Monox D. I-Fly's Japanese and Arabic Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Monox D. I-Fly
Blue Belt

Re: Monox D. I-Fly's Japanese and Arabic Log

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:06 pm

SGP wrote:
Monox D. I-Fly wrote:No, although when I was a child I did learn those in my Religion School. I still remember that the imperative form of "sit" is "ijlis".

Yes it is "ijlis". Just as the present tense is "yajlisu" (3rd person male singular).
Do they have something in common?

Spoiler (backward speech): lewov i eht erahs yeht.

I thought the answer was the consonants. Wait, if the indication is the vowel, are the Arabic word of "Do!" is "If'al" since its present tense is "yaf'alu"?

SGP wrote:
Speaking of irregulars, I hate the non-3 syllables verbs since their vowels often take me off-guard.

Any example coming to your mind?
Because I think of Arabic verbs more in terms of how many letters they have (without Harakat/Tashkil), rather than syllables.

Yantadhiru (wait) or Yasytaro (I forgot this one means "sell" or "buy").

SGP wrote:The following may be not too relevant for comics and manga, but it is important for other reading materials. And since you are learning Arabic anyway...

By the way, do you know where can I download Arabic school math books from Grade 1 to 12? Or simple Arabic books about animals are also welcome.

SGP wrote:The "-an" ending surely is used for many time adverbs. As well as verb objects.

Why exactly? It's not because of an equation like "-an = time" or "-an = verb object" ;).
But because "-an" is used for one of the three noun cases. This particular one is called an-nasb النصب.

In Arabic, there are three ways of working with nouns. Or three cases.
The usual endings are "-un/-u", "-an/-a", and "-in/-i".
With the "al-" article, the final "-n" will be removed.
And without the article or anything else causing its removal, it will stay there.

Each of these three cases serves one or more purpose/s.

I am not sure how familiar you already are with this concept. The basically same idea exists, too, in languages like German, Polish, Russian, and many others.

But we also can translate it (this concept/idea) to Bahasa Indonesia.

Not telling you anything new when talking about its suffixes. Those very useful Building Blocks with which bigger words are constructed.

Up to now, I only was able to learn about some basics of this beautiful language. But still, I think the following could be a bit useful.

In very simply terms, the Arabic words naharan نهارا and laylan ليلا consist of these two building blocks:
1.) day / night
2.) situation of [this is one of the meanings of the "-an" building block]

So they mean something close to "[at] the situation of the day" and "[at] the situation of the night".

And as for bin-nahari بالنهار and bil-layli بالليل , these are the building blocks:
1.) with
3.) the article (the alif and lam letters)
3.) day / night (again)
4.) the case ending "-i" which fits to the "with" building block ("bi")

So we could translate them as "with the day" and "with the night".

These were two examples about these two noun cases ("-an/-a" and "-in/-i").

So these Noun Case Building Blocks do not contain any information about whether we speak about a time, a place, or something else. That piece of information is found in another Building Block instead ("nahar", "layl").

And just like many other languages, there are words or building blocks that serve more than one purpose. For example, the "-an/-a" ending isn't only used for "situation of", as in the above example.

It also is used for some more meanings. Like a verb's object. "Ya'kulu khubzan" يأكل خبزا means "he eats bread".

These are its building blocks:
1.) he eats
2.) bread
3.) "-an" noun case ending, expressing that "khubz" is an object. This fits to the verb "ya'kulu".

Now what do "situation of" and "a verb's object" have in common? Something grammar related ;). This may be one of the topics that are understand easier by simply getting used to it as the time goes on.

So to sum up, both the "-an/-a" and "-in/-i" endings can mean something time-related, when they are combined with a Time Noun.

But that doesn't mean that they are limited to it. They can serve other purposes as well.

In short, the "al-" cancels the "-n"? As a math person, this way is easier to understand.

And now for my progress:
Read 6 anime lyrics (counts as 2)
Read the sixth chapter of Ansatsu Kyoushitsu in Arabic (19 pages, counts as 3)
Read the twentieth (how do I spell that again?) of Pokemon Special in Arabic (14 pages, counts as 2)
0 x
Read 5,000 pages of Arabic books: 5 / 5000
Watch 9,000 minutes of Arabic videos: 19 / 9000

Read 5,000 pages of Japanese books: 1 / 5000
Watch 9,000 minutes of Japanese videos: 297 / 9000

Maiwenn
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) & French
focusing on: MSA & Moroccan Arabic
backburner: German
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7321

Postby Maiwenn » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:37 pm

By the way, do you know where can I download Arabic school math books from Grade 1 to 12? Or simple Arabic books about animals are also welcome.

Someone asked a similar question on the learn_Arabic subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/learn_arabic/c ... in_arabic/ and this youtube channel was provided as a resource: https://www.youtube.com/user/kkudl.

The Swedish site matteboken.se has Arabic content, for example here's the section on the pythagorean theorem: https://arabiska.matteboken.se/lektione ... goras-sats

As for actually downloading books, that sounds like something that should stay off the site for legal reasons.
0 x
SC reading: 3819 / 10000 AR
SC reading: 3334 / 5000 FR
SC reading: 65 / 2500 DE :?

Corrections are always welcome. :)

SGP
Blue Belt
Languages: DE (native), EN (C2), ES (B2), FR (B2); some more at various levels
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 30#p120230

Postby SGP » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:25 pm

Monox D. I-Fly wrote:
SGP wrote:
Monox D. I-Fly wrote:No, although when I was a child I did learn those in my Religion School. I still remember that the imperative form of "sit" is "ijlis".

Yes it is "ijlis". Just as the present tense is "yajlisu" (3rd person male singular).
Do they have something in common?

Spoiler (backward speech): lewov i eht erahs yeht.

I thought the answer was the consonants.

Yes, the Three Root Consonants are the same too, no doubt. Unless the verb has a "specialty", all of them are retained in the imperative.

Wait, if the indication is the vowel, are the Arabic word of "Do!" is "If'al" since its present tense is "yaf'alu"?

Exactly.
"yaf'alu" -> "if'al". (i-a in the imperative)
"yaktubu" -> "uktub" (u-u)
"yajlisu" -> "ijlis" (i-i)

This is about verbs of these three types. Others are even easier, because there is a single pattern only rather than three. "yukallimu" -> "kallim". "yatakallamu" -> "takallam".

يكلّم، كلّمْ، يتكلّم، تكلّمْ

SGP wrote:
Speaking of irregulars, I hate the non-3 syllables verbs since their vowels often take me off-guard.
Any example coming to your mind? [...]

Yantadhiru (wait) or Yasytaro (I forgot this one means "sell" or "buy").

Quite close. And yashtari (with a long i) is mainly or exclusively used for selling.

ينتظر، يشتري

Those verbs have their pattern, too. It is a single one for each category. And they aren't too many either.

And those with a "specialty" (like yashtari ending with a long i) also fit into one of these categories. Its just that there will be a slight change. But any other verb of the same category which also would end in a long -i would be, again, conjugated the very same way.

That applies if it doesn't have a second "specialty". If it really had two, one would need to take a closer look. That said, these are very rare, or non-existent even.

So there is a not-too-big number of General Verb Patterns.
And within these categories, there is a number of Verb Sub Patterns, too. Like the one of "yashtari". But they could be learned by immersion and exposure, without memorizing any verb tables even.

Well, I don't know.

In short, the "al-" cancels the "-n"? As a math person, this way is easier to understand.

Yes, if there is "al-", then the "-n" [of "-un/-in/-an"] will be automatically removed.
And if there is no "al-", then it depends.

Any math in Indonesian as well?
1 x
Previously known as SGP. But my mental username now is langmon.

Log

Monox D. I-Fly
Blue Belt

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:26 pm

Maiwenn wrote:As for actually downloading books, that sounds like something that should stay off the site for legal reasons.

But the mods didn't say anything about it, or am I the one who misses it? Others also share their illegal download links quite often when I asked.

SGP wrote:Any math in Indonesian as well?

Well, not just math, but almost any subjects taught in regular Indonesian schools can be found here:
http://bsd.pendidikan.id/data/ktsp_2006.php
http://bsd.pendidikan.id/data/2013/
Tell me if you have difficulty in navigating the site.

Awww... Syukron jaziilaan... Do you have links to drawing tutorial books in Arabic as well?

And now for my progress:
Read the Arabic lesson book for grade 1 my coworker sent me (5 pages, counts as 1).
Also, I just knew that in http://www.manga.ae there is a feature to display a whole chapter in a single webpage, so I used that to read Pokemon Special chapter 21-24 in 1 day (the total of pages are 16, 21, 14, and 22, respectively, count as 3, 4, 2, and 4).
0 x

SGP
Blue Belt
Languages: DE (native), EN (C2), ES (B2), FR (B2); some more at various levels
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 30#p120230

Postby SGP » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:29 pm

Monox D. I-Fly wrote:
SGP wrote:Any math in Indonesian as well?

Well, not just math, but almost any subjects taught in regular Indonesian schools can be found here:
http://bsd.pendidikan.id/data/ktsp_2006.php
http://bsd.pendidikan.id/data/2013/
Tell me if you have difficulty in navigating the site.

If I really would advance in Indonesian any day, I could take a look at this web site.
But maybe I was asking about something different.

Monox D. I-Fly wrote:In short, the "al-" cancels the "-n"? As a math person, this way is easier to understand.

What I meant by my (follow-up) question was: is there any math inside the Indonesian language as well?
0 x
Previously known as SGP. But my mental username now is langmon.

Log

Monox D. I-Fly
Blue Belt

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:35 pm

SGP wrote:
Monox D. I-Fly wrote:In short, the "al-" cancels the "-n"? As a math person, this way is easier to understand.

What I meant by my (follow-up) question was: is there any math inside the Indonesian language as well?

Almost none. In math sense, it's almost... purely arithmetic while other languages involve algebra.
1 x

Monox D. I-Fly
Blue Belt

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:48 pm

Read the seventh chapter of Ansatsu Kyoushitsu in Arabic (19 pages, counts as 3)
Read 3 Arabic song lyrics (counts as 1)
Read 3 anime lyrics (counts as 1)
Watched the newest episode of Yu-Gi-Oh! Vrains (24 minutes)
Read the second chapter of 11eyes (34 pages, counts as 6)
Read the thirty second chapter of B't-X (44 pages, counts as 8) and Sailor Moon (46 pages, counts as 9)
0 x

Monox D. I-Fly
Blue Belt

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:51 pm

Read 3 Arabic song lyrics (counts as 1) and 3 anime lyrics (also counts as 1) as well as the twenty fifth chapter of Pokemon Special in Arabic (15 pages, counts as 3).
1 x

Monox D. I-Fly
Blue Belt

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:27 pm

Read the eighth chapter of Akame ga Kill! and Ansatsu Kyoushitsu (40 and 19 pages respectively, counts as 8 and 3), all in Arabic as well as 3 Arabic song lyrics (counts as 1).
1 x

Monox D. I-Fly
Blue Belt

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:16 pm

Read the Arabic lesson book for grade 1 my coworker sent me (20 pages, counts as 4), 3 anime lyrics (counts as 1), the twenty sixth chapter of Pokemon Special in Arabic (30 pages, counts as 6), 3 Arabic song lyrics (counts as 1), and watched the newest episode of Yu-Gi-Oh! Vrains (24 minutes).
0 x

Return to “Language logs”