Ani's 2019 Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Ani's 2019 Log

Postby Ani » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:24 am

Such an exciting title...

New year, new log.

I have tons of things to say, but I'm not going to do it now. I'd be lying if I said I was going to come back and edit this post :lol:

No big year in review, no complicated new plan. Just keeping on keeping on over here...

Wishing you all the best in 2019
15 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Re: Ani's 2019 Log

Postby IronMike » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:25 pm

Good luck with the move to the Lower 48, Ani!
2 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:59 am

IronMike wrote:Good luck with the move to the Lower 48, Ani!

Thank you!! All politics aside, we really need to get the govt running again so that I can move out of Alaska ...

I joined the 365 challenge with Spanish this year. I did language transfer yesterday. 30 minutes a day of language transfer is kind of mentally draining. I'm usually done around the 15 minute mark... I guess I've gotten wimpy. Oh well. Maybe I'll try and find something less demanding to mix in for a few minutes.. or maybe not. Might just be nice to finish it as fast as possible.

My French has improved enormously in the last 5ish months, but I'm suddenly feeling really unsatisfied with it again. I probably need more deliberate study of the things in know I keep messing up. Like I literally have a list of things I look up every time I need to use them and somehow I still manage not to learn it. I don't get it. I do get it, it's lack of attention to what I'm doing.

I got complimented on a sentence construction yesterday by my friend and of course I read that as "ok so you're saying that typically I would have screwed that up" :lol:

So my goal is to stop screwing up my more complicated thoughts. Tough order because I often mess them up in English ;) but not in the same way ..
10 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:04 am

Well I'm going to fail the 365 day challenge before the end of the week. It's so hard! I only have 7 minutes for today. I should fit them in but I keep getting right up to the end of the day and realizing I have minutes left to go.. some or all of them....
Either this will work and I'll be more consistent with Spanish, or I'll be the first participant to go negative.

When my brain is too tired for language transfer to be effective, I've been watching the YT channel Aprende español con Saby. It's super basic but a single watch though is still useful as a complete beginner, and it doesn't take any brain power.

I figure to reach my goals, I need to start being able to read trashy novels in Spanish by this summer. I should be able to do that with 2-3k vocab and basic grammar -- or really just the differences between Spanish & French.

I'm already wanderlust-ing for Breton. I'm planning a trip to Brittany this year, which I've been educated to understand a separate county from France. ;) I'm planning a visit to Merlin's tomb and other mythological sites in the area. There's absolutely no need for me to learn Breton in preparation for this buttttt.....

I looked into Assimil e-méthode. Didn't find any real reviews on our forum. Anyone know of any?
I almost bought it just because.. ya know.. supporting Assimil... But then I remembered I'm not supposed to be buying more language stuff for languages I'm not even studying..
Anyway I'll probably give it and buy it soon anyway...
Last edited by Ani on Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
6 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:19 am

You're likely to improve your Spanish faster than you'd expect :-) Reading in a few months from now won't be a problem. The active skills tend to be harder to acquire in a language related the one you know than the passive ones, that is the frustrating catch. But as far as reading and listening goes, you can have fun very soon.

365: we're likely to be both bellow 0 soon, it will be a funny race between the two od us :-D

Don't buy the e-mothod, if I may advise you. Garyb has recently written about it (basically a very annoying unprofessional looking app that takes away some pleasure from the great content, requires tons of logging on, is slow and not intuitive and less functional in some ways than a pdf and mp3) and I had written ages ago about their terms and conditions. Supporting a beloved publisher is great. Supporting their mistakes could only further convince them to continue making them

edit:adding that I've just read about another unhappy buyer of the emethod, hagestolz. both garyb and him have bought the Greek course e-method
5 x

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:51 am

Cavesa wrote:You're likely to improve your Spanish faster than you'd expect :-) Reading in a few months from now won't be a problem. The active skills tend to be harder to acquire in a language related the one you know than the passive ones, that is the frustrating catch. But as far as reading and listening goes, you can have fun very soon.

365: we're likely to be both bellow 0 soon, it will be a funny race between the two od us :-D

Don't buy the e-mothod, if I may advise you. Garyb has recently written about it (basically a very annoying unprofessional looking app that takes away some pleasure from the great content, requires tons of logging on, is slow and not intuitive and less functional in some ways than a pdf and mp3) and I had written ages ago about their terms and conditions. Supporting a beloved publisher is great. Supporting their mistakes could only further convince them to continue making them

edit:adding that I've just read about another unhappy buyer of the emethod, hagestolz. both garyb and him have bought the Greek course e-method

We can have our own score board where we just try to be less negative. I like it. Leave the perfectionism to the others.

Glad to know it's reasonable to be reading soon. I'm not really in any rush for the active skills. If you have any easyish book recommendations, l'll gladly accept. I love your taste in books :)

Thanks for chiming in on e method. I guess I'll buy the book, but then I absolutely can't buy it until I move. Or at least I can't *have* it. I can send it to my dad and have it waiting for me on the other side.
Our house was assessed for the move and they assessed us 6,000 lbs more than the allowed 16,000lbs.. 6klbs... And it's all because of the books. I have almost no furniture and no clothes, and a tiny kitchen without any fancy holiday china or whatever people have... I just have books.
4 x

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Postby cjareck » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:03 am

Ani wrote:Our house was assessed for the move, and they assessed us 6,000 lbs more than the allowed 16,000lbs.. 6klbs... And it's all because of the books. I have almost no furniture and no clothes, and a tiny kitchen without any fancy holiday china or whatever people have... I just have books.

Wow! I had to recalculate it into kilograms to have a better understanding of the mass. It is 10896 kg. Even if only half of the weight are books, then it seems you may have about 5000 of them. Much more than I have! The question exceeds the purpose of the forum and may already have been answered in some other place, but don't you mind telling me what kind of books they are?
1 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:39 pm

Aren't you carrying on your shoulders a full wall of books and several children to boot? You're also trusting a woman who says she doesn't own any clothes. What a great humble brag though.

Happy New Year, Ani.
3 x

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Postby cjareck » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:31 pm

reineke wrote:You're also trusting a woman who says she doesn't own any clothes.

My wife has fewer clothes than I so why not to trust Ani? ;)
2 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:03 pm

cjareck wrote:
reineke wrote:You're also trusting a woman who says she doesn't own any clothes.

My wife has fewer clothes than I so why not to trust Ani? ;)

You're one lucky guy (or a very smartly dressed gentleman). Ironmike recently poked fun of Slavic speakers with that "please to help" jab. Just thought to mention that.
1 x

Return to “Language logs”