We're back online!

Discuss technical problems and features here
patrickwilken
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2+), Spanish (A1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8886

Re: We're back online!

Postby patrickwilken » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:07 pm

Thanks Eric, for all the hard work! Really very much appreciated.

BTW: I tried tor respond to this post a couple of hours ago and got a 503 error and wasn't able to log back in for a while. I don't know if that means much or not.
0 x

German Spanish
1500 Movies : 1389 / 1500100 Movies : 4 / 100
50000 Pages : 41089 / 500005000 Pages : 0 / 5000

All goals to be completed by 31.12.19.

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Postby emk » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:07 pm

Yeah, the 503 error means that the load balancer was running, but it couldn't connect to the back end server. This is a normal thing that happens if we're redeploying or restarting the forum, which I did once shortly after making my post. But please let me know if you see this happening on any kind of regular basis.
0 x

Mooby
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Polish, German, Turkish

Postby Mooby » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:35 pm

emk wrote:For the geeks in the audience, you can...................

So that's pretty much all us then !
0 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:41 pm

Mooby wrote:
emk wrote:For the geeks in the audience, you can...................

So that's pretty much all us then !
Not really :D I'm pretty sure we have members who aren't language geeks nor geeks in general :D
2 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Postby Carmody » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:36 pm

I'm going to cough up another $21/month (in addition to the $40/month it costs me)
I have said this on many occasions before but it remains a mystery to me why the financial burden of this magnificent forum has to rest on the shoulders of just one or two persons. Surely a financial arrangement can be set up so we can all contribute to the effort and so lighten the load of emk.
5 x

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Languages: English (n)
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:45 pm

Wow, thank you for dealing with all that.

I've only been using this forum for a few months, but I really felt the absence.
0 x
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

rdearman
Site Admin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:57 pm

Carmody wrote:
I'm going to cough up another $21/month (in addition to the $40/month it costs me)
I have said this on many occasions before but it remains a mystery to me why the financial burden of this magnificent forum has to rest on the shoulders of just one or two persons. Surely a financial arrangement can be set up so we can all contribute to the effort and so lighten the load of emk.

Perhaps I can explain. Basically when HTLAL went down for the bazillionant time I volunteered to host PHPBB on my server as an interim solution until HTLAL came back to life. Now this wasn't a real problem for me since I was already paying the hosting costs for another website of mine. There were a number of issues with the hosting company I was using at the time. One of the primary ones being the very poor MySQL database support and access. We kept having DB access issues. Eventually we got them resolved after about 6 months and everything was fine and I just continued to pay since I was already paying.

Then we got hacked. Or more accurately the hosting companies server got hacked and all the accounts on it were compromised. They injected some malware into the PHP codebase. So as an emergency measure EMK & I took down the old site, and he ran up a new server on this Amazon account. It is still running on his Amazon account. Like myself EMK wasn't all that bothered about paying for the hosting since like me, he was already paying for some Amazon hosting services and it wasn't a huge burden. However, over time the cost of the service has inched up as we've had to add more features (like the recent certification issue described here) and more database space taken, etc..

All of the moderators have discussed how to share the burden of costs, or give members the ability to pay, but the problem comes down to taxation. If you were to give me money, or EMK, to run the site then it is income. And income is taxable. In both the UK and the USA the burden of filing all the tax forms and associated bureaucratic crap made both of us loath to ask for donations.

We have discussed in the past the creation of a charitable organisation which would allow members to contribute donations, and wouldn't be a tax burden on a single individual. This course of action is being actively pursued by the moderation team and we hope in the not too distant future we'll be an established charitable organisation to promote the use and learning of languages. There are obviously a huge number of forms, applications and bureaucratic loops to jump through before the government will recognise a charity that can take money and operate as an independent body. It also means that unlike HTLAL the community would never be dependant on a single individual or account and that it will have a board of trustees to govern the use of the money, and government oversite to ensure any money donated to the charity is used by the charity for its stated purpose.

I know people are concerned about this, and I know many people want to contribute to the forum. We're working hard to lift the burden from EMK financially and of course to ensure the future operation of this site. We don't yet have any idea how long this process will take but rest assured that it has started.
15 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:53 pm

What language is emk's post in? Some weird Chinese dialect? :-D

Now seriously. Thanks for keeping this forum going and for fixing the issue so fast! You are awesome!!!
1 x

issemiyaki
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N); Spanish (Fluent); French (Fluent); Russian (hoping to reach fluency his year!)

Postby issemiyaki » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:31 pm

EMK thanks for all your hard work in maintaining the site. You're the best!
0 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Postby Carmody » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:35 am

rdearman re monetary donations...
And income is taxable. In both the UK and the USA the burden of filing all the tax forms and associated bureaucratic crap made both of us loath to ask for donations.
Ok if that is a problem, what about gifts of stuff that emk could use. Like he could set up a list of items on Amazon that he and his family could use, and then on a regular basis we could purchase those items and have them sent to him on an ongoing basis.

I am talking about gifts in kind:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gifts_in_kind
1 x

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”