General discussion about learning languages
NoManches
Blue Belt
Languages: English - (N)
Spanish - B2 +
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7942

Let's see your language learning books

Postby NoManches » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:08 pm

Something tells me this has been done before....but oh well.

These are basically all the reference books I have for Spanish, with a few random novels thrown in. Since I've been using my Kindle, I have saved a lot of room (and money) by going mostly digital. I still prefer to buy grammar/reference books in their paper version though.

I've seen pictures of the books some of the members have here (aka Iversen) so I know mine is going to be blown out of the water!

5 x
DOUBLE Super Challenge
Spanish Movies
: 10795 / 18000

Spanish Books
: 4415 / 10000

Chung
Blue Belt
Languages: SPEAKS: English*, French
STUDIES: Hungarian, Italian, Ukrainian
OTHER: Czech, German, Polish, Slovak
STUDIED: Azeri, BCMS/SC, Estonian, Finnish, Korean, Latin, Northern Saami, Russian, Slovenian, Turkish
DABBLED: Bashkir, Chuvash, Crimean Tatar, Inari Saami, Kazakh, Kyrgyz, Latvian, Lithuanian, Meadow Mari, Mongolian, Romanian, Tatar, Turkmen, Tuvan, Uzbek

Re: Let's see your language learning books

Postby Chung » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:08 pm

The nearest thread here is this one but it's been done on HTLAL - twice no less :ugeek:

Language Learning Material-upload photos!
Your language-materials bookshelf?
0 x

NoManches
Blue Belt
Spanish - B2 +

Postby NoManches » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:18 pm

Chung wrote:The nearest thread here is this one but it's been done on HTLAL - twice no less :ugeek:

Language Learning Material-upload photos!
Your language-materials bookshelf?

Thanks...I had a feeling it was on the old HTLAL site! Well, I'll let this one stand since we have a ton of new members here who might be interested in this topic
0 x
DOUBLE Super Challenge
Spanish Movies

Spanish Books

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:04 pm

Back in prehistoric times when dinosaurs still roamed the Earth and HTLAL wasn't reduced to a zombie yet I made a number of Youtube videos, and in one of them (from 2011) I show my linguistic book collection in a video that lasts almost 15 incredibly boring minutes.
7 x

David1917
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Professional Level: Russian, Spanish

Postby David1917 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:18 pm

I've been thinking about making a thread like this. So I'll take a pic when I get home. I'm wondering if this might be better suited for the Language Resources subforum, though.

Iversen wrote:I made a number of Youtube videos, and in one of them (from 2011) I show my linguistic book collection in a video that lasts almost 15 incredibly boring minutes.

I'm certain I will find this to be the opposite of boring. I re-watch Arguelles' language program review videos all the time. I find them endlessly fascinating. I'm eager to see Speakeasy's collection, which is apparently so massive as to have broken a bookshelf recently.
1 x

NoManches
Blue Belt
Spanish - B2 +

Postby NoManches » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:17 pm

David1917 wrote:I've been thinking about making a thread like this. So I'll take a pic when I get home. I'm wondering if this might be better suited for the Language Resources subforum, though.

Iversen wrote:I made a number of Youtube videos, and in one of them (from 2011) I show my linguistic book collection in a video that lasts almost 15 incredibly boring minutes.

I'm certain I will find this to be the opposite of boring. I re-watch Arguelles' language program review videos all the time. I find them endlessly fascinating. I'm eager to see Speakeasy's collection, which is apparently so massive as to have broken a bookshelf recently.

You might be right. Hoping a moderator will see this and move it to the right place
0 x
DOUBLE Super Challenge
Spanish Movies

Spanish Books

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...

Postby Iversen » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:29 pm

David1917 wrote:I'm wondering if this might be better suited for the Language Resources subforum, though.

Maybe - except that in the resources subforum I would expect threads about specific resources which other users then might try to get hold of. But in this thread we have so far not mentioned individual books or CDs or whatever, so I would tend to let stay where it is now. Actually the main purpose is to show others what kind of resource users we are. Some collect stuff until their bookshelves break, others don't...
1 x

David1917
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Professional Level: Russian, Spanish

Postby David1917 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:33 pm

Iversen wrote:
David1917 wrote:I'm wondering if this might be better suited for the Language Resources subforum, though.

Maybe - except that in the resources subforum I would expect threads about specific resources which other users then might try to get hold of. But in this thread we have so far not mentioned individual books or CDs or whatever, so I would tend to let stay where it is now. Actually the main purpose is to show others what kind of resource users we are. Some collect stuff until their bookshelves break, others don't...

True true. I was also thinking about starting a "haul" thread wherein people can post what they got in the mail or found in a used bookshop. That way the thread will stay "alive" for aeons as we keep collecting things.
1 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:26 pm

.. or stuff we carry home from trips abroad, like the following collection from a trip to the Balkan peninsula, photographed on the floor of the Mother Tereza Airport in Albania. It covers 8 languages (English, German, Italian, Russian, Romanian, Greek, Serbian, Albanian). I had also bought a Romanian grammar (in Romanian), but forgot it in a hotel room somewhere along the route .... arrgh!

F3922b05_MotherTereza.jpg

.. and its continuation (from the same trip), taken in Fühlsbüttel in Hamburg. This second collection covers eleven languages more, including some I don't intend to study in the near future (Finnish, Tagalog and three Indian languages). Those books that I actually have used/read represent the following languages: High German, Low German, Norwegian, Icelandic and Latin (Asterix Gallus) ... plus Corsican which is counted as a dialect of Italien (not French).

f3923b05_Fuhlsbüttel.jpg

Some of us are raving mad...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:02 am

I will hold off on responding with pictures to this thread because I don't want those of you who have entered my giveaway to scan my bookshelves trying to guess what book you might win!

Speaking of giveaway, if you haven't yet, please enter my 1000th post giveaway!
1 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Return to “General Language Discussion”