zenmonkey's multilingual adventures of a traveller

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
User avatar
Kat
Orange Belt
Posts: 157
Joined: Sat May 19, 2018 9:33 am
Languages: German (N), English (advanced), Dutch (intermediate)
x 327

Re: zenmonkey's multilingual adventures of a traveller

Postby Kat » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:19 pm

zenmonkey wrote:
Lawyer&Mom wrote:Mord mit Aussicht is really charming and fun. Not the kind of thing I would typically watch in English, but still totally recommended.

Thanks! Love getting recommendation and "charming and fun" is right down my alley. I'll check it out.


I think I misunderstood what you are looking for. If you want charming and fun, please ignore the links I posted and let me recommend somethings else instead:

0 x
Transcription challenge: 1. episode of De Ijzeren Eeuw (The Iron Century)
Minutes: 6 / 43

User avatar
zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Posts: 2015
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:21 pm
Location: Germany and France
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - actively studying German (B2/C1), Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859
x 4994
Contact:

Re: zenmonkey's multilingual adventures of a traveller

Postby zenmonkey » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:25 pm

Kat wrote:
zenmonkey wrote:
Lawyer&Mom wrote:Mord mit Aussicht is really charming and fun. Not the kind of thing I would typically watch in English, but still totally recommended.

Thanks! Love getting recommendation and "charming and fun" is right down my alley. I'll check it out.


I think I misunderstood what you are looking for. If you want charming and fun, please ignore the links I posted and let me recommend somethings else instead:



No, thanks for the original links - I'm multimodal - what grabs my interest in one moment might be completely different. For example, I started watching Ku'damm 56 and even though it touches some harsh subjects, it is still incredible well done and engaging. I look forward to continue watching it. And also thank you for these!
2 x
Tagged posts: Language Method Resource
Please feel free to correct me in any language, critique my posts, challenge my thoughts.
I am inconsistency incarnate.
Go study! Publisher of Syriac, Aramaic, Hebrew alphabet apps at http://alphabetsnow.zyntx.com

User avatar
zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Posts: 2015
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:21 pm
Location: Germany and France
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - actively studying German (B2/C1), Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859
x 4994
Contact:

languages, alphabet and ...

Postby zenmonkey » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:10 pm

Been scrambling to update my apps over the last days as the end of year arrives and I have a bit of energy to do so. I've been looking for voice-overs for Syriac and Cherokee and they are really difficult to find. So I launched myself into three new apps (argh!) plus two that I'm trying to finish (double arggh!) plus the updates to the existing stuff.

So, I've been studying Korean Hagul along the way. Fascinating!

Thanks to all that, I have discovered a possible teacher for Setswana - more on that later - I sent an info request and I'm waiting for feedback, but this might be the solution I've been looking for. In the meantime, actual study time has been ... short. A few hours of Setswana, a few of German.

And I'll also note my frustration with Italian - I went to get my haircut today and I did not engage the friseur in Italian. We stuck to German up until I was paying, and then I spoke only a few sentences. Timidity and frustration that I really did not work on that language this year (it wasn't in the plans) but not even to the point of maintaining whatever Italian I had.

I think part of next year will be thinking about background activity on non-target, weak languages to sort of keep them in the basket of aspirations.
1 x
Tagged posts: Language Method Resource
Please feel free to correct me in any language, critique my posts, challenge my thoughts.
I am inconsistency incarnate.
Go study! Publisher of Syriac, Aramaic, Hebrew alphabet apps at http://alphabetsnow.zyntx.com

eido
Brown Belt
Posts: 1175
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:31 pm
Languages: *
x 2127

Re: languages, alphabet and ...

Postby eido » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:53 am

zenmonkey wrote:So, I've been studying Korean Hagul along the way. Fascinating!

What's your favorite part of the alphabet so far? I love the way Hangul looks, and I love Korean's sound, so I'm curious.

EDIT: have you thought about looking on Reddit to see if there's any native Cherokee speakers lurking there, or contacting tribal colleges in the States?
0 x

User avatar
zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Posts: 2015
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:21 pm
Location: Germany and France
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - actively studying German (B2/C1), Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859
x 4994
Contact:

Re: languages, alphabet and ...

Postby zenmonkey » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:47 am

eido wrote:
zenmonkey wrote:So, I've been studying Korean Hagul along the way. Fascinating!

What's your favorite part of the alphabet so far? I love the way Hangul looks, and I love Korean's sound, so I'm curious.

EDIT: have you thought about looking on Reddit to see if there's any native Cherokee speakers lurking there, or contacting tribal colleges in the States?


I really like the logic of it and how quickly one can pick up the basics of deciphering. I also like the sound of it. I found a few native speakers to record words / sounds and there is definitely something enjoyable in listening to them.

Cherokee is a bit more difficult because not only is it difficult to find someone willing to participate but the language fluidity varies greatly. I'm on contact with two groups in the US for some other linguistic projects and it is just a question of time and energy -- it will get done in 2019. I'll be in the US for the next 4 weeks, I hope to reach out then.
2 x
Tagged posts: Language Method Resource
Please feel free to correct me in any language, critique my posts, challenge my thoughts.
I am inconsistency incarnate.
Go study! Publisher of Syriac, Aramaic, Hebrew alphabet apps at http://alphabetsnow.zyntx.com

User avatar
SGP
Blue Belt
Posts: 929
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:33 pm
Languages: DE (native), EN (C2), ES (B2), FR (B2); some more at various levels
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 30#p120230
x 284

Re: languages, alphabet and ...

Postby SGP » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:34 am

zenmonkey wrote:
eido wrote:
zenmonkey wrote:So, I've been studying Korean Hagul along the way. Fascinating!

What's your favorite part of the alphabet so far? I love the way Hangul looks, and I love Korean's sound, so I'm curious.

EDIT: have you thought about looking on Reddit to see if there's any native Cherokee speakers lurking there, or contacting tribal colleges in the States?


I really like the logic of it and how quickly one can pick up the basics of deciphering. I also like the sound of it.

Logic and deciphering - Korean or Hangul?
0 x
Previously known as SGP. But my mental username now is langmon.

Log


User avatar
zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Posts: 2015
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:21 pm
Location: Germany and France
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - actively studying German (B2/C1), Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859
x 4994
Contact:

Re: languages, alphabet and ...

Postby zenmonkey » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:44 pm

SGP wrote:
zenmonkey wrote:
eido wrote:
zenmonkey wrote:So, I've been studying Korean Hagul along the way. Fascinating!

What's your favorite part of the alphabet so far? I love the way Hangul looks, and I love Korean's sound, so I'm curious.

EDIT: have you thought about looking on Reddit to see if there's any native Cherokee speakers lurking there, or contacting tribal colleges in the States?


I really like the logic of it and how quickly one can pick up the basics of deciphering. I also like the sound of it.

Logic and deciphering - Korean or Hangul?


The Hangul writing system.
0 x
Tagged posts: Language Method Resource
Please feel free to correct me in any language, critique my posts, challenge my thoughts.
I am inconsistency incarnate.
Go study! Publisher of Syriac, Aramaic, Hebrew alphabet apps at http://alphabetsnow.zyntx.com

User avatar
SGP
Blue Belt
Posts: 929
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:33 pm
Languages: DE (native), EN (C2), ES (B2), FR (B2); some more at various levels
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 30#p120230
x 284

Re: languages, alphabet and ...

Postby SGP » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:19 pm

SGP wrote:Logic and deciphering - Korean or Hangul?
zenmonkey wrote:The Hangul writing system.

Understanding the basic of deciphering it: already got your point, I guess.
But what about its very logic?
0 x
Previously known as SGP. But my mental username now is langmon.

Log


User avatar
zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Posts: 2015
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:21 pm
Location: Germany and France
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - actively studying German (B2/C1), Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859
x 4994
Contact:

Re: languages, alphabet and ...

Postby zenmonkey » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:32 pm

SGP wrote:
SGP wrote:Logic and deciphering - Korean or Hangul?
zenmonkey wrote:The Hangul writing system.

Understanding the basic of deciphering it: already got your point, I guess.
But what about its very logic?


The Hangul include information about tongue placement during pronunciation. Therefore there is some visual representation on how a word-morphene will be produced. It is this logic which I was referring to.
5 x
Tagged posts: Language Method Resource
Please feel free to correct me in any language, critique my posts, challenge my thoughts.
I am inconsistency incarnate.
Go study! Publisher of Syriac, Aramaic, Hebrew alphabet apps at http://alphabetsnow.zyntx.com

User avatar
zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Posts: 2015
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:21 pm
Location: Germany and France
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - actively studying German (B2/C1), Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859
x 4994
Contact:

Hebrew - FSI - Lesson 1

Postby zenmonkey » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:27 pm

Had to clean up some of the links to the front of this log which pointed to the old domain and are now hijacked - yikes!

Coming back from the US, I've brought back some nice books and language related gifts.

I have a hardcopy of the Hebrew FSI Basic Course and I've finally started that. Completed lesson 1 today. It took me 3 times the recorded time, because as practice, I'm also printing out the dialogues. Over the winter vacation I've forgotten my Hebrew script!! I'm currently not signed up for italki classes and I'd like to spend at least 45 minutes a day for 10 days before I do so. I'm rusty.

And I don't know if part of the problem is that I'm just getting over the flu but this lesson seemed harder than it should have been (brain fog?)

Looking back over my log, I feel it is sort of a mess but I don't think I'll start a new one with the new year. I like the continuity of the long logs for some reason.

[tags: #tagLangHE]
9 x
Tagged posts: Language Method Resource
Please feel free to correct me in any language, critique my posts, challenge my thoughts.
I am inconsistency incarnate.
Go study! Publisher of Syriac, Aramaic, Hebrew alphabet apps at http://alphabetsnow.zyntx.com


Return to “Language logs”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest