zenmonkey's multilingual adventures of a traveller

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
SGP
Blue Belt
Languages: DE (native), EN (C2), ES (B2), FR (B2); some more at various levels
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 30#p120230

Re: zenmonkey's multilingual adventures of a traveller

Postby SGP » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:13 am

zenmonkey wrote:Language relevant background:
  • I’m an old fart in the language learning arena - I started at an early age and was on HTLAL since 2006.
  • I live in between Germany and France and travel almost weekly to one or the other.[...]

If I could, I would even ask you about your reason for traveling almost weekly. :). But in addition to not knowing if you do it any more, I also wouldn't want to ask too many (possibly very personal) questions.

What I do like do ask you is how you perceived that frequent switch from one country to another. Related to the change of the behavior/attitude/etc. of the people surrounding you.
0 x
Previously known as SGP. But my mental username now is langmon.

Log

SGP
Blue Belt

Re: German and Strategies

Postby SGP » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:20 am

zenmonkey wrote:
SGP wrote:[...] What is your way of gamification?

Mine is doing the same language learning activities I could be doing, too, if I never would have heard of the word "gamification" before. [...]
Gamification is a term to describe turning an activity into a game with score, points or streaks in order to drive a competitive spirit, compliance of use or frequency of use.
Could be that you are simply explaining the meaning because this is a public post rather than a PM. As for me personally, I wrote "... if I never would have heard of the word "gamification" before." ;).

It is often used in learning apps - memrise, duolingo and many other learning tools use a "game like" interface for this reason. I can be useful to drive use, but it can also make the user focus on the game-like qualities rather than the learning experience.
I use duolingo, drops, memrise and my own development for some things...
Now that fully does answer my question on your way of gamification.
The one I am using is simply continuing to learn languages, without doing anything additional like even writing down my current _____ [Swahili/Nihongo/...] score or anything. Doing it within a framework of joy and passion, that would be all.

Yes, I was talking about active grammar study. Which I personally feel is always somewhat necessary (even in my native languages) unless you are ok with fossilising non-standard registers.

Being a non-native of English, just wondered if I got you right. "Fossilising non-standard registers" = "fossilising non-standard language usage, like something that isn't in accordance with the Standard Grammar"?
0 x

Log

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2), French (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7786

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:24 pm

SGP wrote:
Lawyer&Mom wrote:Mord mit Aussicht is really charming and fun. Not the kind of thing I would typically watch in English, but still totally recommended.

Any "non-spoiling" very brief description?
(And yes, I could just use a search engine. But simply [a bit] curious what would be the first words that you would mention).

Big city cop moves into the countryside to live with her irascible father and investigate the inordinate amount of rural crime. Hijinks ensue.

Kind of a Murder She Wrote, Northern Exposure light comedy.
2 x
Grammaire progressive du français -
niveau debutant
: 60 / 60

Grammaire progressive du francais -
intermédiaire
: 25 / 52

Pimsleur French 1-5
: 3 / 5

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:50 am

SGP wrote:Being a non-native of English, just wondered if I got you right. "Fossilising non-standard registers" = "fossilising non-standard language usage, like something that isn't in accordance with the Standard Grammar"?

Yes.

zenmonkey wrote:Language relevant background:
  • I’m an old fart in the language learning arena - I started at an early age and was on HTLAL since 2006.
  • I live in between Germany and France and travel almost weekly to one or the other.[...]

If I could, I would even ask you about your reason for traveling almost weekly. :). But in addition to not knowing if you do it any more, I also wouldn't want to ask too many (possibly very personal) questions.

What I do like do ask you is how you perceived that frequent switch from one country to another. Related to the change of the behavior/attitude/etc. of the people surrounding you.

I reside mostly in Germany, my daughters are in mostly in two/three cities in France. Hence the travel.
As to behavior and attitude - yes, they certainly differ but I don’t attach those differences particularly to nationality but to individuals and experience. And this forum is not the place to make generalizations of that sort anyway.
0 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

SGP
Blue Belt

Postby SGP » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:00 am

zenmonkey wrote:As to behavior and attitude - yes, they certainly differ but I don’t attach those differences particularly to nationality but to individuals and experience.

As it is no secret, there are many, many factors involved :). The different personalities aren't shaped by their country only.

And this forum is not the place to make generalizations of that sort anyway.

Just in case that what I wrote caused a certain impression (asking you for this kind of generalizations), I didn't intend to cause it. I am simply someone who, y'know, tries to look at the Bigger Picture as much as possible (that's why I keep not one, but two logs, about communication, society, and so on).

Es hat auch in meinem eigenen Leben sehr viele Fälle gegeben, in denen z.B. bestimmte "Klischees" eben nicht erfüllt wurden. Es gibt viele Franzosen, die vollkommen fließend Englisch sprechen, Deutsche, die kein Sauerkraut mögen, Italiener, die vollständig auf Pizza verzichten, etc., etc. Ich denke, es ist klar, was ich damit sagen möchte.
0 x

Log

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.

Postby zenmonkey » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:16 am

SGP wrote:
zenmonkey wrote:As to behavior and attitude - yes, they certainly differ but I don’t attach those differences particularly to nationality but to individuals and experience.

As it is no secret, there are many, many factors involved :). The different personalities aren't shaped by their country only.

And this forum is not the place to make generalizations of that sort anyway.

Just in case that what I wrote caused a certain impression (asking you for this kind of generalizations), I didn't intend to cause it. I am simply someone who, y'know, tries to look at the Bigger Picture as much as possible (that's why I keep not one, but two logs, about communication, society, and so on).

Es hat auch in meinem eigenen Leben sehr viele Fälle gegeben, in denen z.B. bestimmte "Klischees" eben nicht erfüllt wurden. Es gibt viele Franzosen, die vollkommen fließend Englisch sprechen, Deutsche, die kein Sauerkraut mögen, Italiener, die vollständig auf Pizza verzichten, etc., etc. Ich denke, es ist klar, was ich damit sagen möchte.

You did not make a negative impression for asking that question - it just isn't a discussion for the website, nor one I'm interested in pursuing.
0 x

Kat
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N), English (advanced), Dutch (intermediate)

Postby Kat » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:19 pm

zenmonkey wrote:
Lawyer&Mom wrote:Mord mit Aussicht is really charming and fun. Not the kind of thing I would typically watch in English, but still totally recommended.

Thanks! Love getting recommendation and "charming and fun" is right down my alley. I'll check it out.

I think I misunderstood what you are looking for. If you want charming and fun, please ignore the links I posted and let me recommend somethings else instead:

0 x
Transcription challenge: 1. episode of De Ijzeren Eeuw (The Iron Century)
Minutes: 6 / 43

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby zenmonkey » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:25 pm

Kat wrote:
zenmonkey wrote:

Thanks! Love getting recommendation and "charming and fun" is right down my alley. I'll check it out.

I think I misunderstood what you are looking for. If you want charming and fun, please ignore the links I posted and let me recommend somethings else instead:

No, thanks for the original links - I'm multimodal - what grabs my interest in one moment might be completely different. For example, I started watching Ku'damm 56 and even though it touches some harsh subjects, it is still incredible well done and engaging. I look forward to continue watching it. And also thank you for these!
2 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

languages, alphabet and ...

Postby zenmonkey » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:10 pm

Been scrambling to update my apps over the last days as the end of year arrives and I have a bit of energy to do so. I've been looking for voice-overs for Syriac and Cherokee and they are really difficult to find. So I launched myself into three new apps (argh!) plus two that I'm trying to finish (double arggh!) plus the updates to the existing stuff.

So, I've been studying Korean Hagul along the way. Fascinating!

Thanks to all that, I have discovered a possible teacher for Setswana - more on that later - I sent an info request and I'm waiting for feedback, but this might be the solution I've been looking for. In the meantime, actual study time has been ... short. A few hours of Setswana, a few of German.

And I'll also note my frustration with Italian - I went to get my haircut today and I did not engage the friseur in Italian. We stuck to German up until I was paying, and then I spoke only a few sentences. Timidity and frustration that I really did not work on that language this year (it wasn't in the plans) but not even to the point of maintaining whatever Italian I had.

I think part of next year will be thinking about background activity on non-target, weak languages to sort of keep them in the basket of aspirations.
1 x

eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Re: languages, alphabet and ...

Postby eido » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:53 am

zenmonkey wrote:So, I've been studying Korean Hagul along the way. Fascinating!

What's your favorite part of the alphabet so far? I love the way Hangul looks, and I love Korean's sound, so I'm curious.

EDIT: have you thought about looking on Reddit to see if there's any native Cherokee speakers lurking there, or contacting tribal colleges in the States?
0 x

Return to “Language logs”