Postby Jaleel10 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:00 pm

New Esperanto Course that was released yesterday (04/10/2018) in the UK

Teach Yourself Complete Esperanto

It'll be available in the states in mid December according to Amazon US
3 x

Speakeasy

Re: Language Programmes - Offers, Sales and Discounts

Postby Speakeasy » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:20 pm

The Linguaphone 50% Sale that has been running since early this summer is about to end ...

Linguaphone, U.K.
https://www.linguaphone.co.uk/
Linguaphone Sale Ends.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Zegpoddle
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), rusty French and German (formerly B2 in each), Russian (beginner), Mandarin Chinese (A2/HSK3)

Postby Zegpoddle » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:37 pm

Hachette UK has recently relaunched the entire line of Michel Thomas courses in a new streaming digital format:

https://www.michelthomas.com/

Through 1 November 2018, all of their courses are 40% off when you enter the code 4LAUNCH on the checkout page.

Note that you will not have anything shipped to you. You are paying for the opportunity to log in to your account at their website and listen at any time to the streaming version of any courses you have "purchased" there. It is not yet clear to me whether it is possible to actually download any of the sound files for permanent storage on my hard drive. There is also a Michel Thomas app for mobile phones that I have not downloaded. I assume that if I do, it will know which courses I have paid for (once I log in to my account) and will make only those courses available to me for streaming on my phone.

This is not an endorsement of the Michel Thomas method. I have never used any of their courses. The one I just bought was my first. It is even cheaper than the price (US $82) for the previous (2007) generation of Michel Thomas "Foundation" courses now available on iTunes (in the U.S., at least).

The Terms and Conditions state that the publisher can essentially cancel my access to the courses I have paid for at any time for any reason without reimbursing me. I wonder how many years of access my US $60 has bought for me. One? Ten? Lifetime? It's anyone's guess. I'm glad not to have to deal with physical CDs anymore, but there is a downside to streaming-only formats: You are at the risk of the publisher's whims.

[Minor edits for clarity: article, conjunction, specified US dollars]
Last edited by Zegpoddle on Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
4 x
Graciously begging our alien overlords to remember to refresh the batteries regularly in their toddler’s cosmic Game Boy on which the simulation that is my life is running ;)

Santa
Languages: English, Latvian, Russian, French

Postby Santa » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:50 pm

Hello! I just started French course (1 to 1 lessons) with ---REDACTED--. I would like know more about experiences in studding languages online.
0 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:28 pm

The monthly online audio-magazines “Think French” and “Think Spanish” are presently available at a 50% reduction from the regular price. This offer includes access to the previous year’s issues: 24 issues for 79 $US. The difficulty of the articles ranges from roughly A2 to B1.

Think French and Think Spanish.JPG

Think French
http://www.thinklanguage.com/french/supersale

Think Spanish
http://www.thinklanguage.com/spanish/join-now/special-sale

Think Language audio magazines (French, Spanish, Italian) -- LLORG -- October, 2016
https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4784

EDITED:
Addition of the link to the "Think Language audio magazines (French, Spanish, Italian)" discussion thread. Avec remerciements à Arthaey! 8-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:22 pm

Speakeasy's Final Repetitive Pimsleur Announcement:
We’re all capable of subscribing to Pimsleur’s marketing announcements, right? So then, this will be my FINAL advice concerning Simon & Schuster’s recurring offers to sell their “Premium” French, German, Italian, Spanish, and Russian courses at a 50% price reduction. This offer is open to “Valued Customers” which I understand to mean “previous/returning” customers. If you do not fall into this category and if you wish to avail yourself of this exceptional opportunity, then I suggest that you send them an Email as follows:

“Hey, you guys! Check your sales records. Speakeasy already has all of the products that you’re offering to sale to him at these admittedly very attractive reduced prices and, while he isn’t the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, he certainly isn’t going to purchase a second copy of them. So then, plug my name into his slot as a “valued customer” and allow me to profit from this opportunity. In that way, I just might become a returning customer and purchase even more courses the next time you make this type of offer.

PS: Speakeasy said this was okay with him. Oh, ya, he said that he won’t be making any more announcements on the Language Learners’ Forum concerning your sales because (1) he is just as weary as the rest of us are with his announcements, and (2) he suspects -- and rightly so -- that no one reads his posts.”
Speakeasy's Last Pimsleur Sale Announcement.JPG
5 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:02 pm

Unusual Collection of Used Language-Learning Materials – eBayUK
As only a few members of this forum share my interest in older language-learning materials and, in any case, as all of us are all quite capable of trolling eBay in search of bargains, it is quite understandable that there are no posts under the “Language Programs – Offers, Sales and Discounts” thread referring to a specific offer on eBay or to a general collection of offers. Nevertheless, there is a collection on eBay.UK which, in my view, is worth mentioning:

eBay Seller: Sleat Community Trust on the Isle of Skye (mjmandmkm)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/mjmandmkm/m.html?item=283246793717&hash=item41f2d313f5%3Ag%3AiQ4AAOSwXbFb4X5t%3Ark%3A2%3Apf%3A0&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

I showed my dear wife the “Teach Yourself – Megapack of around 70 books” offer and she dared me to enter my order. Really, I can’t imagine what has come over her!

Teach Yourself.jpg

Enter.jpg
6 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:46 pm

https://www.aldi.com.au/en/special-buys ... age-cours/

I don’t know if this is a good price: AUD24.99 Michel Thomas Total French/Spanish/Italian/German
at Aldi.
I saw them in Westfield Aldi, Chatswood, NSW, Australia today Sunday.
0 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:36 am

Speakeasy wrote:I showed my dear wife the “Teach Yourself – Megapack of around 70 books” offer and she dared me to enter my order. Really, I can’t imagine what has come over her!

Well, I entered my bid. Twice. Shot down twice. :(
0 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:26 am

IronMike wrote: Well, I entered my bid. Twice. Shot down twice. :(
I hate it when sellers set an artificially low price with a view to enticing prospective buyers into making bids based on their apparent, but unrealistic, minimum price. If you really want these materials, you could ask the seller what their "genuine, lowest price" is and then decide whether or not you want to buy the bundle. Only 14 hours left!
0 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”