A Very Dead Language Log (Abandoned--Admin, feel free to delete))

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
zjones
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1-certified), Spanish and Greek (abandoned)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9860

Re: Cèid's Super Happy Fun Language Log

Postby zjones » Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:53 pm

Thank you for your incredibly informative reply. You helped me more than you know! I have a better idea of what to expect from a Celtic language due to your log, and I can tell that it won't/wouldn't be easy to learn one. To be honest, I'm not sure that I'm quite ready for one in 2019. That's fine though, because I have a small list of languages that are waiting for their day, and either Scottish Gaelic or Breton is on that list. It would be tough to choose between them since I leveled the playing field between them by learning French, but I'm actually leaning toward learning Scottish Gaelic because it's likely that it is a heritage language for me. So far I have not learned any of my heritage languages, and the ones that I'm certain about (German and Danish) are not interesting to me.

Cèid Donn wrote:Plus I don't have to feel guilty about playing video games when I should be studying my TLs.

Oh my gosh, right? There are so many things that I allow in French that I don't allow in English... playing lots of video games, spending hours on YouTube, listening to podcasts all afternoon, and watching lots of French TV. This is actually one of the most fantastic things about learning languages as a hobby. :lol:

It's sad to hear the news about Duolingo. I stopped using it earlier this year because I was concerned about the direction that the company was heading, but it's still frustrating to hear that it's going public.
3 x

SGP
Blue Belt
Languages: DE (native), EN (C2), ES (B2), FR (B2); some more at various levels
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 30#p120230

Postby SGP » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:43 pm

Cèid Donn wrote:One other thing, and if you use Duolingo you may already know, is it's been revealed that Duolingo is going public via IPO in 2020, which confirms some feelings I have had about their change of direction over the past year. It also helped me to decide on what role Duolingo will be playing in my language learning in 2019.

Even after looking up the meaning of "IPO", I still didn't understand how that change would affect Duolingo itself (as a website or an app). The whole concept of IPO and its usual side-effects may be something much more obvious to some than others (because of the language, the geographical location, or whatever else might play a role).

One more change for 2019: I'm really thinking that I'll be starting Moroccan Arabic early next year. It just feels right to me. I don't have a great history to trying to learn Arabic, but why should I let that stop me?

Moroccan Arabic definitely is useful for communicating with both of Moroccan Arabs and those of the Moroccan Berbers who speak it, too. (They are very many. But it isn't something that we always , i.e. "in every single case", could rely on).

Just would like to point out that it greatly differs from Standard Arabic. Not all dialects are the same in that regard. Some are closer to it.
0 x
Previously known as SGP. But my mental username now is langmon.

Log

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt
Languages: en-us (n); français, gàidhlig, gaeilge, cymraeg, brezhoneg, español

Postby Cèid Donn » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:40 pm

Uh, ok, it's not quite 2019 yet, and I'm woozy and fatigued from a prolonged convalescence from a rather nasty cold--you know, I never got colds before I started working with young schoolkids but now it's like a big yearly event for me, and I can't say i care for it at all, but here's an upate!

FDEYGBSAD

Well, this little holiday project ended up crashing and burning almost at the moment of take-off. Oh well. Life. It happens. Let's move on. :lol:

Indonesian

I'm slowly oozing back into Indonesian. Indonesian may be "easy" but I'm at the point where I need to start developing some degree of actual, demonstrable competency beyond "I get the gist of what they're saying," and that's just hard work no matter what. Also, since I've barely worked on Indonesian in the past couple of months, there's quite a bit of stuff I need to review. I hope to finish Colloquial Indonesian and/or Teach Yourself Indonesian this year. I think I will start with the latter, since that's the one I haven't looked at in a while, and so it's less likely to make me feel restless as I re-read over familiar material.

Another thing.which I'm working on today, is making walking playlists with 50Languages audio, where the French-Indonesian audio (I ladder with French as much as I can) is followed by the Indonesian only audio, unit by unit. This is to give me extra chance to shadow the phrases as I walk.

Also I plan to work on the Clozemaster Indonesian course and review what I can with the Duolingo course, although since getting sick, I've had extremely little motivation to work on Duolingo.

There is also Memrise. I never finished the Indonesian course I started earlier this year, so I will try to work on that.

Japanese

Japanese is happening, in moderation. Since I will not have a lot of time to spend on Japanese, what i do will need to be very structured and purposeful. So to that end, I want to get back to working through my N5 Kanji study book, and that will be my central resource. Additionally, as time and mood permits, I will use Nihon Goals' Minna No Nihongo videos on You Tube to review grammar and vocabulary, as well as watch a couple other favorite You Tube channels for Japanese learners, and of course, I now have an excuse to resume watching Terrace House on Netflix. :D

Moroccan Darija

This will be happening, but further into 2019. I want to make sure I get my momentum back with Indonesian and Japanese first. I have Maiwenn's lovely list of resources to start with, and at the moment I am working slowly with an app to learn Arabic script. My previous foray into Arabic was with TY Gulf Arabic, and that text does not require you to learn the Arabic script, so this has been the main obstacle for me making any real progress with Arabic in any way. It's kept me away from any Arabic for so long, I've pretty much forgotten all the Gulf Arabic I had learned, so aside from Arabic loanwords I know from Indonesian, I will be starting Darija more or less with a clean slate.

Q1 2019 Grammar-palooza

For the first part of 2019, I want grammar to be my focus for French, German, Spanish, Welsh and Irish. For French, I will continue working through L'execisier from PUG, for German I will get back to German Quickly, for Welsh and Irish I'm using the Intermediate Welsh and Intermediate Irish workbooks by Routledge, and for Spanish I will resume working through the Practice Makes Perfect: Complete Spanish Grammar workbook that I usually dabble in when I have downtime at work. I will work on these books until I achieve a clear and decisive victory or, more likely, my eyes fall out of my head from boredom.

SC for French and Gaelic

I've given myself a break from the SC for the holidays, but plan to resume them in January. However, more for fun and relaxing than for studying, I have been watching The Hollow with French audio again and I am a positively thrilled with how much progress I have made in the past 6 months with my French listening comprehension. I'm by no means a French C1 superstar with my listening skills (yet ;) ), but compared to where I was with my listening skills when I got back to language study last May. I am very happy and excited. This gives me definite motivation to resume my SCs in 2019! :geek:

Other stuff

Despite being sick, I have started my walking+listening New Year's resolution, just with short walks. For my writing resolution, well, first I absolutely must get my study space in order. I live in a small house with two other adults, and personal space is at a premium. It'd be one thing if I was just studying a couple of languages but for example, I'm literally sitting next to a very disorganized pile of reference books for at least 6 different languages, and I can't find anything easily like this. Now, while I am the sort of person who likes a bit of chaos, it need to be on my terms. So first order of business for 2019 will be to sort this mess out so I can have a more comfortable study space.

As for other languages, at some point I hope to work in Swedish and Breton, but that may not be until later in the year. For now I will just dabble in Breton and Swedish on Clozemaster and Memrise.

Navajo is another language I will likely spend limited time on at some point in the year--I usually spend a few weeks working on it in November but I hope to do more this year--but Hawaiian may or may not happen in 2019. I have the Polynesian itch, I will not lie, I've had it for a long time and it gets a resurgence everytime I watch Moana (I love that movie), but other languages are a priority. I would like at least to finish the current Hawaiian Duolingo tree, and look into a more substantial recourse for long-term study.

Speaking of Moana, I really must find a way to get a French copy of this movie next year. I need this in my life.

So I suppose that's it for me in 2018. Merci, ciao !!!
4 x
Note from an educator and former ESL/test skills tutor: Any learner, including self-learners, can use the CEFR for self-assessment. The CEFR is for helping learners progress and not for gatekeeping and bullying.

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt

Postby Cèid Donn » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:29 pm

I signed up for the 365 Day Challenge. I'll be doing the generic option with my Celtic languages (Scottish Gaelic and Welsh, mainly, but also Irish and Breton), French and Indonesian. In theory this is doable for me. However, there are always those days where life is intrusive and belligerent, and my not-robust health is always a lingering issue, so we will see how I fare.

I will maintain a record of what I count towards the challenge here, specifying the language and activity I am counting for that day.

And of course, let me create a progress bar for it to copy and paste later on.

The 2019 365 Day Language Challenge : 0 / 365
2 x
Note from an educator and former ESL/test skills tutor: Any learner, including self-learners, can use the CEFR for self-assessment. The CEFR is for helping learners progress and not for gatekeeping and bullying.

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt

Postby Cèid Donn » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:18 pm

The 2019 365 Day Language Challenge : 1 / 365

• Update Day 1 -- Gaelic: wrote a journal entry, flipped frantically through Colin Mark's to find that word on the tip of my tongue, fussed over which verbal construction I should be using, edited and proof-checked it as best as I could despite being famished as it's lunchtime here, etc. etc. (or as we say in Gaelic, msaa, msaa...)

Edit: I don't want my log to pop up in the new posts list again today, so I'll just edit my morning post.

Well, today, as far as studying went, was kind of frustrating although I think it was pretty productive. My frustration today seems more due to my not getting enough sleep last night as well as depression-related moodiness and I wanted to type something up to help me feel like it's been a productive day, despite my mood.

In addition to writing some in Gaelic and also getting back to my Gaelic SC with resuming my latest novel, I did some French pronunciation practice and resumed working through L'exercisier. But, um, I've previously mentioned how much I hated my 2nd Year French class at uni eons ago because it was all old-style grammar exercises and drills, right? Actually, these days I'm OK with drills because they aren't nearly as fatiguing as grammar exercises. I'll even be doing some French verb conjugation drills on ListeningPractice.org in a minute before working on my Irish and Welsh workbooks tonight. I put off Irish and Welsh grammar (plus Clozemaster) for my last 2 hours of study today because those Routledge workbooks at least keep the exercises mercifully brief. L'exercisier, on the other hand...well, in this one chapter it asks you to caption an eight-panel cartoon of a guy going to see a psychiatrist using les verbes de volonté.

I did 3 panels and called it a night for that exercise. It just takes so much mental energy, especially since it's French. All you folks out there who complain about how you feel like you burn out on French quickly or that sometimes you feel like your French ability is regressing for no reason, it's not you, it's French. It's a vampire, I swear.

On Memrise, I hit 200 days on my streak with my French vocab course the day before Christmas Eve and then took a break from Memrise. But I'm slowly getting back to it, for French and Indonesian mainly, and maybe Welsh later on. Doing Indonesian on Memrise seems a bit more productive for me than doing the Indonesian course on Clozemaster at the moment because my overall Indonesian vocabulary is still pretty limited, and Memrise seems better for improving that than Clozemaster. But the good news is that over the past week I've been getting back into the swing with Indonesian, and it's starting to feel fun again. Fun is good, because all these verb roots and confixes plus the rules for reduplication can really make my head spin and I don't want that to discourage me too much at this stage. I really feel like if I stick with Indonesian through 2019 I could be a solid B2 at the end of the year and that would be amazing. :geek:
Last edited by Cèid Donn on Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4 x

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt

Postby Cèid Donn » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:07 am

I signed up for another challenge: Serpent's Reading Short Story challenge.

I have a request, if anyone can help. I am looking for short story recommendations for Irish and Indonesian. They can be online (preferably legal and free) or available via Amazon.com or another US-side seller, because I simply cannot afford shipping from either of those countries. For Irish, I would prefer contemporary adult or YA stories (post-spelling reform) and without any parallel English. For Indonesian, stories aimed at learners and children are fine, and parallel English is fine too.

No, I don't plan to update this every day but since I'm here:

The 2019 365 Day Language Challenge : 2 / 365

• Day 2 -- Gaelic: 30+ minutes uninterrupted reading on Dàna
2 x

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt

Postby Cèid Donn » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:39 pm

I had a dream in Gaelic last night. Can I count that toward my 365 Day Challenge? I kid, I kid. :mrgreen: But it was a funny dream--I was talking to an old Gaelic speaker and she was telling me how Gaelic was "a' mhàthair de gach uile cànan anns an t-saoghal" (the mother of every other language in the world). Now, if you know Scottish Gaels, you know such a claim isn't beyond them :lol: I remember how my AGA Gaelic teacher used to tell us about how the old speakers would tell stories of how "when God first created the world, all the animals spoke Gaelic" and such.

But since I remembered that dream when I woke up, it motivated me to write an entry in my Gaelic journal as soon as I got out of bed, although that entry was mostly me complaining about the cold weather here (it was 27°F/-3°C when I got this morning, which is nothing compared to where some of you live, but for the Southwest US, that's annoyingly cold). I hope to write at least 2 journal entries in both Gaelic and French a week. With the notebooks I got, for their size, I can write about 200 words per page, so that's how long my entries are (the length of the Gaelic entry I posted earlier). I think that's a reasonable goal for my level in these languages.

Q1 2019 Grammar-palooza

Intermediate Welsh : 3 / 40

• Chapters 1-3: Inflected future: regular verbs, Inflected future: irregular verbs, Galla i'/medra i'

Intermediate Irish : 2 / 25

• Chapters 1-2: Relative clauses I, Information question
French

I made an error the other night. The book with the annoying verbes de volonté exercise was L'expression française, not L'exercisier. L'espression is more C1-C2 while L'exercisier is B1-B2. I meant to use the latter, but in my fatigued mood the other evening, I grabbed the wrong book. As you can see, they can be easily confused for one another, as for the editions I have of these, each have equally hideous covers.

Anyhow, I went back to L'exercisier and am working on the unit Passé composé et accord du participe passé, although I think today I'll switch over and do some work in PMP: French Sentence Builder.

Reading Short Stories Challenge

I am going to using Der Schädel von Damien Hirst/An Claigeann aig Damien Hirst, a collection of 7 contemporary short stories that were written in parallel Gaelic-German for both my Gaelic and German short stories. I'll be starting with the first Gaelic story this week. For Welsh I ordered a copy of Cyfres Amdani: Cawl a Straeon Eraill. For French, Irish and Indonesian, I'm still working on that. French won't be a problem--if I'm willing to settle for older stories, there's a bonanza out there of free stuff online. it's just as far as older French lit goes, if it's not poetry or plays, I'm usually not much of a fan. But newer in-print books can get seriously expensive, so we'll see. Irish and Indonesian are still both TBA.

Shadow-walking

So, my neighbors already think of me as that weird white lady on the corner with the pretty guard dog (she's a blue mottled ACD with a little Husky in her--she knows she's pretty :D ) who you go to if there's a stray dog or cat running around, but I made a resolution to get back to daily walking while listening/shadow audio of my TLs, so now they're really going to think I'm strange. I started before New Year's, but then I caught a cold, that turned into a sinus infection, that threatened to become bronchitis, and so I stopped for a few days. I'm feeling pretty good today so I hope to get back to walking this afternoon. I have three walking playlist so far: Indonesian using 50languages files, Welsh using Say Something in Welsh files and Gaelic using MP3 converted from Speaking Our Language videos. I hope to get together shadow-walking playlists for French and German eventually as well. I should do one fore Spanish as well, but beyond working in my Spanish grammar book, I'm not terribly motivated to work on my Spanish right now.

No, seriously, I don't plan to update this every day...but since I'm here:

The 2019 365 Day Language Challenge : 3 / 365

• Day 3 -- Gaelic: wrote a journal entry, checked/corrected my spelling

Edit:

Dhìochùimhnich mi gun robh mi ag iarraidh iomradh a thoir air rudeigin a leugh mi air Dàna an-dè: 's e 2019 a th’ ann am Bliadhna Eadar-nàiseanta nan Cànan Tùsanach!)

(I forgot that i had wanted to mention something that I had read on Dàna yesterday: 2019 is the International Year of Indigenous Languages!)

4 x

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt

Postby Cèid Donn » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:42 pm

Au fait, la phrase "laisser tomber" me rappelle toujours cette chanson :

Ce m'a fait penser à un point important : si je laisse tomber français, je ne peux pas utiliser mes études de langue comme une raison pour ècouter le yéyé. :D

Non, je n'ai pas l'intention de mettre à jour ce blog chaque jour, mais comme je suis ici :

The 2019 365 Day Language Challenge : 4 / 365

• Day 4 -- French: Wrote a journal entry, listened to France Gall 8-)
Last edited by Cèid Donn on Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt

Postby Cèid Donn » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:02 am

I'm feeling pretty drained this evening--I don't think I'm 100% recovered from that cold I caught right after Christmas. So I'm going to drink tea and write a post, and afterwards I'll see if it's a "Stay Up Late and Study" kind of Saturday night or a "Crawl into Bed and Watch Netflix" kind of Saturday night. Leaning hard toward the latter, to be honest. To my credit, over the past 6 months or so, I've gotten into the habit of doing 1-3 hours of studying in the morning. This is one reason I signed up for the 365 Day challenge, to motivate me to keep up this habit. But it's nice because if I'm worn out by the end of the day, I don't have as much pressure to make myself study in the evening if I'm not up to it.

Anyhow, on Gaelic twitter today...

Meanwhile, someone over Irish twitter was in a cranky mood and threaten to write "Peig - the musical" only to be told someone already has. :lol: See what fun you people not studying Celtic languages are missing?

Gaelic and French SC

I'm going back to this. I'll update my progress once I have enough progress to merit an update. One thing though is I am making an attempt to watch more Netflix content that is originally in French for my French film SC. I did some research and learned Les Grandes Grandes Vacances had not long ago been on Netflix but it appears no longer. Disappointing. The DVD on Amazon is $55, so outside my current budget. So I started with Les Revenants (the original French series) instead.

I also decided I'm not going to double up on crediting myself with what I complete for my challenges, as in, if I read something for the Short Story challenge, I won't count that toward my SC challenge, and so on. I don't think anyone here would might a big deal if I did, and I have no opinion either way if someone else chooses to do so, but for my own goals and intentions, I want to keep those separate. With what I can get done in a regular week, I think it would be dumb if I didn't use these challenges to motivate me to use my time more productively. This goes for the 365 Day challenge too--whatever I count for that challenge for that day, I won't count toward either the SS or SC challenges.

Short Story challenge

• Week 1: Gaelic -- "Top Twenties" by Michael Klevenhaus, from An Claigeann aig Damien Hirst, Leabhar 1

Klevenhaus, by the way, founded Deutschen Zentrums für Gälische Sprache und Kultur in Bonn, which supports Gaelic learning in Germany, and this book of parallel Gaelic-German short stories was his project (the rest of the An Claigeann Aig Damien Hirst series was published in only Gaelic)

I added Japanese to my list of languages for this challenge, although my reading ability in Japanese is still pretty basic. I want to at least try to read some simple stories in Japanese.

The 2019 365 Day Language Challenge : 5 / 365

• Day 5 -- Indonesian: 60+ minutes--reviewed chapters 4-6 in TY Indonesian and listened to/shadowed the dialogues
4 x

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt

Postby Cèid Donn » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:51 am

Here's one of my favorite songs in French, just because:

It's been a rainy day here, and that means migraines for me. I'm a Pacific Coast baby, born just a few miles from the ocean, and I just do not care for the weather patterns here in West Texas/Southern New Mexico, At this altitude (~3700' above sea level), even the slightest barometer change makes me miserable. Thank the cosmos for OTC NSAIDs and caffeine, my salvation from migraine hell.

I spent some portion of this weekend playing video games in French. I was getting bored with Stardew Valley (which I had first played in Spanish and then switched to German), and so I put it aside while we SV fans eagerly await the upcoming French translation of the game. On Friday and Saturday, I was playing an indie game called Finders, which is a hodge-podge time-management type game with various mini-games, and it was nice because you had to really read the text to understand what you needed to do to progress. Unfortunately, after getting over 3/4th through the game, my save file appears to have been corrupted and I can't open it. So I started different indie game today, Hero of the Kingdom, which is a moderately text heavy point-and-click adventure game that I played through a few years ago in English. I'm finding the French translation really enjoyable and i'm having fun with reading it aloud to also practice pronunciation. This game has been popular enough that the devs made two sequels--I have yet to play through the second sequel, so maybe I will just play through all three of the games in this series in French while I wait for SV's update.

Short Story Challenge

I'll be reading "Les révoltés de la Bounty" by Jules Verne this week. Oddly it's not available on Gutenberg, so I will use this online version on the Zvi Har’El’s Jules Verne Collection website. Also, someone uploaded a (probably not entirely legal) video of an audio book reading of it, which is a nice accompaniment. I listened to about half the story earlier today while reading along with the text.

(If anyone else is interested in reading this but may need some help with the French text, there is an English version on Wikisource Open Library. I didn't read through the whole story there, only the first few paragraphs, but it seems like good translation.)

I was reading the French Wiki page about this story, and it seems Verne wasn't the primary author of this. Rather he bought the rights to it from a friend, proofread it, added a couple embellishments and published it under his name.

Q1 2019 Grammar-palooza

Intermediate Welsh : 4 / 40

• Chapters 4: Beth and erioed

I had intended to do more but I got distracted when I went to see if Easy Languages had made a second Welsh video yet, and indeed they have--everyone, go and upvote it so they will make more Welsh videos. :D

Breton

Instead of Irish, I went and let myself get distracted by Breton. A couple weeks ago I found this site of old grammar articles that had been published in the Breton magazine Ya ! (and previously in the book Yezhadur !) and now are archived online for free. It's a treasure trove of answers to the kinds of questions Breton learners have, so this made me quite happy. Today I read through A1: Eo pe ez eus ? and A2: A-benn : disoc’h ha neket pal.

French

I really like French Sentence Builder, in part because of its layout is less cramped than the PUG books and the font is not as small, and that makes it so much easier to use with my aging eyesight, and I might stick with that for a while. I worked on Unit 3: Precise Questions and started Unit 5: Imperative Clauses today.

Shadow-walking

I didn't walk today. The weather is too crappy. I'm managing to get out and walk every other day, but I want to make it daily, eventually. Hopefully, as the days get longer, I'll have more hours that I can go walk, because I hate walking in my neighborhood when it's dark. The streets are not well-lit here and I worry that drivers can't see me and my dog. Several years ago my mom was out walking her dog and got hit by a car and it tore up her knee, so I'm perhaps a tab bit anxious about that sort of thing happening to me. Tomorrow I've got a chunk of free time earlier in the day so I'm planning to walk then. So far I've been just listening to my Gaelic playlist on my walks so I need to start mixing them up more.

My Big Fat German Review

Haven't been doing a lot with German lately, but I did watch this Easy German video after watching the Easy Welsh video, which I enjoyed a lot because her German is quite easy for me to follow and she covers some interesting topics. I even learned a nice German word today: die Lebensmittelunverträglichkeit (food intolerances).

The 2019 365 Day Language Challenge : 6 / 365

• Day 6 --Breton: read through 2 articles on Breton grammar in Breton and wrote down example sentences and notes in my Breton notebook
6 x

Return to “Language logs”