DeepL kicked me today

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

DeepL kicked me today

Postby Kraut » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:26 pm

! Aufgrund der hohen Zahl eingehender Anfragen von Ihrer IP-Adresse wurde der Zugang zum kostenlosen DeepL Übersetzer vorübergehend gesperrt. Bitte versuchen Sie es später noch einmal, abonnieren Sie DeepL Pro, oder senden Sie uns eine E-Mail unter Angabe Ihrer IP-Adresse an block@DeepL.com [IP: xxx.xxx.xxx.xx ]

I got this after the first text - a short review from Tripadvisor - that I pasted into their page today. This would mean that they give you only a certain volume for free.
Is DeepL Pro more than just unlimited volume?
0 x

Querneus
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: Spanish (N), English
Studying: Latin, French, Mandarin

Re: DeepL kicked me today

Postby Querneus » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:13 pm

They mention "unlimited use of the web translator" as one of the benefits of a Pro account, implying the free service is limited.

They have clear formal terms and conditions for Pro accounts, but the characteristics of free usage of the service are defined rather vaguely.

Using the Website
[...] DeepL GmbH is entitled to modify (e.g. reduce, restrict, or expand) its free online services at all times and at its own discretion. Such modifications shall not affect the validity of the following terms and conditions.

Source: https://www.deepl.com/en/pro-license.html
0 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:30 pm

There is a solution in case sb is barred.
https://de.pons.com/text-%C3%BCbersetzung
PONS also offers DeepL Translation and there seems to be no time limit.
However, they don't roll out the alternatives.
2 x

tommus
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Dutch (B2)

Postby tommus » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:39 pm

About three weeks ago, I got an alert on DeepL that I had exceeded my limit. It then refused to work. I was pretty sure that I had not used it too much. So I sent them an email at info@deepl.com saying I was only using it for language learning. Within a day, it was back, and I have used it quite a bit since then without any problems.
2 x
Dutch: 01 September -> 31 December 2020
Watch 1000 Dutch TV Series Videos : 40 / 1000

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:31 pm

Could someone provide a translation of the message in the first post?

Anyone know have a guess at what "too much" is? I like Deepl, but I only started using it a week or two ago so I have no sense of what the limits might be
0 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

neumanc
Orange Belt
Languages: Speaks: German (native), English, Dutch
Studies: French (advanced), Spanish (false beginner)
Mostly forgotten: Italian, Latin

Postby neumanc » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:17 am

Ani wrote:Could someone provide a translation of the message in the first post?

Anyone know have a guess at what "too much" is? I like Deepl, but I only started using it a week or two ago so I have no sense of what the limits might be

The message in the first post says:
! Due to the high number of incoming requests from your IP address, access to the free DeepL translator has been temporarily blocked. Please try again later, subscribe to DeepL Pro, or send us an email with your IP address to block@DeepL.com [IP: xxx.xxx.xxx.xx ]

I also have once been blocked by DeepL, and I also had the impression that I hadn't used it too much. But I have an explanation: It happened while writing and editing a longish text in my mother tongue while having it translated instantly. I have the impression that each time I typed in a new word a new translation process started and all the letters already typed and translated have been counted again and again. Since then, I've always typed my texts to be translated in a document beforehand and have it translated afterwards. Sometimes, I have documents with tenths of pages. Nonetheless, I've never been blocked again.
5 x

CarstenW
Languages: German, English

Postby CarstenW » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:16 pm

Why don't you just use the Tor browser? It's changing the IP address all the time. So there's no issue with IP blocking. 8-)
1 x

bedtime
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (beginner/intermediate), Latin (beginner)

Postby bedtime » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:25 pm

I've used DeepL several times to translate 2000 line documents. It will allow for this. Your problem of being banned is not how much but how often.

I know with Google Translate you need to wait at least 10 seconds between translations if you're going to use it consistently. I suspect this is the same with DeepL. So long as I keep the translations 10-20 seconds apart, I could translate as much as I want—I've translated several 2000 line documents in a row.

Remember, it is not how much but how often. It doesn't matter if you're translating 5000 characters per translation or just 5.

Also, Google and DeepL may allow you to get away with translating every 5 seconds or so, but only for a few dozen translations. Doing this is walking a very thin line and I don't recommend it.

I made a program that uses Google Translate to translate epub books. It grabs as close to 5000 characters as possible and throws it to Google every 12 seconds. These epubs are as small as 20 pages to as large as 450, so far. Never a problem. I've kept the program translating for 17+ hours at a time, and wasn't blocked.

But as soon as I go under the minimum of 10 seconds wait time between translations for about a few dozen translations, I'm banned.
7 x

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Postby cjareck » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:47 am

bedtime wrote:I made a program that uses Google Translate to translate epub books. It grabs as close to 5000 characters as possible and throws it to Google every 12 seconds.

Could you please provide some information about the technologies/programming languages used in the program and how it works? Creating something like that for reading pdfs could be extremely helpful for dealing with Hebrew sources. I have basic knowledge of PHP, c++, Java and JavaScript and used it many times to solve some small problems, so I hope it isn't beyond my range either ;)
0 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

bedtime
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (beginner/intermediate), Latin (beginner)

Postby bedtime » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:42 pm

cjareck wrote:
bedtime wrote:I made a program that uses Google Translate to translate epub books. It grabs as close to 5000 characters as possible and throws it to Google every 12 seconds.

Could you please provide some information about the technologies/programming languages used in the program and how it works? Creating something like that for reading pdfs could be extremely helpful for dealing with Hebrew sources. I have basic knowledge of PHP, c++, Java and JavaScript and used it many times to solve some small problems, so I hope it isn't beyond my range either ;)

The program is shell-based and runs on Linux: https://gitlab.com/bedtime_/srtssa

Everyone is more than welcome to use the code.
4 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”