Izumi's Language Log (Korean, Japanese & maybe French)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
PandaIzumi
Languages: English (N), Korean (A2), Japanese (beginner), French (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9241

Izumi's Language Log (Korean, Japanese & maybe French)

Postby PandaIzumi » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:17 pm

Hi everyone! I'm still new around here but I've decided to make my own little log to hopefully hold myself more accountable.

Some background info:
My interest in learning languages started around the time I was entering high school. When I choosing classes everyone talked about how foreign languages looked good on you transcript for college and such, so I ended up choosing French, despite my mom suggesting Spanish.

I took French 1 and 2 in highschool, but didn't continue further since I wanted to try other electives, mostly art related (ceramics, and fashion production).

High school was also a time were Japanese media was becoming popular so it soon became another language that I had interest in bit not too seriously yet. I also developed a budding interest in Korean when one day, my mom brought home a floppy little Korean-English dictionary that I found myself curiously flipping through from time to time.

It wasn't until my second semester of college, that I had the chance to take a Japanese class. Unfortunately, the next semester I changed my major from a general degree to a computer science one, so taking another Japanese class was out of the question as far as student financial aid was concerned. So, if I wanted to do anymore language study I was pretty much on my own.

This was around 2008/2009 so I wasn't very internet savvy as I am now to finding resources online to study with was difficult for me.

I just spent the next 4 or so years rping in anime fandoms until I was introduced to KPop in late 2011/early 2012, which sparked my interest in Korean again.

It wasn't until 2015 that I actually first attempted self-studying Korean using TTMIK. I went through Level 4 before I stopped. While I was good for grammar, I didn't have much vocabulary to work with and it was a bit demotivating. So Korean was shelved for a bit. I looked up various textbooks online/aquired some pdfs here and there and when I got my first job in 2016, I bought my first Korean textbooks and a subscription to KoreanClass101. Since then I've pretty much been on again off again with my studies... :oops:

Languages
Korean - I'm pretty much a false beginner. Truthfully, I'm at more of an A2/pre-intermediate level. I've finished my beginner textbook and started the intermediate one. And I've had long conversations with native speakers (through text) on various language exchange apps. I had also finished all of the Beginner seasons at KClass101. Recently, I've started my beginner textbook from scratch to review what I previously learned.

My resources of choice:
College Korean, Intermediate College Korean, Modern Korean: An Intermediate Reader and KoreanClass101 for listening purposes and extra grammar study.

Japanese - I'm also a false beginner here as well, though I can't say I'm anywhere near close to where I am with Korean. Probably A1. I self-studied a bit with minna no nihongo but i admit that i burned myself out. I'm considering holding off on Japanese and waiting until my Korean is better. Then I'll ladder the languages using Korean to learn Japanese.

My resources of choice:
Japanese For Everyone and JapanesePod101 for more listening practice. I also own a book called Reading Japanese that teaches Kanji and is basically a reader.

French - Honestly I haven't touched this language since highschool and I really don't know where to start as far as self-study goes. I do want to pick it up again at some point though.

That's pretty much it for now. I should actually get back to studying.
6 x
Korean
College Korean: 26 / 26
KoreanClass101 Beginner S3: 25 / 25
연세 한국어 읽기 1: 5 / 40
KTAL 1: 7 / 59

PandaIzumi

Re: Izumi's Language Log (Korean, Japanese & maybe French)

Postby PandaIzumi » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:58 am

I studied Korean for three hours today. One of the hours consisted of me doing two Goldlist distillations and making a new Headlist. This puts me so far at 325 lines of vocabulary.

The other two hours were spent review chapter 14 of College Korean. I found that while I still understood most of the grammar, I had forgotten most to the vocabulary. The chapter's subject was about South Korea's weather and climate so it makes sense that I wouldn't remember words like 'monsoon' or 'typhoon' as I don't personally need those words where I live. Though I should probably look up the word 'hurricane'. Other than vocabulary, the chapter was pretty easy.

I've been on a pace of a chapter a day or every two days since it's just review. After I finish with College Korean, I start listening to some of KoreanClass101's Advanced Audio Blogs since the earlier ones appear to be more intermediate than advanced.

While I was reviewing, I listened to a livestream of a Korean watercolor artist I like watching from time to time. I only understood a few words here and there but I wasn't actively listening and my art vocabulary is limited to 'I drew/painted a picture' and 'I'd like to create a comic/webtoon one day' at the moment. :lol: I'll get all those words back soon. Hopefully...

I also need to put my Sims 3 game back into Korean, but I'm not looking forward to the long download time. :(
2 x
Korean

PandaIzumi

Postby PandaIzumi » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:17 pm

Yesterday, I took a break from studying and just watched some drawing videos. I also managed to change my language settings back to Korean for The Sims 3. Thankfully Steam didn't make me redownload it. I'm a bit disappointed that there Korean isn't available or Skyrim though. I'm a little nervous to play The Sims again in Korean because I know I'm going to struggle with it, but at the same time I'll mostly likely learn some useful everyday-type vocabulary.

Today, I finished re-listening to KoreanClass101 Beginner Season 2. Now I just need to take the lessons through audacity and separate the dialogues since I only had a basic subscription. I don't think I'll do any more studying today unless I count The Sims.
0 x
Korean

PandaIzumi

Postby PandaIzumi » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:49 pm

ロータス wrote:You can download just the dialogs with a new free account.

I actually had already thought about this option, but I don't have access to the internet at home aside from my phone. So trying to set up a new account via mobile and then download the dialogs is more trouble for me than the minute or two of just using audacity for each one, since the dialogs are all right at the end of each lesson anyway.
0 x
Korean

Return to “Language logs”