The 2019 365 Day Language Challenge - Sign Up and Discussion

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
SDPhil
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:29 am
Languages: German (A1), English (C2)
x 5

Re: The 2019 365 Day Language Challenge

Postby SDPhil » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:36 pm

Hi! I'm joining the challenge. I'm currently learning Portuguese. (Currently at a B1 level.) At the end of 2018, I told myself I wanted to use Portuguese for at least an hour everyday. Luckily, I came across this challenge and thread for support.

Here are my daily goals for 2019
1. Use LingQ everyday until I achieve 150 known words. (I plan on reading newspaper articles, magazine articles, podcasts, and books.)
2. Listen to at least 30 minutes of some type of audio. (I plan on using podcasts, tv shows, audiobooks, and music.)

I would like to take the CELPE-Bras in October of 2018. I hope to be at a comfortable C1 level by then. If you all have any recommendations for comprehensible audio input, I would really appreciate it.
4 x

User avatar
PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Posts: 2268
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:54 am
Location: Australia
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=784
x 4476

Re: The 2019 365 Day Language Challenge

Postby PeterMollenburg » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:51 pm

SDPhil wrote:Hi! I'm joining the challenge. I'm currently learning Portuguese. (Currently at a B1 level.) At the end of 2018, I told myself I wanted to use Portuguese for at least an hour everyday. Luckily, I came across this challenge and thread for support.

Here are my daily goals for 2019
1. Use LingQ everyday until I achieve 150 known words. (I plan on reading newspaper articles, magazine articles, podcasts, and books.)
2. Listen to at least 30 minutes of some type of audio. (I plan on using podcasts, tv shows, audiobooks, and music.)

I would like to take the CELPE-Bras in October of 2018. I hope to be at a comfortable C1 level by then. If you all have any recommendations for comprehensible audio input, I would really appreciate it.


Hi SDPhil,

Good luck and welcome!

What is your start date for the challenge, please?
0 x

User avatar
zenmonkey
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Posts: 1950
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:21 pm
Location: Germany and France
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - actively studying German (B2/C1), Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859
x 4685
Contact:

Re: The 2019 365 Day Language Challenge

Postby zenmonkey » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:02 pm

rdearman wrote:I'm dropping out of this challenge. Not because I haven't been able to do it, but simply because other studies suffer because I have to do Mandarin. Previously I was rotating between 5 studies doing 20 minutes each. Some days I only managed to do 2-3 study periods, but I could even it up over the next couple of days. But being forced to always keep one in the rotation permanently doesn't give me the flexibility to keep things going more or less consistently with the others. Plus the extra 10 minutes sucks away half the time which could have been used on something else. So, I'm dropping out with a score of 5.

Good luck everyone.


couldn't you convert to a generic challenge? Any of your languages counts...
0 x
Tagged posts: Language Method Resource
Please feel free to correct me in any language, critique my posts, challenge my thoughts.
I am inconsistency incarnate.
Go study! Publisher of Syriac, Aramaic, Hebrew alphabet apps at http://alphabetsnow.zyntx.com

Online
User avatar
rdearman
Site Admin
Posts: 4475
Joined: Thu May 14, 2015 4:18 pm
Location: United Kingdom
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836
x 10301
Contact:

Re: The 2019 365 Day Language Challenge

Postby rdearman » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:08 pm

zenmonkey wrote:
rdearman wrote:I'm dropping out of this challenge. Not because I haven't been able to do it, but simply because other studies suffer because I have to do Mandarin. Previously I was rotating between 5 studies doing 20 minutes each. Some days I only managed to do 2-3 study periods, but I could even it up over the next couple of days. But being forced to always keep one in the rotation permanently doesn't give me the flexibility to keep things going more or less consistently with the others. Plus the extra 10 minutes sucks away half the time which could have been used on something else. So, I'm dropping out with a score of 5.

Good luck everyone.


couldn't you convert to a generic challenge? Any of your languages counts...


Perhaps. But my target at the moment is to do 7 hours a week and that goal lets me skip one day or two days at the weekend and play catch up later if I need to. so I think the main thing really is just booking in the time for me at the moment.
0 x
: 4 / 100 100 Italian paperbacks:
: 306 / 75000 Output Challenge 2019 (普通话写作):

Lollygagging Podcast available on iTunes

SDPhil
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:29 am
Languages: German (A1), English (C2)
x 5

Re: The 2019 365 Day Language Challenge

Postby SDPhil » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:16 pm

PeterMollenburg wrote:
SDPhil wrote:Hi! I'm joining the challenge. I'm currently learning Portuguese. (Currently at a B1 level.) At the end of 2018, I told myself I wanted to use Portuguese for at least an hour everyday. Luckily, I came across this challenge and thread for support.

Here are my daily goals for 2019
1. Use LingQ everyday until I achieve 150 known words. (I plan on reading newspaper articles, magazine articles, podcasts, and books.)
2. Listen to at least 30 minutes of some type of audio. (I plan on using podcasts, tv shows, audiobooks, and music.)

I would like to take the CELPE-Bras in October of 2018. I hope to be at a comfortable C1 level by then. If you all have any recommendations for comprehensible audio input, I would really appreciate it.


Hi SDPhil,

Good luck and welcome!

What is your start date for the challenge, please?


January 10, 2019 - January 10, 2020 :D
1 x

User avatar
Xenops
Blue Belt
Posts: 975
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:33 pm
Location: Boston
Languages: English (N), Japanese (reviving A2), Nansha (constructing).
x 1730
Contact:

Re: The 2019 365 Day Language Challenge

Postby Xenops » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:39 am

PeterMollenburg wrote:...


Sorry PM, it looks like my post was missed: I started on the 7th, running until January 7th, 2020. :)
1 x

User avatar
PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Posts: 2268
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:54 am
Location: Australia
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=784
x 4476

Re: The 2019 365 Day Language Challenge

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:32 am

SDPhil wrote:
January 10, 2019 - January 10, 2020 :D


End date = Jan 9th ;)

Xenops wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:...


Sorry PM, it looks like my post was missed: I started on the 7th, running until January 7th, 2020. :)


Indeed, I did miss you! Sorry, Xenops. :oops:

Your end date will be Jan 6th, 2020.

I’ll edit the competitors list tomorrow 8-)
1 x

User avatar
zenmonkey
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Posts: 1950
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:21 pm
Location: Germany and France
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - actively studying German (B2/C1), Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859
x 4685
Contact:

Re: The 2019 365 Day Language Challenge

Postby zenmonkey » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:04 pm

PeterMollenburg wrote:
SDPhil wrote:
January 10, 2019 - January 10, 2020 :D


End date = Jan 9th ;)

Xenops wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:...


Sorry PM, it looks like my post was missed: I started on the 7th, running until January 7th, 2020. :)


Indeed, I did miss you! Sorry, Xenops. :oops:

Your end date will be Jan 6th, 2020.

I’ll edit the competitors list tomorrow 8-)


please move me too to the 1.10.2020, couldn't start earlier due to travel and illness.
1 x
Tagged posts: Language Method Resource
Please feel free to correct me in any language, critique my posts, challenge my thoughts.
I am inconsistency incarnate.
Go study! Publisher of Syriac, Aramaic, Hebrew alphabet apps at http://alphabetsnow.zyntx.com

User avatar
Spoonary
Blue Belt
Posts: 875
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:45 pm
Location: England
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try), Deutsch (Beg), Ελληνικά (Beg)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9858
x 1636

Re: The 2019 365 Day Language Challenge

Postby Spoonary » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:56 pm

Ok, I give up. I missed another day yesterday, because I didn't feel like doing anything productive, and I have some things planned this week that will stop me from being able to do even 30 minutes of worthwhile study, so I'm dropping out of the challenge.

I am, however, going to continue with German and do at least 30 minutes each day that I want to/can dedicate that time to it, so at least this challenge has brought some kind of consistency to my life :lol:

Final score, I dunno. I studied 11 days out of 13, so that gives me -3 right? :roll:
2 x

Sarafina
Green Belt
Posts: 321
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:02 pm
Languages: English (N)
French (Intermediate )
Japanese (Beginner)
Yoruba (Advanced Comprehension)
x 636

Re: The 2019 365 Day Language Challenge

Postby Sarafina » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:20 pm

For French, my score is still 12. But for the generic category, I've completely failed that. I'm on -56. I don't know if there's any point even continuing for the 'generic' bit. But I'll still try to carry. If I don't skip any more days, then I can still get a decent score of 309.
2 x


Return to “Language Challenges”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests