Introduce yourself here

General discussion about learning languages
victorhart
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Brazilian Portuguese (N), Spanish (advanced fluency), French (intermediate fluency), Mandarin (beginner)

Re: Introduce yourself here

Postby victorhart » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:57 pm

Hi, I'm Victor Hart, a language enthusiast. I live in Brazil and am a native speaker of English and Portuguese, and fluent in Spanish and French. I'm trying to learn Mandarin just by watching authentic videos (and occasionally learning songs), as a language acquisition experiment. Last night I decided to learn at least a little Russian before traveling to Moscow.

I'm increasingly interested in using technology to make language acquisition more fun, effective, and efficient.
5 x
linguanaturalis.com

litex
Languages: russian, italian, polish, english

Postby litex » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:32 am

hi ! my name is Mark and i'm from Poland, i'm going to USA for summer and looking for some nice school there ;)
1 x

TeoLanguages
Orange Belt
Languages: Italian (N)
English (C1)
Spanish (C1)
French (B1)
German (A2)

Postby TeoLanguages » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:18 am

Hi! I'm Teo and I'm a language enthusiast. My native language is Italian and I know English and Spanish. Now I'm learning German and I wanna start learning French from January 1st.
2 x

Djedida
White Belt
Languages: EN (N), ES (B1), IT, JP

Postby Djedida » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:37 am

Hello, I am Djedida, a language dabbler.

Other than my native English, my strongest language would be Spanish, which I have learned throughout middle school through university, but despite that would estimate it being at A2/B1. I practice mostly to maintain that level, although I do try to learn a bit more everyday. Being Hispanic myself, the language is a bit important to me, even though I find it a bit boring.

Recently I have decided take up Italian. I like the aesthetics of the way things are spelled, the way it sounds, and the culture behind the language. I find it funny that I find Spanish boring, but am enamored with Italian despite the languages being closely related. My decision to go to Italian was only after recently dropping Russian, which I had also been passionate about for a few months. Since the beginning, learning Russian had always been sort of slow going, but even after months I still felt like I had made little progress. When New Years comes around, I might think of picking Russian up again. For now, I just want something easy and fun to play with.

I also find (classical) Nahuatl interesting, but I'm not too serious about studying it right now. It would be something interesting to know, but maybe not worth the effort in learning just to know it. Perhaps if I could find an online community with other learners for it, my interest would grow. It would definitely be amazing if Duolingo could release an Nahuatl for ENG or ES speakers.

Also if you use Duolingo or Clozemasters, feel free to follow me! My username is the same on those sites.
0 x

SGP
Blue Belt
Languages: DE (native), EN (C2), ES (B2), FR (B2); some more at various levels
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 30#p120230

Postby SGP » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:42 am

Djedida wrote:Hello, I am Djedida, a language dabbler.

Hi there The New One a.k.a Djedida :).

Djedida wrote:Recently I have decided take up Italian. I like the aesthetics of the way things are spelled, the way it sounds, and the culture behind the language. I find it funny that I find Spanish boring, but am enamored with Italian despite the languages being closely related.

As for me, I don't find Spanish boring. But other than that, I already experienced a similar "phenomenon" with Italian. Still pondering upon the reason...
0 x
Previously known as SGP. But my mental username now is langmon.

Log

Kess
White Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (pre- intermediate)

Postby Kess » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:56 am

Hello everybody! My name is Dmitry. I am from Russia. I am here for studing English, and i would like help you study Russian.
And I am searching friends.
2 x

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt
Languages: en-us (n); français, gàidhlig, gaeilge, cymraeg, brezhoneg, español

Postby Cèid Donn » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:57 am

Hi, I'm Cèid Donn. I've been studying Scottish Gaelic and French, two of my heritage languages, for many years now, but in recent years it's been mostly self-study. I study several other languages as my interests, mood and time permit, but at the moment I am particularly focused on progressing in Welsh, Indonesian and Japanese, as well as learning a little Ojibwe and Navajo for Native American Heritage Month here in the US and reviewing my rusty German. I'm a post-college adult, so my life circumstances, responsibilities and health offer limit the time and energy that I can devote to my language studies, but learning languages is my main passion at this stage in my life and I am simply looking for a supportive community of like-minded people who enjoy learning languages too.

I am interested in starting a language learning log here, especially in preparation for goals for the coming year, but I will wait and get a feel for the forum before I do that. :)
6 x
Note from an educator and former ESL/test skills tutor: Any learner, including self-learners, can use the CEFR for self-assessment. The CEFR is for helping learners progress and not for gatekeeping and bullying.

fcoulter
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (beginner)

Postby fcoulter » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:25 pm

I just realized that I've been posting to the forums, but haven't introduced myself. So here goes.

I am a sixty year old American, born in New York to two native English speaking American parents. However, my native language is French. My father was a concert pianist and composer. We moved to France so he could perform when I was very young, where we stayed until I was approaching primary school. My daughter travelled to France a few years ago and found my old apartment and nursery school.

We returned to American, and I learned English watching television. I also promptly lost all my French. Fast forward through failed attempts at college, and I found myself in New York City. I joined a band, whose vocalist was also getting her Ph.D. in Mathematics. The two of us broke away from that band and formed out own band, which played around the east coast. During this time, we started to date and got married.

After she finished her degree, we moved to Florida, where she is a professor at a local university. We have two daughters, Kathryn and Christina. Kathryn graduated with a double major in mathematics and political science, and minors in music and French. While in college she did a bit of travelling to Europe and to Senegal (where she worked on French and Wolof). She is currently working on a Masters in Interdisciplinary Data Sciences. My younger daughter is finishing up a double major in vocal performance and musical theater. She went to Argentina to take Spanish for college, sung an opera in Bulgaria, and visited relatives in Greece.

I, on the other hand, didn't leave the country other than road trips through Canada for quite a while. However, while completing a Masters of Public Administration, I did spend a week in Seoul, studying the city government. Recently my wife and I are addressing this lack, and took a cruise on the Rhine River in 2017, and another cruise from Rome to Barcelona this summer (2018). This brings my country count to ten. Only one hundred and eighty (+/-) to go.

I'm working on French, primarily using Pimsleur and Duolingo. I've also ordered a copy of Métaquine, Tome 1 : Indications, which won the Prix Rosny-Aîné last year. (I suspect this will be a long term project, with me living in a dictionary for a lot of it.) Finally, I've been making a few edits to the Wiki. It would be nice if other people worked on it, too.

[Edited to clarify the whole native American thing and to clarify a bit of other language]
Last edited by fcoulter on Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5 x

SGP
Blue Belt
Languages: DE (native), EN (C2), ES (B2), FR (B2); some more at various levels
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 30#p120230

Postby SGP » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:37 pm

fcoulter wrote:I just realized that I've been posting to the forums, but haven't introduced myself. So here goes.

I am a sixty year old native American.

There is a number of things I have been expecting to maybe happen on this forum. But this one didn't come to my mind at all. Really surprised :).
0 x
Previously known as SGP. But my mental username now is langmon.

Log

fcoulter
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (beginner)

Postby fcoulter » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:04 pm

SGP wrote:
fcoulter wrote:I just realized that I've been posting to the forums, but haven't introduced myself. So here goes.

I am a sixty year old native American.

There is a number of things I have been expecting to maybe happen on this forum. But this one didn't come to my mind at all. Really surprised :).

?

By the way, I mean "native American" in that I was born in American, not "Native American" in that my ancestors were here before Columbus (or Erikson).
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”