피카 Fika

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Bunnychu
Orange Belt
Languages: Romanian (N), English (?), Korean (Intermediate), Swedish (Beginner), French/Spanish (Elementary)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7956

Re: Bunnychu's log (Korean & French)

Postby Bunnychu » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:40 am

Maybe it is because now you are more aware of your own mistakes? The more you study the more you know, but speaking is an active skill that needs more than just the knowledge. Think about it as reading a book about swimming. You may know the right way to swim, but you still haven't adquired the skill to actually swim. You need to get inside the water and practice there to actually be able to swim. But if you overthink about what you read in the book when you are in the water then you may drown. In the water the main priority is survival, it doesn't have to be pretty it just have to be effective. When you go out of the water you can analize your mistakes, practice the right way mentally and then get in the water again and challenge yourself. I think the same happens with learning to speak: you can practice in a controled environment, but when you are in the water (when you are actually speaking to someone) the priority isn't to remember all the knowledge and follow the book, you focus on staying afloat, you focus on effective communication even if it is not pretty or it is full of mistakes, you keep the conversation alive, and that's all that matters. Later you can analize alone or with a tutor or with your conversation partner what were your biggest mistakes and you practice the right way many times and then you go into the water again. (These are just my thoughts on the matter. I think the more we know what should be the right thing, the more scared we get of making mistakes, and so we get huge mental blocks. We just need to let go of any expectation and keep moving. We eventually will make a breakthrough and see the pay-off of all our efforts).

For me a very enjoyable way to practice speaking without the fear of making huge mistakes and getting blocked is by acting k-drama dialogues. It's a lot of fun! ;)

I think you are right. I set high expectations for myself and, as you said, I need to let go of them and just enjoy the fact that I'm actually able to communicate. A year ago I wouldn't have seen myself having conversations beyond the point of 'how are you?' and 'what are you doing today?' :lol: . Thank you very much for you message, it was actually eye-opening that I need to go easy on myself and in the end everything will fall into place. I might try drama dialogues in the future, it does sound like a lot of fun. ^_^
1 x

Bunnychu
Orange Belt
Languages: Romanian (N), English (?), Korean (Intermediate), Swedish (Beginner), French/Spanish (Elementary)

Re: Bunnychu's log (Korean & French)

Postby Bunnychu » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:45 pm

Hello again :mrgreen:
Just a quick update:
  • I've finished Yonsei Korean Reading 2
  • I've participated in italki's October language challenge and I've finally got my 20 hours badge :mrgreen:

Even though I'm not updating my log, I do read logs on this forum and I get inspired by you guys everyday.
2 x

Christi
Orange Belt
Languages: Dutch (N), English (C1), German (B1), Korean (high A2-low B1?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=7574

Re: Bunnychu's log (Korean)

Postby Christi » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:46 am

That reminds me, I still haven't finished Yonsei Reading 2, oops :lol:
Really should get to it. Have you learned a lot from it?

I read it a bit, then I got bored and started reading stories, which I want to finish first before continuing with Yonsei.
2 x
2020 resolution words learned: 472 / 1000
Pages read at end of 2020: 220 / 1500

Bunnychu
Orange Belt

Postby Bunnychu » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:01 am

Christi wrote:That reminds me, I still haven't finished Yonsei Reading 2, oops :lol:
Really should get to it. Have you learned a lot from it?

I read it a bit, then I got bored and started reading stories, which I want to finish first before continuing with Yonsei.

I enjoyed reading Yonsei 2 but I can't say I learned much from it because I already knew the words they introduced. I think it strengthened my understanding of the words though. At the moment I'm studying with Yonsei 3 and I encounter a few unknown words while improving my comprehension. :D
0 x

Bunnychu
Orange Belt

Postby Bunnychu » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:34 am

Topik.jpg

I got these 2 books as a gift :mrgreen: and starting this month I will start preparing for Topik II. I'm thinking of taking the exam next year in April or May depending on my skill at the time. Until then I need to work hard.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x

Christi
Orange Belt
Languages: Dutch (N), English (C1), German (B1), Korean (high A2-low B1?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=7574

Postby Christi » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:47 pm

How's the Topik preparation going?

I recently discovered that there will also be a Topik in my country (and possibly even my city!), so got to wondering if I should take it and aim for level 3 in November. Not sure how to study for it though. I got Topik in 30 days intermedite version (which I won't do in 30 days, and will put off for a while), Topik writing (a weak point of mine), KGIU intermediate and some casual books (Yonsei reading 2 and 3, comics etc).

Tbh, at this moment I think I'm nowhere near level 3. Haven't tried any mock exams yet, but my listening and writing skills don't seem very good and while I do know something like 2200 words, I don't think they are words that will appear on the tests (formal and about things like politics, economics etc). And I can't spend hrs or studying per day.

There's almost a year before the test though, so I hope it's doable at my snail's pace. Sorry if I took over your log, just wanted to get your opinion since you have advanced so quickly!
0 x
2020 resolution words learned: 472 / 1000
Pages read at end of 2020: 220 / 1500

Bunnychu
Orange Belt

Postby Bunnychu » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:19 am

Christi wrote:How's the Topik preparation going?

My Topik preparation is going well but a bit slower than I initially thought. Work is busy and I come home very tired so I don't dedicate as much time as before to studying, but I try to do something everyday.

Christi wrote:I recently discovered that there will also be a Topik in my country (and possibly even my city!), so got to wondering if I should take it and aim for level 3 in November. Not sure how to study for it though. I got Topik in 30 days intermedite version (which I won't do in 30 days, and will put off for a while), Topik writing (a weak point of mine), KGIU intermediate and some casual books (Yonsei reading 2 and 3, comics etc).

Tbh, at this moment I think I'm nowhere near level 3. Haven't tried any mock exams yet, but my listening and writing skills don't seem very good and while I do know something like 2200 words, I don't think they are words that will appear on the tests (formal and about things like politics, economics etc). And I can't spend hrs or studying per day.

There's almost a year before the test though, so I hope it's doable at my snail's pace. Sorry if I took over your log, just wanted to get your opinion since you have advanced so quickly!

That's really nice that Topik will be held in your country. You should definitely go for it because it pushes you and it's helpful to have something to strive for. From the mock-up tests that I've done I've seen that understanding the meaning of a hanja will help you a lot. What I do is every time I encounter an unknown word I look at the hanja meaning too, not necessarily memorizing the character, just the meaning. I remember words quicker because I know what their individual syllables mean. Also preparing for the writing part is important, many people overlook that. You can do it! 파이팅!!!
2 x

Bunnychu
Orange Belt

Re: 피카 Fika

Postby Bunnychu » Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:51 pm

New year, new me same me
I haven't been studying much last year as work took a toll on my mental health. [For people who would like to work in the video game industry, just don't.]
This year I plan to study more through reading and listening. I'm in no rush for either Korean or Swedish so I'll take things slowly and enjoy the process.

작년에는 원래 한국어와 스웨덴어를 열심히 공부할 계획이 있었는데 계속 일하느라 정신이 없어서 많이 못 했네요. 올해는 많이 못 한 한국어와 스웨덴어 공부를 좀 하려고 해요. 작년이 정말 힘들었던만큼 올해는 좋은 일만 있었으면 좋겠어요.

Jag är fortfarande börjare på svenska. Även om jag bor i Sverige känns det inte som det. Jag har inga kompisar här och jag gick inte heller mycket ute. I år planerar jag att studera svenska genom att läsa lästbocker och lyssna.

I plan to update this log weekly. I also discovered I review my notes more often if they're on google docs.
To start this of this is what I did today:
Korean:
- L: video lectures (MasterTopik)
- R: 나는 나로 살기로 했다 (2 chapters)
- R: 인어를 위한 수영교실 (1 chapter)
Screenshot 2021-01-01 184427.png

Swedish:
- R: Mumintrollen och den osynliga gasten
- LR: (Slow Swedish video)

Happy New Year to everyone! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
6 x

Bunnychu
Orange Belt

Postby Bunnychu » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:16 pm

This week's progress:
Screenshot 2021-01-07 171457.png

I'm still on PTO until next week, and that's why this week I've studied a bit more than I had planned. I was also able to book italki classes almost everyday and it has been helpful in keeping me on track. The classes were a bit hard as I forgot lots and on top of that I got braces on Monday which made talking awfully difficult. It was quite a challenge :mrgreen: While I work I don't think I'll be able to stick to such a study plan.

저는 휴가 중이라서 이번 주에 생각보다 공부도 좀 더 많이 했고 수업도 거의 매일 들었어요. 다음 주부터 직장에 돌아가기 때문에 열심히 공부를 못 할 것 같아요. 한국어를 좀 잊어버리는 데다가 월요일에 치아 교정기를 해서 수업에서 말하기가 어렵긴 했지만 수업이 도움이 많이 되더라고요. 하물며 투명 교정기에 혀를 베여서 아프더라고요. ㅠㅠ

Den här veckan har jag läst på svenska 'Mumintrollen och den osynliga gäst', 'En oväntad vänskap' (båda böcker är lättläst böcker) och flera nyheter. Jag har också tittat på några långsamma svenska videor på youtube. På koreanska har jag läst några avsnitt av '인어를 위한 수영실' webtoon, 110/400 sidor av '나는 나로 살기로 했다', och några nyheter. (Jag försokte skriva den här texten utan lexicon)
4 x

Bunnychu
Orange Belt

Postby Bunnychu » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:18 am

jan08-14.png

Like I anticipated, the time I could allot to studying this week has decreased. Lately I enjoy LR method and I feel it's something that I can do everyday without feeling overwhelmed.

제가 예상했던 대로 이번 주 공부를 많이 못 했지만 그래도 듣기와 독해로 공부하는 게 월씬 더 재미있더라고요. 김이 식지 않으면서 매일 할 수 있는 거거든요.

Denna vecka har jag studerat mindre, men det är ok, för att jag gillar att plugga med LR (lyssning & läsning ?) metoden. Jag känner att det är bra, eftersom jag kan göra det varje dag utan att känna mig överväldigad.

Korean:
- continued reading 인어를 위한 수영교실
- continued reading 나는 나로 살기로 했다
- read various news articles (YTN, Naver)
- italki class
- language exchange
- TTMIK bibimchat

Swedish:
- Nyheter på lätt svenska
- started reading Mio min Mio by Astrid Lindgren
5 x

Return to “Language logs”