"SGP's" gradually learning some languages log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
SGP
Blue Belt
Languages: DE (native), EN (C2), ES (B2), FR (B2); some more at various levels
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 30#p120230

Re: Introduction & 13 languages (reading/writing) log & language exchange offer [PT IT RO FR ES SV NO DA SWA JP EO NL AF

Postby SGP » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:41 pm

Thank you for the welcome Skynet.

You have quite the busy list there! I am extremely envious! :mrgreen: I was actually about to ask why you did not have German listed, until I saw that it was your native language. :lol: I really am at a loss of words: this is an outstanding feat!

Well... you know... I do share your passion for languages. Just wanted to mention a little thing at this point: Somebody gotta stay humble, so... you know... praise, and especially a not-so-small one like this one... wouldn't... be necessary. ;) This man simply is grateful for what he could say that it has been given to him. What I just said, I do mean it. But no offense intended of course, not the slightest one.

You would learn a language based on someone else's suggestion on top of the 13 languages you're already studying? Where do you find the time for all of this!?

Well... the way this person (even if it has been a looong time since I was a child, I sometimes simply feeling like speaking of myself in the third person. :lol: ) does it, it is taking far, far less time than it seems. Not at all studying all of them at the same time. Not at all aiming for Fully Advanced Mastery of any of them.

Also, the main focus is on reading and writing for now. I currently only can use some of them in a (spoken) conversation. And even for those, the speaking ability is severely lagging behind the writing ability, and that one is lagging behind the reading skill. So... it really isn't as much as it may seem. And in order not to create a somewhat false impression maybe, I stated that it is mainly about reading and writing in my list. Also, if you would like to know some more details, they have been mentioned in a previous reply in this thread. This would be the direct link (although it is a bit long-ish) : https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?p=120611#p120287
1 x
Previously known as SGP. But my mental username now is langmon.

Log

SGP
Blue Belt

Re: Introduction & 13 languages (reading/writing) log & language exchange offer [PT IT RO FR ES SV NO DA SWA JP EO NL AF

Postby SGP » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:33 am

There was a short but interesting conversation with someone about Norsk, Svenska and Dansk (Norwegian, Swedish and Danish). I was curious about the degree of mutual intellegibility, about the possibility of anyone in one of those countries talking to someone from another. As it is known, those three languages (or three different variations of the same one) are closely related. Still, there are some differences, too.

And the result of that conversation was that while they are similar, in some cases at least communication cannot be fully compared to two persons speaking in German and Dutch to each other. Because these two are more similar in certain aspects. But even in the case of Deutsch and Nederlands, there are some "false friends". Words that sound similar, but are used for different meanings.
0 x

Log

SGP
Blue Belt

Postby SGP » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:51 pm

[ES] Related to the regular verbs, at least: There is a certain pattern for the "yo" and "él/ella/usted" forms. Sometimes they are different. But in other cases, they are the very same. As in: "(yo) estaba" and "(él/ella/usted) estaba", or "(yo) quisiera" and "(él/ella/usted) quisiera)".

As surprisingly as it may seem: the presence of this "twins" pattern can also make remembering them easier, not harder. This is because those two twins like being together. This means: the very same combination ("yo" being in accordance with "él/ella/usted") applies to several tenses. But at least as far as I know, there is no case of [regular, at least] verbs having the same "yo" and "tú" form, or "tú" and "él"... you get the picture.
1 x

Log

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Languages: Afrikaans (N), English (N)
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:18 pm

SGP wrote:[ES] Related to the regular verbs, at least: There is a certain pattern for the "yo" and "él/ella/usted" forms. Sometimes they are different. But in other cases, they are the very same. As in: "(yo) estaba" and "(él/ella/usted) estaba", or "(yo) quisiera" and "(él/ella/usted) quisiera)".

As surprisingly as it may seem: the presence of this "twins" pattern can also make remembering them easier, not harder. This is because those two twins like being together. This means: the very same combination ("yo" being in accordance with "él/ella/usted") applies to several tenses. But at least as far as I know, there is no case of [regular, at least] verbs having the same "yo" and "tú" form, or "tú" and "él"... you get the picture.

Hijacking your log!!Another set of twins is the Nosotros and Vosotros forms. (if you are a mad man like me who likes Spain Spanish :P )

They always have the same root, regardless of the tense or whether the verb is irregular or not:

Yo como
Nosotros comemos
Vosotros coméis

Yo salgo
Nosotros salimos
Vosotros salís

Yo Estuve
Nosotros Estuvimos
Vosotros Estuvisteis

This means the stress also always falls on the same syllable

Yo Cambiara
Nosotros Cambramos
Vosotros Cambiarais

Yo hablaba
Nosotros Hablábamos
Vosotros Hablabais

Pretty cool if you ask me :D
2 x

SGP
Blue Belt

Postby SGP » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:31 pm

Jaleel10 wrote:Hijacking your log!!Another set of twins is the Nosotros and Vosotros forms. (if you are a mad man like me who likes Spain Spanish :P )

Well... not a mad man, not even in the But I Used An Emoticon way ;) .
Other than that, loving both Castillian and Latino Spanish.
I even go as far as considering "vosotros" a part of both of them, even if it is mainly used in the very home town ;) of Spanish.

And it is always interesting to learn about other discoveries of verb patterns.
1 x

Log

SGP
Blue Belt

Postby SGP » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:36 pm

[FR] These Verb Twins do not live in Spain and Latin America only. They also populate every French speaking country, including France itself. But in this case, they are called "je" and "tu". So for some tenses, the forms for these two are the very same. Again, this is about regular verbs (haven't verified whether the irregular ones tend to be Verb Twins too or not).
0 x

Log

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Languages: Afrikaans (N), English (N)
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:42 pm

SGP wrote:Other than that, loving both Castillian and Latino Spanish.
I even go as far as considering "vosotros" a part of both of them, even if it is mainly used in the very home town ;) of Spanish.

Yeah. It's like what I said to my friend the other day. 'Es el mismo idioma, no importa dónde se hable. Voy a hablarlo como a mí me apetezca' because they usually get mad me for mixing in slang from various countries and using El voseo xD

And it is always interesting to learn about other discoveries of verb patterns.

Yeah, Spanish for the most part is a very logical language in my opinion.
1 x

SGP
Blue Belt

Postby SGP » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:51 pm

Jaleel10 wrote:Yeah. It's like what I said to my friend the other day. 'Es el mismo idioma, no importa dónde se hable. Voy a hablarlo como a mí me apetezca' because they usually get mad me for mixing in slang from various countries and using El voseo xD

Could you elaborate a bit why dem nah like it dat way? Wit'out iny shade of doubt, me nah aks [yes really aks, not ask in this case] you 'bout dem names :lol: But someone wan fi undastand dem reason.

Jaleel10 wrote: Yeah, Spanish for the most part is a very logical language in my opinion.

Yes man da's de way it is. There even be some logic where one wouldn't expect it. Why dem seh "el agua" but "las aguas"? Because they want to avoid the a-a sound. Not too far from "an apple" in English.
1 x

Log

SGP
Blue Belt

Postby SGP » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:10 pm

[JP] [SWA] [EO] These languages use building blocks. A single word can consist of two or more of those. Or in a more techy way: they are agglutinative. So several syllables are being glued together in order to make one expression that contains several pieces of information.

Well-known Japanese example: Soo desu-ka? (Is it so? / Is it like this?)

JP speakers: The u of "desu" in this sentence is usually not pronounced. But is there any situation where you do pronounce it?

Swahili: unasoma (you read; you study)

Esperanto: malbela. This is the opposite of beautiful, which is bela. So mal- reverses the meaning.

What's interesting about agglutination (= those building blocks) is that they do not differ that much from isolating languages. Like Chinese. It uses several separate words instead of a single one containing multiple information pieces.

But both approaches have a rather similar result. So in a certain way, the difference is about:
- A short pause of speech between those parts (Chinese), or not pausing when saying a "building blocks" word (Japanese, Swahili, Esperanto)
- Writing a whitespace (" ") between two parts (Chinese using the Latin alphabet, like Pinyin), or not doing so when it comes to one of those "construction kit" words (Japanese, Swahili, Esperanto).
0 x

Log

SGP
Blue Belt

This Message Is Not Spam

Postby SGP » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:54 pm

This Message Is Not Spam

(SCNR :lol: :roll: :lol: )

SGP has recently done some language cooking.
Not about cooking food from different countries.
But something else.
But not telling right now.

For those of you who initially were hoping that This Message Truly Is Not Spam, do you still think so?
But it really isn't. The reason for those semi-confusing and not-entirely-non-bizarre lines is: I'd like to log that some new progress was possible (related to languages in general, not to those on my list in particular). However, I still need to flesh it out a bit. After doing so, I plan to post an update containing the very result of that Language Cooking that has been done.

And now for another Spanish pattern ;) .

[ES] The indicative imperfect forms of "comer" and "vivir" for both "yo" and "él/ella/usted" are comía and vivía.

But for estar, for example, being an -ar verb, is it something like estáa? No, it isn't. But it is estaba. Here, again, something is being done in order to prevent the a-a sound. So a certain letter, the "b", is being put between those two vowels.
0 x

Log

Return to “Language logs”