Wiki Grumbles & Reviews

Discuss the LLORG's and HTLAL forum's past and its future here.
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Wiki Grumbles & Reviews

Postby rdearman » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:43 pm

I am moving this thread as well to the HTLAL LLORG section since this is a discussion of a website not a general discussion of languages. Please post wiki or blog related content there.
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

fcoulter
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (beginner)

Postby fcoulter » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:46 pm

rdearman wrote:I am moving this thread as well to the HTLAL LLORG section since this is a discussion of a website not a general discussion of languages. Please post wiki or blog related content there.

Probably a good idea. I wasn't sure where it should go, so I guessed. Wrong.
1 x

fcoulter
Orange Belt

Postby fcoulter » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:51 pm

zenmonkey wrote:The concepts Language Islands, Chunking, etc... all should have there own Wiki page like Shadowing, etc have. :D

Could have sworn I saw something about Chunking in the wiki so I could say that someone beat your to it. Nope.

I would love to see where Language Islands is used the way that it's being used here. When I googled the term, I didn't find it anywhere defined differently than Wikipedia's definition.
0 x

tommus
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Dutch (B2)

Postby tommus » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:54 pm

fcoulter wrote:
tommus wrote:If you find my contributions so objectionable, then I will delete all of them and end my contribution to the Wiki even though I have a whole lot more Dutch material I could contribute.

I was looking at the article on the Dutch language, and what it badly needs is more information about the Phonology, Grammar, and Orthography of the language. (I'm assuming you're a native Dutch speaker, so the Common difficulties would be foreign to you, although I'm sure you can tell us everything that's wrong with English.) You could also organize all the resources so that they're not just a simple list.

If you glanced at my profile on the right hand side of the page, you could see that I am native English and B2 in Dutch. I will contribute what I can but I won't be doing that long list of tasks you have for me.

I would suggest you completely abandon your concept of "language islands".
0 x
Dutch: 01 September -> 31 December 2020
Watch 1000 Dutch TV Series Videos : 40 / 1000

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:58 pm

fcoulter wrote:
zenmonkey wrote:The concepts Language Islands, Chunking, etc... all should have there own Wiki page like Shadowing, etc have. :D

Could have sworn I saw something about Chunking in the wiki so I could say that someone beat your to it. Nope.

I would love to see where Language Islands is used the way that it's being used here. When I googled the term, I didn't find it anywhere defined differently than Wikipedia's definition.

The concept of language islands as we use it is from this book.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Improve-Your-F ... 0967990750
0 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:00 am

I don’t want to go through 7 theeads, but do we know or have we decided on the purpose of the wiki? (Seeing we’re already talking about deleting articles).

What happens if I write an article on flashcards being The Best Way to learn vocabulary? (And if I write it as a guest post on the LLorg main site?)
1 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

fcoulter
Orange Belt

Postby fcoulter » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:02 am

zenmonkey wrote:I'd really prefer people focused on adding new content or editing content to improve it, rather than deleting other user's content.

As I said elsewhere, I'm not interested in deleting content. IF there was a consensus, I'd be changing the names of the articles to something like "Dutch/English Parallel Text: Canada" rather than "Canada", and changing the category from "Dutch Language Islands" to "Dutch/English Parallel Texts". But that's not deleting any content. The author went to a lot of work, which I wouldn't want to see thrown away. I'm not sure it adds to the wiki, but unless it's badly organized it doesn't hurt the wiki. (I do think they might be better in their own wiki, so that people who are really interested in Dutch/English parallel texts aren't distracted by articles on [urlhttps://learnanylanguage.wikia.com/wiki/Turkmen]Turkmen[/url]. Did you know that there's a Random Article menu option?)

As for editing content to improve it, that would be great. I've suggested users "adopting" an existing page in order to make the page better. And I've suggested that the person who made all the parallel text articles look at the Dutch article to see how it can be improved. (I made suggestions, but that's all they were.)
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:04 am

Please note that the administrators of the wiki are the moderator here EMK and moderator Serpent. You need to talk to them about jioning the admin team or about deletions etc.
1 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:11 am

fcoulter wrote:

Here is a first draft description of Language Islands
0 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

fcoulter
Orange Belt

Postby fcoulter » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:15 am

rdearman wrote:
fcoulter wrote:I would love to see where Language Islands is used the way that it's being used here. When I googled the term, I didn't find it anywhere defined differently than Wikipedia's definition.

The concept of language islands as we use it is from this book.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Improve-Your-F ... 0967990750

The "long" list of tasks plays to your apparent strengths in Dutch, and would improve an existing article no end. The existing article is barely there.

I was going to grumble about you recommending a seventy pound book, and then I noticed a new edition for barely over ten. (There's no way a rational human being would buy it for a thousand pounds. You gotta love computerized pricing algorithms.)
How to Improve.png

I hope there's more to the book than that definition. On the other hand, it was only $10.95. I've blown more than that on lotto tickets. But I've heard the name Shekhtman favorably mentioned elsewhere.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Return to “LLORG & HTLAL discussion area”