Monox D. I-Fly's Japanese and Arabic Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Monox D. I-Fly
Blue Belt

Monox D. I-Fly's Japanese and Arabic Log

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:39 pm

Make a log so that I can join the Rare Language Team. In that team I want to focus on Arabic because I have learnt about that when I was an elementary students. However, only a very few things I can remember:
1. The scripts. I can still read them but still got confused about distinguishing when to stop, when to continue, etc.
2. Subject Pronouns. It was sung in the religious school I was studying in: Huwa Humaa Hum. Hiya Humaa Hunna. Anta Antumaa Antum. Anti Antumaa Antunna. Anaa Nahnu.
3. Basic Verbs according Subject Pronouns. It was also sung in the religious school I was studying in: Fa'ala Fa'alaa Fa'aluu. Fa'alat Fa'alataa Fa'alna. Fa'alta Fa'altumaa Fa'altum. Fa'alti Fa'altumaa Fa'altunna. Fa'altu Fa'alnaa.
4. Several basic nouns and verbs.
5. Name of the days.
6. Name of numbers (up to seven, because name of the days are taken after them).
7. Some question words (Man, Maa, Kaifa).
8. Some conjunctions (Wa, Min, Bi).

Targets:
1. To be able to understand some full sentence.
2. To understand the pattern of diversed vowels from the same three consonants and what they mean.
3. To know how to read Arabic without vowels (I was taught that, but forget completely).
4. To know how to determine what vowel must be used in a word.

My progress with Japanese will also be added here.
I have been learning Japanese autodidactly since I was a 4th grader (about 15 years ago) and can only read Katakana, about half of Hiragana, very few Kanji, and understand several hundreds (?) meaning of words. Still don't know how to translate a full sentence without guessing first.
I was interested in Japanese because I love watching Digimon shows. Almost everytime a new Digimon appears, there are some data written in Japan regarding its names, type, and attacks. I wrote down all the names, memorized them, and tried to decipher what each character means. All of the names are written in Katakana, that's why I can read and write all Katakana before even learning Hiragana.
2 x
Read 5,000 pages of Arabic books: 5 / 5000
Watch 9,000 minutes of Arabic videos: 19 / 9000

Read 5,000 pages of Japanese books: 1 / 5000
Watch 9,000 minutes of Japanese videos: 297 / 9000

Adam
White Belt
Languages: English (N)
Mandarin Chinese (have been trying to learn for a long time)
French (a bit)
Japanese (a little bit)
Other languages - learning the scripts of Arabic, Hebrew, Tamil, Burmese, Korean, Hindi; have dabbled in Spanish, Russian, and Ancient Greek.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1449

Re: Monox D. I-Fly's Japanese and Arabic Log

Postby Adam » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:09 am

Best of luck Monox!

I've been trying to get my head around Arabic script for a while - it isn't easy.

I've memorised the alphabet of isolated letter forms, and know in theory the joined-up forms of some of the letters, but actually working out what letters are in a word that I see printed (where I don't know what that word is) is still very very difficult.

A tip for you to learn the Japanese kana - try to memorise the table of letters by writing them out over and over again, on scrap paper, in the format as they appear in the text-books. Do it in bits - the vowel row, then the k row, then the s row, etc.

Learn what letter comes before and after each letter, also what is above and below in the table.

Test youself each day whether you can write out all that you have learned up till then. When you get it all correct, then wait two days, and test yourself again. Basic spaced repetition principle.

When you have learned to write them, the reading recognition will be pretty much automatic.
0 x
(The user formerly known as Adamdm or AdamDM2 on HTLAL)

Monox D. I-Fly
Blue Belt

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:50 pm

Thanks, Adam. I learnt both Arabic and Japanese scripts ever since I was at Elementary School. Just about 3 to 4 years learning Arabic scripts, I can read them automatically just like when I am reading Latin alphabet. Japanese, however, isn't that easy. Reading hiragana, I still mix up wa with re, ru with ro, ke with ha, a with o, etc.
0 x

Monox D. I-Fly
Blue Belt

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:39 pm

My mother gave me a task to write the Latin script of Arabic text in her dua book. Because there it has Indonesian translation, I took this chance to try to learn new vocabs. Some new vocabs I got:
Syarri = Evil
Kasala = Laziness (I remember this one because "kasala" sounds similar to "kesel", which in Javanese means "tired". Being tired makes us lazy, doesn't it?)
Waswas = Whisper (Both start with W so it's easy to remember)
0 x

Monox D. I-Fly
Blue Belt

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:08 pm

Once a month, in my office we get an Islamic magazine as a compensation for 15,000 IDR monthly charity. In the most middle part of the magazine there's an Arabic sect and I always take notes of them. Here are some of them as well as how I remember:

Ka-sun = Trophy
"Ka-sun" sounds similar to "Katsu" (Japanese for "Win"). Trophy is given to the winner.

Khidzaa'un = Soccer shoes
"Khidzaa'" sounds similar to "Idak" (Javanese for "Step on"). Imagine being stepped on by a pair of soccer shoes.

Shofaarotun = Whistle
Shofaarotun -> Shofaaroh -> Shvaro -> Suworo (Javanese for "Sound"). Whistles produce sound.

Right now I am taking a freelance job given by my co-worker to edit a students' worksheet book of Koran and Hadith subject. Of course there are some Arabic lessons inside. Hope that they will increase my vocabularies as well as improving my grammar knowledge.
0 x

Monox D. I-Fly
Blue Belt

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:00 pm

There wasn't much improvement in my part, only a few new vocabs from my freelance job. Now I am scheduling my language learning into 5 languages based on Javanese days. My schedule is as follow.

Legi: Indonesian (My own native language. As a book editor, I realize that there are still much to learn)
Pahing: Javanese (My own regional language so that I won't forget about it)
Pon: English (My grammar as well as my diction still have many mistakes)
Wage: Arabic (I am a Moslem and have been learning this language ever since I was a kid)
Kliwon: Japanese (I like anime and have been learning this language ever since I was a kid)
0 x

Monox D. I-Fly
Blue Belt

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:12 pm

Arabic note:
I read that in Arabic language, sun is feminine and moon is masculine, the opposite of other languages I knew. Now I am imagining a female version of Apollo and a male version of Diana.

Japanese note:
Learned more about nakeyoshi and ikeyoshi. The girl I talked about in HTLAL told me that the translation of "You are nice and beautiful girl" is "Anata wa yasashikute kirei na onna da". That means, "You are beautiful and nice girl" is "Anata wa kirei de yasashii onna da".
0 x

Monox D. I-Fly
Blue Belt

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:22 pm

I tried to say hello to my former crush, then this happened:

Me: "Konbanwa, boku no kirei de yasashii imouto..."
Her: "その読み方、もうやめてよ。"
Me: "gomen ne... just say hello... btw was my japanese just now correct or not?"
Her: "綺麗でじゃなくて、綺麗な だ
リカだけいいよ
普通だけよ、普通!"
Me: "am I wrong if I compliment you?"
Her: "don't you dare to call me like that again I warn you
can you just call me casually
Me: "yeah... yeah... califa...
I'm so sorry about that just now"
Her: "what did I ask for yet how did you respond....
....oh well
as long as you're not exaggreating like just now"
Me: "I know... you want to be just called "rika" don't you? well, however the first time I knew you you're using that ID... sorry, I don't know that you don't like to be called like that..."
0 x

Monox D. I-Fly
Blue Belt

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:44 pm

Sorry for not updating my log in a long time. I made very little progress, like the Arabic verb for second person male subject uses the prefix ta- instead of ya-. (Example: yadzhabu = he goes; tadzhabu = you go).
0 x

Monox D. I-Fly
Blue Belt

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:40 pm

Increase a bit of my Arabic vocabulary from Islamic magazines I got which had Arabic language section. They are as follow:

Thoo-iroh = Plane
I remember it by connecting to Japanese. The first syllable is "tho", which is similar to "to" in the Japanese word "tobi" which means "to fly".

Fann = Art
Because art is fun.

Khaasuub = Computer
The basic word of "khaasuub" is "khasaba", which means "compute", the basic word of "computer".

Mukhaasib = Cashier
Cashier is also to compute money and price.

Matjar = Shop
The basic word of "matjar" is "tajaro". I don't know what it means, but there is an Indonesian slang word "tajir" means "wealthy" which seems to come from Arabic, so I assume that the word "tajaro" has something to do with money.

Ajzaa' = Parts
The basic word must contain the letter "j" and "z", similar to "juz" which the Qoran has 30.

Waroq = Leaf
I don't know how did I manage to remember this one.

Madiinah = City
There is a city in Arabic with the same name.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”