A Very Dead Language Log (Abandoned--Admin, feel free to delete))

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Re: Cèid's Super Happy Fun Language Log

Postby IronMike » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:28 pm

Cèid Donn wrote:Breton

Instead of Irish, I went and let myself get distracted by Breton. A couple weeks ago I found this site of old grammar articles that had been published in the Breton magazine Ya ! (and previously in the book Yezhadur !) and now are archived online for free. It's a treasure trove of answers to the kinds of questions Breton learners have, so this made me quite happy. Today I read through A1: Eo pe ez eus ? and A2: A-benn : disoc’h ha neket pal.

• Day 6 --Breton: read through 2 articles on Breton grammar in Breton and wrote down example sentences and notes in my Breton notebook

Awesome! I love Breton. I have one or two texts for English speakers and I'm always on the look-out for the one Esperanto version of Brezhoneg--buan hag aes. I'll follow your log with great interest.
1 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt
Languages: en-us (n); français, gàidhlig, gaeilge, cymraeg, brezhoneg, español

Postby Cèid Donn » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:01 am

I completed the English version of Buan hag aes when I first started studying Bretona number of years ago. I found it anything but buan or aes :P at the time and, because it was a used copy that had started falling apart by the time I completed it, I packed it away and haven't really looked at it since. But my available resources at the time were very limited, especially since my French reading skills were not up to snuff back then.

Breton won't be a huge focus for me for Q1 2019, because I had planned to focus on Irish a bit, but I love Breton. I read it almost every day, well, every time I check twitter because I follow so many Breton speakers there. And I'm doing the Breton course Clozemaster, which is just making me want to make oom in my study schedule for Breton, but I really can't right now, not without dropping something else. But later in the year I plan to focus on it more, to hopefully improve my grammar and writing and read a couple proper books in Breton before the year is through.
1 x
Note from an educator and former ESL/test skills tutor: Any learner, including self-learners, can use the CEFR for self-assessment. The CEFR is for helping learners progress and not for gatekeeping and bullying.

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:14 am

I wonder whatever happened to Kervaker? I used to go to that website for Breton lessons in English, but now it seems the website is dead.

If you can, please share some of your Breton twitter folks whom you follow.

(Goes to Twitter to see if any of his Cornish twitter friends have tweeted recently...)
0 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt

Postby Cèid Donn » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:20 am

Whoever was paying for the web domain for Kervaker stopped paying, it seems. I tried to find out if anyone knew anything more about it some months ago and nada. It was a very old site, I think it was up for about 16 years, maybe longer. It's unfortunate because in addition to the nice, convenient lessons with audio of speakers with very good Breton pronunciation, there were some short texts for reading practice from old OOP Breton readers, like from the 1970's--they talked about record players, hanging out at the ti-krampouez after school and how chic demin was. They were hilarious. But I lazily never bothered to copy them into a .doc for safe keeping. Alas. :cry:

Edit: the rest of this comment was removed per my discretion
Last edited by Cèid Donn on Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5 x
Note from an educator and former ESL/test skills tutor: Any learner, including self-learners, can use the CEFR for self-assessment. The CEFR is for helping learners progress and not for gatekeeping and bullying.

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt

Postby Cèid Donn » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:33 am

All this talk about Breton made me think of this song.

The lyrics are on the You Tube page, but the refrain "Netra ne blij din-me/'Vel ur banne kafe" translates into English as "Nothing pleases me as much as a cup of coffee."

It's after 2 AM here and I'm resisting the urge to drink coffee (or caffeinated tea) because I hope to get back to sleep sometime before sunrise (I had gone to bed earlier but woke up just before midnight). I haven't been sleeping well lately because because of one of my various health issues. Granted, insomnia like this does allow me more time to work on my languages, although it's slow work because I often have to re-read what I just read or re-play what I just heard/watched. I'm not exactly at my most optimal state after just a couple hours of sleep.

The 2019 365 Day Language Challenge : 8 / 365

• Day 7 -- French: did 2 dictations at Une dictée par jour, one Niveau Vert ("L'enfant et la cave") and one Niveau Rouge ("La horde de sangliers"). I much preferred the Niveau Vert one because it was relatively easy and made me feel like I'm winning at French. :D I also worked on recording a list of words I'm collecting from my Hero of the Kingdom playthrough that I want to better utilize in my recallable vocabulary in my French notebook.

• Day 8 -- Indonesian: This is what I've been doing at this hour of the morning. ;) I watched this video of "Turtle's Flute," a Brazilian children's story translated into Indonesian. After watching it, I copied it down in my Indonesian notebook. It's nice because it uses a lot of vocabulary that I know, plus some useful words I'm less familiar with. I also reviewed chapter 7 in TY Indonesian and reviewed 44 words in my Memrise Indonesian course.
3 x

Maiwenn
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) & French
focusing on: MSA & Moroccan Arabic
backburner: German
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7321

Postby Maiwenn » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:02 am

Cèid Donn wrote:It's after 2 AM here and I'm resisting the urge to drink coffee (or caffeinated tea) because I hope to get back to sleep sometime before sunrise (I had gone to bed earlier but woke up just before midnight). I haven't been sleeping well lately because because of one of my various health issues. Granted, insomnia like this does allow me more time to work on my languages, although it's slow work because I often have to re-read what I just read or re-play what I just heard/watched. I'm not exactly at my most optimal state after just a couple hours of sleep.

Kousk! (If only it were that simple....) Arabat evañ ur banne kafe! I hope you get some rest soon.

Edited to add that I'm sad to hear about Kervarker. Hopefully it gets put back up soon.
2 x
SC reading: 3819 / 10000 AR
SC reading: 3334 / 5000 FR
SC reading: 65 / 2500 DE :?

Corrections are always welcome. :)

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt

Postby Cèid Donn » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:02 pm

Trugarez, Maiwenn ! I was able to get to sleep shortly after making that post. Bored myself to sleep, I guess. :mrgreen:

C’hoant am boa da gousket diwezhat met ma c'hizhier a c'hoantaent lein. :lol:

(I had wanted to sleep late but my cats wanted breakfast.)

Had a funny dream last night after getting back to sleep where I was on Deep Space 9 (the Star Trek show--yes, I'm a trekkie), explaining Indonesian grammar to Doctor Bashir and Chief O'Brien while the Dave Brubeck Quartet was playing in the background. :geek:
4 x

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt

Postby Cèid Donn » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:30 am

I flirted with the idea of signing up for the Output challenge, but no. I did the numbers and for me to even do a half challenge in either Gaelic or French would require so much time that I would have neglect the other one, and I'm not willing to do that. I very deliberately choose to study French and Gaelic side by side at my stage in both these languages, and it's not a gesture toward the Auld Alliance, although that is a nice, historically appropriate reference. :D (by the way, that's an Seann-Chaidreachas in Gaelic and la Vieille Alliance in French.)

Anyhow, I've signed up for three of the forum's current challenges. I think that's enough. :P

My health isn't cooperating again today, so I took it easy-ish.

Intermediate Welsh : 5 / 40

• Chapter 5: Comparison of adjectives I

Intermediate Irish : 3 / 25

• Chapter 3: Focus structures

German Quickly : 15 / 36

• Chapter 14-15: weak verbs--regular and irregular

I actually did these a couple weeks ago, but I did then again to review, this time writing down the exercises in my German notebook.

I've being doing Clozemaster for Irish, Welsh and Breton daily--I've finished the Gaelic course and am uncertain if down the line the sentences I've "mastered" will decay so I can review them again. I know you can reset them with Pro but I'm not going to get Pro at this point.

I've largely been ignoring Duolingo, even using the streak freeze option the past couple of days (and today most likely), because I'm pretty bored with it right now and I'm just not going to force myself to do it. I have enough lingots to buy streak freezes for over a year, if I want to hang onto my streak, not that it means anything, but hey.

On Memrise, I'm focusing on French practice and Indonesian, with a little Breton practice too. I'm trying to get back to doing German and Swedish on Memrise, but I'm being fickle about what courses I should do for each of those languages.

i keep seeing people here talk about the DLI and FSI courses and I've been looking into them when I have the time, to see if any could useful for me. I am interested in particular in the Spanish drills that (if I recall correctly) IronMike was telling Bex about, because I went back to my very-PT work this week, where I'm always in contact with Spanish speakers, and I have had the least amount of exposure to Spanish over these past holidays than I have had in years, due to me basically staying home and working on my other TLs. And I feel like I can't do anything in Spanish, even though the knowledge is there, behind the Gaelic, French, Welsh, German, Irish, Breton, Indonesian... So I'm looking for something to just get me back into using Spanish. Granted, I could use 50Languages as well, but I like using different resources to see the language in as many different contexts as possible, as that's a thing that works well for me.

The 2019 365 Day Language Challenge : 9 / 365

• Day 9 --French: after I did my daily Memrise goal for my French vocab course, I copied 10 new words from the most recent unit I've done in that course into my French notebook--auparavant, parcourir, paraître, démarrer, parvenir, gâcher, bouleverser, mêler, renouveler, renier--and wrote sentences using each. Then I did a Niveau Bleu dictation "L'aventure d'une mouche." Did Ok on it, but there's definitely room for improvement. :P
4 x

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt

Postby Cèid Donn » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:42 am

My health is still an issue. I don't want to go into detail about it, but it's been a rough and kind of scary start to 2019 for me. Focusing on my languages has been very helpful in keeping myself in a more positive frame of mind.

I found a book that I think will work for my Indonesian portion of the short story challenge, but it's likely that it's way beyond my reading level. Contemporary Indonesian literature, from what I've been reading in my hunt for stories to use for this challenge, seems incredibly fascinating and diverse, at least to me as someone who really has not gotten exposed to a lot of media created from an Indonesian viewpoint, and it's something that I think I can look forward to once I get my reading skills up to snuff. Unfortunately the Indonesian short story writers that I was looking into are not available on US-side Amazon.com, so I ordered Hugan by Tere Liye, which from what I can gather from user reviews is not a traditional novel, but more of a work of conceptual fiction divided into 5 parts. The 5 parts seem to be able to stand on their own, like short stories, but the stories are all part of a longer story arc about romance and longing set in the near future. I won't even pretend to think I can read this level of material comfortably, but I'll take a crack at it. It's either this or interlinear A1 texts that are too basic for my level, because that's about all I have been able to find so far.

I haven't gotten back to Japanese yet as I had hoped, because my energy levels have been so low. I haven't even found the energy to watch the third Godzilla anime movie on Netflix that was released earlier this week. :D As for prepping for Darija, I am slowly working away at learning the Arabic script with the Arabic Alphabet app available on Google Play. Despite it's boring name, it's a rather good app and I am finding it quite helpful.

Now, some updates:

Short Story challenge

• Week 1: Gaelic -- "Top Twenties" by Michael Klevenhaus, from An Claigeann aig Damien Hirst, Leabhar 1
  • Week 2: French -- "Les révoltés de la Bounty" by Jules Verne

Not quite as enjoyable as 20000 lieues sous les mers, but a decent read for a short story.

The 2019 365 Day Language Challenge : 11 / 365

• Day 10 -- French: wrote an entry in my journal about a fond memory from college; reviewed the futur antérieur

• Day 11 -- Indonesian: reviewed chapters 8-9 in TY Indonesian and shadowed the dialogues; read Pelajaran 1: Berbelanja I and did the silly Flash exercise
1 x

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt

Postby Cèid Donn » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:37 pm

Overdue update on my SC progress:

French Films SC : 40 / 100 -- 3615 minutes ( +295 minutes)

• 3 episodes of Les Revenants - 160 minutes
  • 1 episode of Call My Agent! (Dix pour cent) -- 45 minutes
  • 2 episodes of A Very Secret Service (Au service de la France) -- 44 minutes

I seemed to have screwed up the total for the progress bar for this at an earlier point in this log (I think I was dividing the total by 60 minutes and not 90 minutes) but it should be correct now.

French Books SC : 22 / 100 -- 1081 pages (+465 pages)

• finished Vingt mille lieues sous les mers -- 465 pages

Gaelic Films SC : 14 / 100 -- 1272 minutes ( +82 minutes)

• Guthan nan Eilean Series 2: Outdoors (You Tube playlist) -- 82 minutes

Gaelic Books SC : 14 / 100 -- 680 pages ( +88 pages)

• finished Tuath air a' Bhealach -- 88 pages

The 2019 365 Day Language Challenge : 13 / 365

• Day 12 -- Gaelic: wrote about some of my thoughts and impressions about the Guthan nan Eilean series 2: Outdoors in my journal; made some notes on vocabulary used in the series

• Day 13 -- Welsh: after being rudely awakened way too early by the nasty weather we're having here, I reviewed chapters 1-4 in Intermediate Welsh and did Say Something in Welsh lesson 22 while my cats gave me impatient looks ("She should be feeding us but she's just sitting there making weird noises")--I'm debating whether to subscribe to get access to Level 2 and 3 as I've only got 3 more free lessons left to do.

I hadn't realized until this morning that the Say Something in Welsh site had lessons for a few other languages, including Manx and Cornish. Not as many lessons as for Welsh, but hey.
4 x

Return to “Language logs”