Radioclare's 2019 log (Croatian/Russian)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Daniel N.
Green Belt
Languages: Croatian (N), English (C1), German (beginner)

Re: Radioclare's 2019 log (Croatian/Russian)

Postby Daniel N. » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:16 pm

Radioclare wrote:Thank you Daniel N; this looks really interesting :) I just had a search online and I couldn't find the Croatian version for sale anywhere (it looked like it was out of stock/out of print), so maybe I will have to buy the English version.

Croatian
. . . There are only a few words which I've really struggled with:

huškački - This adjective has been used lots of times, but I don't know what it means, except that I think it's being applied to people who are in favour of and/or trying to promote war. Maybe something a bit like 'war-mongering'?

miting - Despite how it looks, I don't think this has the same meaning as English 'meeting'. At least in this book, it is not being used to describe something like a business meeting where a small group of people sit in a room. As far as I can tell, it seems to be describing some sort of large (outdoor?) event of a political nature, maybe something like a rally? The plural is mitinzi :D

I'll send you a PM with the link to the PDF of 1941.

miting is indeed a rally. Huškački is something when you promote hatred. The verb huškati means make/suggest someone attack or hate someone else. The perfective is nahuškati.
Last edited by Daniel N. on Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
Check Easy Croatian (very useful for Bosnian, Montenegrin and Serbian as well)

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:23 pm

Russian also has митинг. Yeah basically a rally/protest.
2 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Postby Radioclare » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:22 pm

Daniel N. wrote:miting is indeed a rally. Huškački is something when you promote hatred. The verb huškati means make/suggest someone attack or hate someone else. The perfective is nahuškati.

Thank you, that's really helpful and makes sense :)

5 January
Today has mostly been about unpacking and doing post-holiday laundry!

Russian
Now that I'm back home I have the internet again (yay!) and so I've been able to clear my Memrise backlog (18 mins). After I'd done that I felt virtuous and decided to clear my Clozemaster backlog too. I thought that would take about 10 minutes but I obviously seriously misjudged how long it had been since I last logged into Clozemaster :lol: 45 minutes later, I finally got to the end of my reviews. That left me without any motivation to do any textbook studying!

Total time = 63 minutes. Streak = 5 days

Croatian
I've watched two more episodes of 'Na granici' this evening, which was fun. I've got a few more episodes which I missed over Christmas to catch up on, but the series is going on a bit of a break now (possibly until the end of January), so I'll need to find something else to watch temporarily.
3 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:28 pm

Miting - rhymes with s*tting.
0 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:01 pm

reineke wrote:Miting - rhymes with s*tting.

Oh dear! The only thing worse than an English word taking a different meaning in another language is an English word which takes a different meaning and a different pronunciation :(

6 January
The final day of holiday before I have to go back to work!

Russian
I opened chapter 11 of the Penguin Russian course, which was where I stopped before Christmas, but I seem to have had such a good time in Finland that I've forgotten everything I've learned. So I spent some time revising recent chapters and I think I'll start again at the beginning of chapter 11 tomorrow evening. In an attempt to be virtuous I did more reviews on Memrise and Clozemaster and remembered I haven't actually finished learning the vocab from chapter 10 in Memrise, so I planted another 20 words. I then tried to be super-virtuous and log into Duolingo but I lost the will to live after about 5 minutes.

Total time = 51 minutes. Streak = 6 days

Croatian
I read another 50 pages or so of 'Dvadeset godina samostalne Hrvatske' and I'm still really enjoying it. I was hoping to finish it this weekend, but I'm reading too slowly :lol: And I watched another couple of episodes of 'Na granici'. I've only got half an episode left to catch up on now before it starts up again on TV. I might try watching some news programmes for the rest of the month, rather than getting into another series, as Serpent has reminded me that I can actually count these for the SC :)
5 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:58 pm

7 January
First day back at work after the holidays. I had 195 emails since I last cleared them on 24 Dec. What is wrong with these people who send emails during their Christmas holidays?!

Russian
I was planning to do lots of Memrise on the train to work this morning and things got off to a good start when I actually managed to get a seat. Unfortunately the seat was next to a guy who spent the entire journey praying out loud and it drove me mad! I managed less than 10 minutes of Memrise before I was forced to quit and blast Serbian music into my ears as loudly as I could to try and drown him out. I have done some more Memrise on my computer this evening as penance.

I've also restarted chapter 11 of my Penguin course and spent this evening revising the sections on the past tense. I did the exercises, which were very easy. I like the past tense :)

Total time = 59 minutes. Streak = 7 days
5 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:32 pm

8 January
A very frustrating day at work; one of those where something goes wrong and you can't stop being annoyed about it, even after the end of the working day. If it wasn't for the challenge, I definitely wouldn't have done any Russian today!

Russian
I did a bit of Memrise on the train to work today, but I didn't manage to get a seat so after a while I had to give up because it was too cramped. This evening I returned to chapter 11 of Penguin Russian and worked through the sections and exercises on reflexive verbs. I feel like I'm starting to grasp these now, but there definitely aren't enough exercises in the book so I'll have to go back to the Schaums at some point to practise properly. There is a lot of new vocab to learn in Chapter 11 so tomorrow I'm planning to concentrate on putting that into Memrise.

Total time = 36 minutes. Streak = 8 days

Croatian
I finished all the available episodes of 'Na granici', so yesterday I experimented with watching an episode of the news programme, 'Dnevnik'. I was expecting it to be about half an hour but it lasted for 45 minutes instead, which felt quite long. This is the first time in ages that I've watched Croatian news and my observations are that it was both more difficult and more boring as a listening exercise than I expected :lol:

In terms of difficulty, both the vocabulary and sentences are more complex then in telenovelas. I guess telenovelas have become my comfort zone now and I can follow them without 100% concentration. Like if I get bored and I want to check my phone, I can mostly do that without losing the plot. Watching 'Dnevnik' felt like regressing a bit in my abilities and going back to the days when listening was hard work which required proper concentration. I think this means it would be good for me to force myself to walk 'Dnevnik' more often!

It really did seem a bit dull though :lol: Maybe I was just unlucky, but the first few news items were dealing with internal politics and I don't know enough about Croatian politics to find this exciting. Perhaps if I watch the news more frequently, I'll get into it. At one point they started interviewing someone who I thought seemed a right crank; he came into the studio wearing a T-shirt with a slogan on it, then began his interview by forcefully going off on a tangent which didn't relate to the question the presenter had asked him, ignoring the presenter's best efforts to get him back on track. I hadn't understood who he was when he was introduced so I eventually googled him... and found out that he was in fact not a crank but the leader of a main opposition party. So yes, I definitely have a lot left to learn :lol:

The second half of the programme was more interesting. There were some items about the celebration of Orthodox Christmas in Croatia, which were genuinely interesting, and then some lighter news items which were easier to follow. There was nothing about Brexit, which was quite refreshing :lol: I'm going to give it another go this evening and try to get through another episode before bed.
6 x

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Languages: English (n)
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:07 am

Radioclare wrote:This evening I returned to chapter 11 of Penguin Russian and worked through the sections and exercises on reflexive verbs. I feel like I'm starting to grasp these now, but there definitely aren't enough exercises in the book so I'll have to go back to the Schaums at some point to practise properly.

It's taken me a millennia to get a tenuous grip on reflexive verbs in Polish and Italian, so this is quite an accomplishment!

Radioclare wrote:Croatian
I finished all the available episodes of 'Na granici'

Any chance this title has something to do with being at a border? It looks a lot like Polish "na granicy" (at the border, though I know it also has some other slightly different meanings like "on the verge").
2 x
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

Daniel N.
Green Belt
Languages: Croatian (N), English (C1), German (beginner)

Postby Daniel N. » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:20 am

StringerBell wrote:Any chance this title has something to do with being at a border? It looks a lot like Polish "na granicy" (at the border, though I know it also has some other slightly different meanings like "on the verge").

It means exactly the same, at the border, but it could also mean on the verge.
2 x
Check Easy Croatian (very useful for Bosnian, Montenegrin and Serbian as well)

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:14 am

German Grenze has a Slavic origin too :)
2 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Return to “Language logs”