Signing Out Quickly

Discuss technical problems and features here
eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Re: strange

Postby eido » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:04 am

This has been happening to me too - I mentioned it in the post I made about logging out. I'll sign out and then it'll say I'm still signed in, browsing the forum.
0 x

renaissancemedici
Orange Belt
Languages: Greek (N), English (C2), French (B2), Italian (A2), German (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 25#p100832

Re: strange

Postby renaissancemedici » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:50 am

I meant the green online sign over my username. I had to log in and out twice to make it go away.
1 x
I use Assimil right now as a starting point, but at the same time I am building the foundation for further studies of German.

Assimil German with ease: 8 / 100

Speakeasy

Re: strange and strangiousier

Postby Speakeasy » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:55 pm

Since the restoration of access to the LLORG, I have been experiencing three recurring problems:

1. Logged in, Not logged in?
As reported above by others, having logged off, the "Login" toggle in the upper-right-hand corner correctly shows that I am not logged in. Nevertheless, when I open a discussion thread wherein one of posts appears, my Username displays GREEN indicator suggesting that I am, in fact, logged in.

2. EDIT Function
When I attempt to EDIT one of my existing posts, the post opens correctly and permits me to make the changes. However, when I click on SUBMIT, the LOGIN window opens and all of my attempts at exiting that window are refused. So then, I login once again; however, upon returning to my post, the changes that I made under the Edit function have disappeared.

3. Attachments
The ATTACHMENT function, either with new posts, or in the Edit function, permits me to attach documents. However, when I click on SUBMIT, the LOGIN window opens and all of my attempts at exiting that window are refused. So then, I login once again; however, upon returning to my post, the attachments disappeared.

A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words?
I made Screen Captures of the above problems. However, owing to problem number "3" above, I cannot attach them.
0 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Re: strange and strangiousier

Postby Iversen » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:27 pm

Speakeasy wrote:1. Logged in, Not logged in?
2. EDIT Function
3. Attachments

My only problem has been the short time you can stay logged in - especially if you are writing or editing something. The other problems mentioned by Speakeasy all seem to be consequences of the drastically lowered time limit.

I always attach images with the attachment-add mechanism. If I have been logged out I can seemingly add images, but I don't see the inline button. However I then can save the situation by logging in from another open tab, remove the image and add it again. If I attempt to submit prematurely and see the login screen then I can in principle use ALT LEFT to get back, but in at least once I have seen my changes disappear in that situation. Therefore I check my current status using the other tab I have open. I have kept the light blue theme from the early days of the forum, but if I am logged out it has either already changed to the default light gray theme or it does so when I refresh with F5.

And yes, I was actually logged out while I wrote the lines above - even though I wrote as fast as I can. It may not be immediately obvious why the time limit has dropped to almost zilch, but I hope there is a cure. Using the "remember me" is just a workaround and especially new users may not be alert to the relevance of it, so we risk losing them after their first visit if they conclude that the forum is buggy. And personally I am wary about storing any passwords anywhere so that option will be my last choice - then rather keep logging in again and again before any save operation.

At least it has become easier to login - so far no questions.

PS: Others may have noticed that if you are presented with the login screen and enter your data then the next edit window will be empty. But to my relief I have found out that I have now found out that the lost content reappears after two times ALT+LEFT. That makes the situation less complicated. ... PS I just had to use this procedure to rescue the preceding sentence !
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Signing Out Quickly

Postby rdearman » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:26 pm

I remembered that we had a similar problem long ago back in 2015 after some changes to the domain. It seems there is some madness in PhpBB or webbrowsers or both which cause a problem with logins. The previous issue with logouts before completing posts appeared to be down to people having a 'cached' cookie in your web browser and a new cookie also cached. The browser and the webserver basically confused each other. The fix for this was:

1) log out of the forum.
2) clear your browser cache and all cookies for this site.
3) log back in and tick the "remember me" option

If this doesn't work, try one additional step between 1 and 2 of rebooting your router to get a new IP address (most people are on dynamic IP addresses)

Let me know how you get on.
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...

Postby Iversen » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:04 am

The only of those things I haven't done is to let the thing remember my password...
0 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:38 am

I just went back to the place in my Firefox where I can empty the cache (Ξ, Advanced, Network, clear cache now) ... and lo and behold, it had NOT been cleared. I don't know why it didn't happen when I last visited that hidden place in the system (maybe I saw the button and forgot to press it - stranger things have happened), but now it is done, and it seems that it has solved the problem with the short attention span of the forum. There is still some kind of time limit, but not one that would be around a minute of so.

So rDearman was right (as usual)...
1 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:55 am

I cannot fix this problem :evil:
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:41 am

PeterMollenburg wrote:I cannot fix this problem :evil:

Do you have the same problem if you use a different browser? E.g. if you normally use Chrome, try Firefox. If the problem doesn't occur in the other browser then it is probably your cache and you need to clear it.
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:53 am

rdearman wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:I cannot fix this problem :evil:

Do you have the same problem if you use a different browser? E.g. if you normally use Chrome, try Firefox. If the problem doesn't occur in the other browser then it is probably your cache and you need to clear it.

Lately just been using my iphone. I cleared cookies/history, turned off another cookie setting which deleted more ‘stuff’, turned wifi off, shut phone down, same problem. Is this how I clear the ‘cache’ of Safari on an iphone? (tnx for your reply too, btw ;) )
0 x

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”