Russian Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Ogrim
Brown Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N) English (C2), French (C2), Spanish (C2), German (B2), Romansh (B2), Italian (B2), Catalan (B2), Russian (B1), Latin (B2), Dutch (B1), Croatian (A2), Arabic (on hold), Ancient Greek (learning), Romanian (on hold)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?t=873

Re: Russian Study Group

Postby Ogrim » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:59 am

MamaPata wrote:On a very different note, does anyone have any podcast recommendations in Russian?

I don't listen to podcasts very much, but I know that Russian newspapers like Комсомольская правда, Коммерсантъ and Ведомости all make podcasts. I checked out Радио Комсомольская правда in the podcast app on my iPhone and they have quite a number of them, covering domestic and international politics, history, music, pet animals etc. So maybe you will find something you like there?
1 x
Ich grolle nicht

Ioann
Languages: Eng, rus

Postby Ioann » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:10 am

Hi everyone. I know how difficult it's to learn Russian. if someone has questions or an aspiration to communicate with someone who knows the Russian language almost perfectly, you can write me.
PS: ofc for free
0 x

2yc
Languages: German (N)
English (C1)
Dutch (B2)

Studying Russian

Postby 2yc » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:24 pm

MamaPata wrote:How is everyone's Russian study going? I have *gasps* actually done some stuff! Not much obviously, but I had an italki lesson and my tutor was pretty pleased that I hadn't forgotten everything. I've also added a book I got from LitRes to LWT so v v slowly making my way through that. (I'm currently on page 1)

Amusingly, I was in Paris recently and somehow managed to end up in a hotel where all the staff spoke Russian. So I managed to speak a bit of Russian. (In typical fashion, they didn't bat an eyelid or acknowledge that we were speaking Russian, despite having seen my passport and spoken to me in French)

On a very different note, does anyone have any podcast recommendations in Russian?

Так себе :/

But to battle my laziness I signed up at stickk.com, a website that lets you put up stakes for a set goal. If you don't prove that you are following through with pictures or the like you get punished.

For example I set it so that if I don't follow through I donate money to the american republican party (which I despise).

You can use their automated system with credit card, but I rather appointed a friend to be referee and escrow the money. It's still managed by the site though (apart from the money).

https://www.stickk.com/commitment/details/665512

That is my committment. 1.5 hours of study every day on average. I have to take pictures of the new vocab and a summary of current reading material.

You can join yourself and we can support and/or referee each other.
1 x

EthanH
White Belt
Languages: Languages: English (N), Spanish (B2), German (Beginner[current]), Russian (Postponed till I'm B1-B2 in German)

Postby EthanH » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:16 am

Hey Everyone!

New to this whole language learning thing, besides my Spanish, so I thought I'd join here. :)
I began learning the Cyrillic Alphabet today, that's a plus! I was wondering if any of you watched the youtuber RealRussianClub and if I should watch her Beginner video series? For my learning structure I was thinking of following the Colloquial Russian complete course for beginners book, that someone graciously sent me a PDF for, while combining this with youtube for in depth explanations. Someone also offered me a copy of Assimil, that I will utilize. I will figure out my audio and listening once I become more advanced. I thought I would study 20-30 minutes on weekdays and 1-2 hours on weekends. If any of you have any more advice or think I should change something in my schedule feel free to comment on it, i won't take offense!

Thanks,
Ethan
2 x
“The English language was carefully, carefully cobbled together by three blind dudes and a German dictionary,” - Dave Kellett

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:40 pm

EthanH wrote:Hey Everyone!

I will figure out my audio and listening once I become more advanced. I thought I would study 20-30 minutes on weekdays and 1-2 hours on weekends. If any of you have any more advice or think I should change something in my schedule feel free to comment on it, i won't take offense!

Thanks,
Ethan

Don't wait with listening and pronunciation practice or you may end up being able to read adult books and wondering why you cannot understand simple cartoons. Good luck.
3 x

victorhart
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Brazilian Portuguese (N), Spanish (advanced fluency), French (intermediate fluency), Mandarin (beginner)

Postby victorhart » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:47 pm

I'm traveling to Moscow in about a week for work and I decided to learn a bit of Russian for fun and as part of my ongoing experimentation with language learning -- and now with technology for acquisition.

I had a programmer make me a simple Spaced Repetition System app with the 1,000 most frequently used words and 100 common expressions in Russian and I started memorizing last night. I expect to really learn 10 to 20% of this and use it to break the ice with Russian colleagues.

I've written an explanation of why I'm doing this and some plans related to language acquisition methods and technology.
4 x
linguanaturalis.com

Kess
White Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (pre- intermediate)

Postby Kess » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:41 am

Hi everybody! I will be here that to learn English. Do you mind?
1 x

emer1ca
White Belt
Languages: French (N), English (C1), Italian (C1), Russian (A1)

Postby emer1ca » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:11 am

Hello there!

A year has already passed since my last post and an awful lot of water has run under the bridge.

A brief description of my profile :

1. Took up Russian at the outset of the year with the ASSIMIL Method (B2)
2. Ended up the book in November
3. Given I was boning up for my exam the method is by and large the only method Ive used. I tried LingQ for a month though, I picked out Artem's content from Russian Progress.
4. To cap it off, 90% ASSIMIL and 10% LingQ.
5. I know 100 lessons by heart, whether it's written or spoken.
6. I took up the active stage on Monday of this very week. Technically I should have started that 2nd stage halfway, namely when you reach the plateau 50. But I didnt feel like it so I decided to get through all the lessons first.
7. All the lessons along with the audio have been added to Anki.
8. Ive been learning an average of 5 cards a day , had to lower that number when I got tied up during the summer.
9. A day has not past during the year without studying Russian. I studied for at least half an hour a day every single day.

What's my take after a year ?

Well, I made headway that's for sure but I definitely not acquired a B2 level like the book advertise it. This has to been taken with a pinch of salt though given I did not finish the 2nd stage yet (active stage). I've been doing 5 lessons a day for the past 3 days, provided I can keep on like that it should not take too long before I get through all the lessons (20 days to be exact but I reckon 2 months would do..I rather give me some leeway here you never know what could happen).
So like I said I sharpened my reading and listening skills. However all the knowledge I acquired has not been put into practice, I just absorbed like a sponge the entire book for the whole year. So far among the first 15 lessons the mistakes are few and far between, Im really looking forward to hit 50th lessons and start translating something more demanding..

I bought the C1 Method last week (still from ASSIMIL), havent opened the book yet. I also have the audio. I'd like to finish the 2nd stage of the first book before tackling the 2nd book. On top of that, Ive been using LWT for a month along with Frank Ilyad's stories, I went over the first 30 lessons and so far so good, the same words keep popping so you gradually absorbing the vocabulary without even noticing it. I remember at the beginning of the year when it would take me literally 45 mins to go over a single story, didn't take me long to give up back then. I takes me roughly 10 mins now and the cool thing with LWT is when you about to tackle a new story the counter is telling you how many words are unknown and more often that not it fluctuates around 40 which is way more than what a linguist as Krashen would recommend but still I dont feel like it hinders the process. Lo and behold I decided to keep on reading, not to mention it's rather compelling..

I will bring you up to date when the 2nd stage will be done. I might swing by to check your comments or questions should you have some.

cheers!
7 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:27 pm

Wow, it's been a shockingly long time, sorry everyone. How is everyone doing? Pushing onwards for the last few weeks of the year.

Personally, I haven't really been doing much Russian. However, I did give a talk on Russian film, so I was going back through and watching stuff that I first watched probably this time last year. It's kind of hilarious seeing the difference, so that's quite motivating. I hadn't really thought that I had improved, but maybe it's not as stagnant as I thought!
5 x
Corrections appreciated.

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:12 am

How did everyone fare in 2018? Does anyone have Russian goals for 2019?

Personally, I am very happy with my Russian studies in 2018. I graduated from my Russian degree with a very good result, and though my Russian studies have slipped since then, it remains a part of my life and I used it for a talk I gave about Russian culture. I hope that 2019 features more Russian and that I catch up a bit with my Super Challenge for Russian, but ultimately, I am happy with where I am.
10 x
Corrections appreciated.

Return to “Study Groups”