Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Professional Level: Russian, Spanish

Re: Let's see your language learning books

Postby David1917 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:36 am

rsz_image1.jpg

This is the view from my desk.

*Edited - updated with better image.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by David1917 on Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2 x

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:03 am

David1917 wrote:what is the file size limit?

Good question! I know it's posted somewhere but I always forget and then I have to resize my pics like 5 times until they fit...
0 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

aravinda
Green Belt
Languages: .

Postby aravinda » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:38 am

I couldn't find an exact file size limit but there's this thread Resizing images. Not sure if these limits have changed since.
rdearman wrote:
Montmorency wrote:
rdearman wrote:400x600

Thanks. Is there a kB limit as well?

I didn't see one in the Administrator panel, but that doesn't mean there isn't one.
1 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:34 pm

I use a width of 400 pixels for most of my horizontal pictures, and they then fill out less than half the space. So 800 pixel should be the upper limit, but preferably less than that.
1 x

David1917
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Professional Level: Russian, Spanish

Postby David1917 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:57 pm

There's a really cool bookstore on campus here run by an old hippie lady. The hours of the store are highly variable - basically whenever she feels like being open, it's open. I've passed by every day for the last couple of weeks on my lunch break and it's been closed, but today it was finally open. There's a solid 3 bookshelves filled with language books, though the majority of them are works in Spanish, French, Italian and German, there are books in many languages as well as occasionally learning materials. For instance today I saw in there the "Just Listen 'N Learn" Russian, Cortina books for Greek and French, a later printing of the first edition of McNaughton's Reading & Writing Chinese, and the 2nd Edition of Colloquial Persian by Moshiri (which I again passed up on because of the asinine romanization, moreover because I discovered there to be extensive notes from the previous user).

I did come away with these two books though:

rsz_1img_6210.jpg

That crack in the binding of the Assimil is troubling, though the pages are in good condition. Moreover, she had not priced it, so on the fly gave it to me for $3. The cheapest Without Toil available on Amazon is $15.

rsz_2img_6211.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4 x

Decidida
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (sidelined), Haitian Creole (beginner), Latin (forgotten), Ancient Greek (sidelined)

Postby Decidida » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:47 am

I spend a lot more time on Haitian Creole than Spanish, but have more Spanish books.

It is rare to find a Creole book used or in a brick and mortar store. I have to find and purchase things online. I make few spur of the moment Creole purchases because I see something new that is bright and shiny.
2 x

datsunking
Languages: Spanish B2/C1, German A2/B1, French A1

Postby datsunking » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:11 am

I can't seem to upload photos easily, but I have a personal library approaching 3000 books :D

Most of which are Math, Physics, banking, money. I'd guess half are in other languages, I have 28-30 different ones? Assimil, Teach Yourself, I guess finding language books (especially rare ones) has become a hobby. I know I have Hawaiian and a few other odd ones as well.

My apartment literally has no more room for shelves...
2 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:40 pm

I have put my main series of shelves so that I can get behind them, and at the backside of those shelves I store my fictional works - mostly from my study years where I still read that kind of stuff, but also a few epic masterworks like the chef d'oeuvres of Tolkien (in English and Esperanto) and a few books in 'small' languages like Low German. These books are accessible from the backside, but I don't have to be reminded of their existence. I may have got the idea af shelves in layers from Sloane's museum in London, but his shelves are movable and accessed from the front. The front is reserved for history books in many volumes (Grimborg, Politiken), travel guides and field guides covering the fauna in most of the world, but most importantly my entire collection of linguistic tools like dictionaries and grammars.

I have a second series of bookcases along another wall (not shown in the video). Here I keep Groves' dictionary of Music in 20 magnificent tomes, 59 big photo albums, books about statitistics, economics etc., magazines and around 450 VHS video tapes with old TV programs (which I keep for purely nostalgic reasons even though my last remaining video deck is in my bedroom, where I never watch videos).

And my paper bin is circular and half a meter wide...
1 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:53 am

This is about a third of my language related stuff - mostly excludes antique books, native material and a lot of stuff I have in boxes. It's sort of messy right now...
8 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:31 pm

And my latest language related acquisitions, a few old German books, Hebrew Lexicon from 1802 and a Deep Learning handbook.
2 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Return to “General Language Discussion”