Dutch Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Elsa Maria
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Intermediate Danish.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6009

Re: Dutch Study Group

Postby Elsa Maria » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:58 pm

Welcome to the Study Group, thoughtlessboy and hagestolz!

Thank you very much, tommus, for the info about the royal speeches. I have been following the Queen of Denmark's New Year's Eve speeches for years, and they have been great learning tools. There is a lot of repeated vocabulary, which helps with comprehension. I will definitely fold the King's speeches into my Dutch studies as soon as I feel ready for them.

Do any of you have a log? If you post the link here, I promise to read your log. I have a log, but I have not had the habit of posting in it. I'm going to try to do better this year, but that I won't promise, lol. Mine is linked in my profile.
1 x
Corrections are always welcome.

hagestolz
Yellow Belt
Languages: English(N); Ger, Fr, Sp, Cz, It, Du, Ru, Gk, Port

Postby hagestolz » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:36 pm

Here is a link to my log, which I started yesterday

https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9859
1 x

thoughtlessboy
Languages: English (N), French (B1), Russian (beginner), Dutch (beginner)

Postby thoughtlessboy » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:57 pm

tommus wrote:I still find word order to be a challenge. It is one thing to memorise the rules, but it is yet another to get it right when you are speaking.

It is the last line on Page 32. • kat "cat" + -tje = kitten. That would produce 'kattje" which has too many 't's.

Probably the most important part of this Grammar Guide is the section on 'de' and 'het' words. Lots of good advice and an important part of getting the de/het correct, as well as getting the adjective correct. In the long term, I think that the proper usage of de/het comes from massive exposure to native Dutch reading and listening.

Ah yeah I wouldn't have noticed that.

It's the same with word order, it'll only feel natural after countless hours of use. Though I'm nowhere near needing to worry about that yet!
1 x

Skud Bliksem
Languages: French (N)
English (C1)
Spanish (A1/A2)
German (beginner)
Dutch (beginner)

Postby Skud Bliksem » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:34 pm

Hello,

I'm glad to see that there are others Dutch learners here. I fell in love with that language few months ago during a surf camp. A lot of dutch people were there and I made some friends. Even if they speak english. I would like to have the opportunity to totally understand them. Maybe for why not going to work into Netherland one day, or even into Belgium. Some of my ancestors are flemish and I really like the idea to in somehow going back to my roots.

For the ressources:
As phone app, I use :duolinguo, anki, hellotalk
My actual exercise notbook is "Dutch for self-study" by Hinke van Kampen and Ruud Stumpel.
And few months ago before going into Netherland for hollidays I used "Conversational Dutch quick and easy" by Yatir Nitzany. But I don't really recommend it, it's a good book but there are some mistakes, like for instance two pages which are totally in German!

Then, I also like to listen the Dutch radio on nederland.fm when I take my shower or when I bike commute.
2 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:11 am

Hi guys, I'd like to join too!

I would've joined earlier but the 365 Day Challange has been taking up a fair amount of my time to set it up, as well as preparations for moving house, looking after my kids, keeping up with my minimum study requirements for the challenge in 3 languages and... well as you can see, pretty busy.

Resources- I have perhaps most decent 'mainstream' Dutch learning resources in the way of courses that an English speaker can think of, with a good selection of Assimil French-based courses included. In other words (as is my usual), more courses than you can poke a stick at!

My father was born in the Netherlands, but moved to Australia (where I live) with his family when he was about 4 y/o. He continued to use a mixture of Dutch and English with his family until adulthood. Well, I guess it continued afterwards, but it was much less frequent as he had his own household and family, in which English was the only language. So I never heard the language spoken, or if I did, I certainly don't recall having heard it. I only briefly saw my grandparents on a handful of occasions during their lifetime due to family disputes, and thus never really got to know them. Ironically, I did get the chance to meet some family in the Netherlands on a few occasions, so I got to know some of them better than my own grandparents.

I have been able to obtain Dutch citizenship thanks to my family history and pass it on to my children, so I feel like I owe it to the country and culture to learn the language. Not to mention that I love the Netherlands. I don't know what it is, but I just love it. My wife and I spent 5 months there in 2011 (we travelled a little but were based in Maastricht) and we learned as much Dutch as we could prior to arrival and during. I also learned a good deal of Dutch a number of years prior to that as my curiosity had been sparked.

Due to my focus on French for the last 5 or so years, Dutch and other languages have had to wait. I've recently started studying the language again and it's so nice to be doing so, but unfortunately it's quite far back in the recesses of my memory, much of which is over-run with cobwebs and is rather dilapidated. Still, I hope to make good progress over the coming year or two alongside continuing French and introducing Arabic, which I've never studied before.

hasta la próxima vez! (that's Dutch right? southern or Surinam Dutch?)
5 x

tommus
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Dutch (B2)

Postby tommus » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:16 pm

Plurals Forms of Dutch nouns

Lots of variations on how to pluralise Dutch nouns. Here is a brief explanation:

https://ielanguages.com/dutch-plural-nouns.html

Some interesting plurals are:

egg: ei - eieren
bone: been - beenderen
leg: been - benen
cow: koe - koeien

The ielanguages.com site is a very good resource for Dutch and many other languages.

https://ielanguages.com/dutch.html
1 x
Dutch: 01 September -> 31 December 2020
Watch 1000 Dutch TV Series Videos : 40 / 1000

Elsa Maria
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Intermediate Danish.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6009

Postby Elsa Maria » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:19 pm

Glad to see you here, Skud Bliksen and PeterMollenburg.

I am getting pretty excited about my trip to the Netherlands. If everything goes as planned, I will also be in Flanders for one day. I can't wait to go to the bookstores !

Before I go, I will get the second (reserved) post filled out with resources, participants, and so forth but please be patient. I'm a homeschool mum and we started back this week. The first few days back after the holidays are always an adjustment :)
3 x
Corrections are always welcome.

hagestolz
Yellow Belt
Languages: English(N); Ger, Fr, Sp, Cz, It, Du, Ru, Gk, Port

Postby hagestolz » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:01 am

This week I decided to revisit Dutch after a considerable break and have really enjoyed using the language again. I decided to reread 'De verrassing' by Ruth Rendell on Kindle. I already have highlighted vocabulary and notes from the first read and it's a great way of getting back up to speed. I listened to the evening news in Dutch and understood the gist of the stories. Input only for the foreseeable future. ( 2h25m)
1 x

tommus
Blue Belt

Postby tommus » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:37 pm

Question from Dutch Word of the Day for 7 January 2019.

https://www.transparent.com/word-of-the-day/today/dutch.html

That link just takes you to whatever "today" is. You need to then navigate to 7 January.

Je moet geen vrienden met hun worden. Het zijn sukkels.

Don't be friends with them. They are losers.

Note the "Het" instead of "Ze". Is this standard Dutch? Is this common usage? What are the guidelines for using "het" instead of "ze" or "zij"?
1 x

tommus
Blue Belt

Postby tommus » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:36 pm

The interesting municipality of Jurgensland

Here is a Dutch-language web site that has a lot of easy and intriguing reading for the language learner. I stumbled across this site through a link provided by zenmonkey although he probably didn't know it lead to Jurgensland.

It took me a while to figure out what this web site is all about. Many mysteries remain. It is an intriguing concept.

https://www.jurgensland.nl/

They even have a section on funny little stories in the Coffee Corner.

https://www.jurgensland.nl/koffiecorner.php

What can you discover about Jurgensland?
1 x

Return to “Study Groups”