Radioclare's 2019 log (Croatian/Russian)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Ogrim
Brown Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N) English (C2), French (C2), Spanish (C2), German (B2), Romansh (B2), Italian (B2), Catalan (B2), Russian (B1), Latin (B2), Dutch (B1), Croatian (A2), Arabic (on hold), Ancient Greek (learning), Romanian (on hold)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?t=873

Re: Radioclare's 2019 log (Croatian/Russian)

Postby Ogrim » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:32 am

Daniel N. wrote:
Radioclare wrote:My mind was blown - what on earth is a "non-paper"?! It sounds like a word out of 1984 or something like that and to start with I figured the Croatians must have made it up :lol: But then I googled it and Wiktionary says it is a proper word. So I guess I just managed to learn a new English word by watching Croatian news :oops:

It's a kind of technical term, like Howya doin, btw you won't get them planes, drop us a mail to fix things and so on. Non-paper

BTW did you get my PM?

Yes, non-papers exsist, especially in government and international organisations. I've written a few myself in my career. The point of a non-paper is that it does not enter the official records, so officially they don't exist.

Edit: Reading that afterwards I realise I sound like Sir Humphrey in Yes Minister. :)
3 x
Ich grolle nicht

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Postby Radioclare » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:28 pm

Daniel wrote:It's a kind of technical term, like Howya doin, btw you won't get them planes, drop us a mail to fix things and so on. Non-paper

BTW did you get my PM?

Yes, I did - thank you!!! Sorry that I didn't reply - I had to have multiple attempts at downloading the doc because for some reason my computer kept cutting out. But on the fifth attempt I finally managed it, so it is definitely on my reading list now :-)

Ogrim wrote:Yes, non-papers exsist, especially in government and international organisations. I've written a few myself in my career. The point of a non-paper is that it does not enter the official records, so officially they don't exist.

Edit: Reading that afterwards I realise I sound like Sir Humphrey in Yes Minister. :)

I can genuinely imagine Sir Humphrey saying your last sentence :lol:
0 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:59 pm

Like Ogrim, I've written several non-papers in my diplomatic career. Certainly a thing. And a big thing with some partners!

How'd they say it in Croatian?
0 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:45 pm

IronMike wrote:Like Ogrim, I've written several non-papers in my diplomatic career. Certainly a thing. And a big thing with some partners!

How'd they say it in Croatian?

They literally called it a "non-paper". That's why I was so confused; because it looked like an English word, but I had no idea what they were talking about :lol:

I found a helpful article on a Croatian news website this morning which explained to readers what it meant. But I really had never heard the term before!
3 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:22 pm

11 January
Very glad it's the weekend now!

Russian
I got on the train this morning all excited about learning my new chapter 11 vocabulary in Memrise. Okay, well maybe not exactly excited, but that's what I was planning to do. So I was extremely annoyed when I found that, despite the fact I had most definitely re-downloaded the relevant Memrise course to my phone last night after I'd uploaded the audio, the version on my phone was somehow still the one without audio. I tried deleting it and downloading it again over my data, which was slightly problematic with the rubbish connection on the train, and the audio still wasn't there. I started to panic that after the hassle of uploading it all last night, I'd forgotten to complete the final step and click save :shock: But when I went to the website version, it was (thankfully!) all there. In the end I gave up and continued with the official Memrise Russian 1 course. After several more failed attempts to redownload the course with audio via my Wi-Fi this evening, I eventually solved the problem by logging out of the Memrise app and logging back in again! I guess it must be another bug in the app.

This evening I focussed on the dialogues at the end of chapter 11. I've just got one comprehension exercise about the founding of St Petersburg to do tomorrow, and then I can move onto chapter 12 :)

I wanted to re-start the Learn Russian lessons tonight, but the app I'm using to block social media etc on my laptop seems to be including the RT website in some category of website that it's not allowing me to access. So I'll have to figure out how to disable it tomorrow :lol:

Total time = 67 minutes. Streak = 11 days

Croatian
I gave the news a miss today, but I ended up watching some Croatian stand-up on Youtube. This sketch about the Postojna cave in Slovenia really made me laugh. I went when I was in Slovenia last summer and I actually thought the cave was amazing (although it was ridiculously expensive!).

2 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:03 am

I wanted to re-start the Learn Russian lessons tonight, but the app I'm using to block social media etc on my laptop seems to be including the RT website in some category of website that it's not allowing me to access.

Thanks because RT is crap! :lol:
1 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:32 am

I can’t believe you’ve got me watching Croatian stand-up now. It’s bad enough that my “music in other languages” playlist on YouTube has pretty much turned into a “music in Croatian” playlist thanks to you.
1 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:19 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:I can’t believe you’ve got me watching Croatian stand-up now. It’s bad enough that my “music in other languages” playlist on YouTube has pretty much turned into a “music in Croatian” playlist thanks to you.

It's a subtle campaign to get you learning Croatian before French :lol:

12 January
A much-needed day at home without any obligations :)

Russian
I managed to stop my computer blocking the RT site so I planned to start working through lessons this morning. I had done some of them already last year, so I was hoping there would be an easy way to 're-set' my account and lose all my progress so that I could start again at the beginning. It's quite easy to do this on Memrise and Duolingo, for example. Unfortunately there didn't seem to be a similar option on this website and I couldn't even find a way to delete my account, so I tried to create a new account with a different email address instead. That felt like a good idea but it didn't work out because the email to confirm my registration never came through. After a bit of frustration, I eventually figured out that I could go into each individual lesson and click to re-set every single question I'd previously entered an answer for, one by one. That was rather a tedious task and for once I was glad I hadn't made too much progress last year :lol:

With that done, I should have been all ready to make a start... but I couldn't get the audio to work :cry: I'm not sure, but I think it had something to do with flash. It wouldn't work in Chrome so I tried it in Firefox and it didn't work there either, but then I got a notification asking me to enable flash, and after that it worked in Firefox. By the time I'd sorted all that out I didn't have much time left for learning :lol: I worked through the first three lessons in the end.

Later in the afternoon I finished the final bit of chapter 11 in the Penguin book and started chapter 12, which is about the future tense. This feels like it's going to be harder than the past tense. I learned that the Russian word for a fortress is 'крепость' and I don't feel like this is a strong word. The word for fortress in Croatian is 'tvrđava' and that feels like an appropriately awe-inspiring noun for something as serious as a fortress, perhaps especially because it's so hard to pronounce. Whereas 'крепость' reminds me of the Croatian word 'krepati' which means to die, but I think is used in a derogatory/disrespectful sort of way. I now have an image of a Russian fortress just keeling over and dying, so I guess this will help me remember the word at least :lol:

Total time = 136 minutes. Streak = 12 days

Croatian
I read another 40 pages or so of 'Dvadeset godina samostalne Hrvatske'. I haven't felt like I've had the energy to read it in the evenings this week by the time I've finished studying Russian. It would be cool if I could finish it tomorrow, but there are another 100 pages to go, so not sure whether that's realistic. I learned a new word: čimbenik (factor).

I logged into Goodreads to update my page count and at the side of the page, under the "Recommendations" heading, it says "Because you are currently reading 'Dvadeset godina samostalne Hrvatske'" and then recommends me a book called "Control Unleashed: Creating a Focused and Confident Dog" :shock: Slightly struggling to see what the link is :lol:
5 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:53 pm

HiNative:

"Krepati' is synonimous with 'crći/crnknuti'.It's an informal term.
"Umro je prošle godine."
"Krepao je prošle godine."

Bahahahaha! Anyway, you can say krepati for animals and machines. Uginuti is formal use for animals. Krepaću' may be used if you're very hot/stressed/dying from laughter. Also used for someone living at minimum subsistence level. Crknuti may be used interchangeably with krepati in many cases. Krepati/crknuti/otegnuti are all offensive when used for human beings.Otegnuti is somewhere in between offensive and insensitive. Crkavica means low salary. Can't say krepavica although it sounds hilarious.
3 x

Robierre
Green Belt
Languages: Speaking: Croatian (N)
Learning: French (C2), Polish (B1)
Using: English
On hold: German (B2), Italian (C1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=941

Postby Robierre » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:23 pm

Krepati je od talijanskog "crepare", sinonim za "morire". Navodno se u talijanskom može koristiti i za ljude i za životinje, iako meni zvuči grozno upotrijebiti ga za ljude - vjerojatno zbog toga što hrvatski "krepaj!" zvuči jako grozno, to možeš reći samo nekome koga jako mrziš. :shock:

Bio sam za praznike u Hrvatskoj, pa sam vidio na televiziji seriju "Na granici". Radioclaire, svaka čast što to gledaš, meni su te nove hrvatske serije užas! Naslovna pjesma mi je zatrovala glavu u roku od par dana (moja mama to gleda). :mrgreen: Ali vjerujem da je korisno za učenje jezika.
2 x
Si ce n'est toi, qui le fera? Si pas maintenant, quand sera-ce?

Return to “Language logs”