What would you do if you could never travel?

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
zeejiang
Languages: Chinese (N), English (B2), Polish (beginner)

Re: What would you do if you could never travel?

Postby zeejiang » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:02 pm

I really can't live without traveling. Exploring and seeing new sites is my passion. I can't think about not to travel.
0 x

Chupito
Yellow Belt
Languages: French* and English
Learning: Spanish (beginner)

Postby Chupito » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:55 am

It's a scary scenario and it would absolutely change many things. Assuming the restriction applies only to me, and not my husband and our hypothetical children, I think we would move to my homecountry. I have had to visit back "home" for family emergencies many times since emigrating and I can not imagine not being able to do so and not being able to provide any support to my parents and my sister as my parents age. Both of our careers would be significantly affected as well. I would have to drop out of grad school and I don't think I would be able to start it over again. It's a toss up whether I would still learn Spanish and frankly, wouldn't be one of my top preoccupations.

Your second scenario, where I am stuck in my current city, is even worse on a familial level, although easier to deal with career and education-wise. I already speak both of the main languages of my city. Spanish is the third most spoken language so I might stick with it, although my dream to travel around Central or South America someday plays a big part in wanting to speak Spanish.
0 x
Corrections welcome in any language.

Super challenge:
listening: 3 / 100 reading: 1 / 100

podcasts: 3 / 100

eikona
Languages: english, polish, ru, fr

Postby eikona » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:03 am

That's like more often the case, a completely normal situaton. How many nomads you know, personally? I think I know one, with another I'm not sure, that persoon does not define herself like that.

It takes resources to travel, or exceptional wit to go around without some,cut down on them and travel anyway. Certainly not that many people choose expatriation, and relocate themselves completely, and in a context of getting an ability to speak in a different lingo, that'd be crucial I think. Or recurrent choosing the same destination. If I am to go once to Vietnam for a 5 day trip, and this is the main motivation to learn say, again, Vietnamese, then I dont really know whay am i doin...
1 x

Versus
White Belt
Languages: Serbian, English

Postby Versus » Wed May 29, 2019 7:48 pm

So far, I have not had many opportunities to travel, but I have learned a foreign language because I was interested in it and I will continue to do that. As far as travel is concerned, you never know...
0 x

Return to “Travel and Culture”