronMike wrote:OK, my searches of Internet Dictionaries aren't giving me good results when I search for LEP, so please...what is LEP?

I think she is referring to her language exchange partner.
2 x
Note from an educator and former ESL/test skills tutor: Any learner, including self-learners, can use the CEFR for self-assessment. The CEFR is for helping learners progress and not for gatekeeping and bullying.

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:43 am

Cèid Donn wrote:
IronMike wrote:OK, my searches of Internet Dictionaries aren't giving me good results when I search for LEP, so please...what is LEP?

I think she is referring to her language exchange partner.

Yes indeed. Or should it be PEL.. partenaire échange linguistique ;)
3 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:29 am

I guessed as much but the acronym also stands for Limited English proficiency.
1 x

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:27 am

reineke wrote:I guessed as much but the acronym also stands for Limited English proficiency.

You can submit your objections to our dear rdearman, who suggested it and has been using it over on his log :-P
1 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:50 am

Ani wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:Hi Ani,

I don't know if you missed anything or if it's about as random as it seems. My LEP is Breton, but doesn't speak it, so it's been on my mind for about 6 months. Now I'm totally going to see Brittany and the only other trigger is my deep love for King Arthur stories... I never realized I could actually go to Brocéliande & visit Merlin's tomb & lots of other mythological places :-D

I don't know how long this will last. I might quit pretty early. I have no particular goals and I'm pretty itchy to keep going with Icelandic (but when I do, I want to be ready to commit to full time, so solid receptive skills in Spanish first). I started the Assimil Breton course on Memrise and I'll buy the book as soon as I move. I'll say it's going surprisingly well although I'm not far in. Much better than first attempts at Icelandic or Finnish.. much much better in fact.

Thanks Ani! I’m curious to see how far you take Breton. It’s got me beat how you find the time for the various languages, I must admit.

Oh, and btw, ‘LEP’ had me stumped for a few min’s too. I went and asked my wife what she thought it could mean, when it suddenly came to me right after asking her. Glad to see I wasn’t the only lost one.

Anyway to have an LEP who speaks Breton is interesting, especially since a rather small % of the Breton population speak Breton well... so nice find (people are collectables, right?).
0 x

aaleks
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)

Postby aaleks » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:06 pm

DaveAgain wrote:
Ani wrote:Also still going with Breton :-D
There's a french book/TV series where the central character is a Breton, and proud of it!

I remember the series! I mean I remember watching it in the 1990's, but not what it was about. I probably was still in school back than :)
1 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:28 pm

Ani wrote:
reineke wrote:I guessed as much but the acronym also stands for Limited English proficiency.

You can submit your objections to our dear rdearman, who suggested it and has been using it over on his log :-P

I have already objected over his use of French so I think I'll keep away from there.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”