My life is still a mess but I'm still learning.

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Random Review
Green Belt
Languages: En (N), Es (int), De (pre-int), Pt (pre-int), Zh-CN (beg), El (beg), yid (beg)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 75#p123375

My life is still a mess but I'm still learning.

Postby Random Review » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:22 am

I hope to start a log on what I am doing both learning languages and teaching English. Looks like I will probably be going to East Java in Indonesia next, subject to the visa. Neither Indonesian nor Javanese were on my wish list, really I wanted to continue learning Mandarin and refresh my German TBH. :cry:
Anyway, I will try to make the best of it. I guess it would be rude not to learn some Indonesian at least. I will probably give Javanese (which is seemingly quite a lot harder from what I have read) a miss unless (unlikely) I stay more than one year.

So I will try to continue with Mandarin (no hard and fast goals, just keep it ticking over), learn some Indonesian (exactly what goals I will set myself I will decide when I see if it is as easy as people claim*, try to improve as an English teacher and maybe play a bit with German for enjoyment. In fact my only hard and fast goal this year is to try and start a DELTA, so that I hopefully have more choice of location in future. I'm sure Indonesia is lovely for many people; but at my age a year is a long time to waste.

We will see.

* Given that many of the phonemic descriptions I have seen are shockingly wrong, I have my doubts about these claims. A perfect phonemic description is too much to ask; but 5 minutes Googling will give you a pretty solid foundational roadmap for Spanish, German, Mandarin Chinese, Portuguese... hell even Greek and Yiddish. I was quite shocked at how misleading the descriptions of Indonesian I found were! Honourable exception to the DLI course, which to my ears seems to have done a somewhat better job than any others I found.
6 x
German input 100 hours by 30-06: 4 / 100
Spanish input 200 hours by 30-06: 0 / 200
German study 50 hours by 30-06: 3 / 100
Spanish study 200 hours by 30-06: 0 / 200
Spanish conversation 100 hours by 30-06: 0 / 100

Axon
Blue Belt
Languages: Comfortable: German, Mandarin, Indonesian.
Rusty: Spanish, French, Russian.
Also: Cantonese, Vietnamese, Polish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5086

Re: My life is still a mess but I'm still learning.

Postby Axon » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:03 pm

Looking forward to your log!

Random Review wrote:* Given that many of the phonemic descriptions I have seen are shockingly wrong, I have my doubts about these claims. A perfect phonemic description is too much to ask; but 5 minutes Googling will give you a pretty solid foundational roadmap for Spanish, German, Mandarin Chinese, Portuguese... hell even Greek and Yiddish. I was quite shocked at how misleading the descriptions of Indonesian I found were! Honourable exception to the DLI course, which to my ears seems to have done a somewhat better job than any others I found.

I spent ten months in Yogyakarta and I have some choice words about the way Indonesian is often taught, particularly with regard to the sounds. Say the word and I will write you (here or over PM) a detailed introduction to Indonesian pronunciation. I'll even throw in what I was able to figure out about Javanese.
1 x

Return to “Language logs”