Morgana's Swedish log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Morgana
Blue Belt
Languages: en (n); sv (int)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9665

---

Postby Morgana » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:48 am

---
Last edited by Morgana on Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

tiia
Green Belt
Languages: German (N), English (?), Finnish (~B2), Spanish (B1), Swedish (A1?)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=2374

Re: Morgana's Swedish & Icelandic log

Postby tiia » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:06 pm

Morgana wrote:I think I'm going to blame tiia for laying out the logic one page back ;)

I think I can handle being blamed for that. :D
1 x
Corrections for entries written in Finnish, Spanish or Swedish are welcome.
Project 30before30: 22 / 30

Morgana
Blue Belt

---

Postby Morgana » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:52 am

---
5 x

Izabela
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Esperanto (A language I often think in).
Spanish, Portuguese, French (Some ability to read in)
Italian and Dutch (rather beginner-ish)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9014

Postby Izabela » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:26 pm

Morgana wrote:I think there is value in working on what you want to work on right now, instead of some day. I also know there are only 24 hours in a day and maybe I want too much. (I want it all and I want it now.)

I like to think I've learned patience over time, but I know that feeling. I've tried as much as possible to take enjoyment in the process of getting along the way to what you want and console myself that now is going to be later, so make this now a step along the way to the end goal.
1 x

Morgana
Blue Belt

---

Postby Morgana » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:04 am

---
0 x

StringerBell
Blue Belt
Languages: English (n)
Italian: ~ C1 reading/listening and ? speaking
Polish : ~ B1

Postby StringerBell » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:58 pm

Morgana wrote: I still have moments (more like days/weeks :oops: ) where I am living in the future or loading too much "enjoyment" onto my plate as if I'm racing to some end. It is a process.

This reminds me of something I heard on an Italiano Automatico podcast. Alberto was discussing that language learning is like hiking to the top of a really high mountain, in that we tend to be hyper focused on the goal - reaching the top with the beautiful vista - so we don't really enjoy the hike on the way up. But after we get to the top, it's cool for a few minutes, but then that's it. It's done. So instead, it's better to take our time while we're hiking up (i.e. while learning a language) and enjoy the process of getting there, rather than seeing it as work to get through. When I start getting frustrated that I'm not reaching that summit quick enough, I remind myself to slow down and just enjoy where I am.

Morgana wrote:Not much to say about Swedish. Reading, listening, Anki. Didn't have time for chorusing today. I've been thinking about time tracking especially since putting the pressure on with Swedish, and how I don't really like to track my hours. I need some kind of accountability system, because without it I slack right off, start doing bare minimums each day like only doing Anki reviews, or do nothing at all. Weeks pass, I wonder why the heck I feel so stuck. But maybe once these 1000 Swedish hours are done I can switch to a system that holds me accountable but doesn’t demand every last minute be tracked and logged on a spreadsheet. Tracking as I do has and does prevent(ed) me from doing things spontaneously. It creates this artificial division between my Swedish (or any TL) time and the rest of my time. It'd be nice to feel free to turn to Swedish when I have only a few minutes to spare, or when I'm distracted by something else but want to have something going in the background, etc.

So my current idea is come January first I'm going to hang one of those big year-long calendars up on my wall above my desk and do the Seinfeld calendar thing (a bit more info here too), regardless of where I’m at with those 1000 hours (hopefully nearly done). No more spreadsheet. Just an X on the calendar if I get X minutes done each day.

I don't know. It's an idea.

This sounds like a great idea! I use the timer on my phone and start/stop it to track Polish. I don't reset the timer at all until I've reached my goal for the day, so it's easy to do 10-20 minutes here and there if needed.

I don't track time with Italian at all, but I do find that having some kind of goal (now it's my speaking and reading articles challenges) is really important for me in terms of being accountable. I keep a calendar on the fridge where everyday I write down how much time I spent speaking Italian. Many days, I really didn't want to do it, but knowing I'd have to write a big, fat zero for that day made me motivated to speak even though it might have been 9pm and the last thing I really wanted to do. So I think your calendar has a great chance of success!
2 x
Polish goal: 1,850 hours : 1493 / 1850
Italian goal: transcribe 10 episodes of Lucifer : 1 / 10

Morgana
Blue Belt

---

Postby Morgana » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:50 am

---
Last edited by Morgana on Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

MamaPata
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Russian (B1), Spanish (A2).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:24 am

Morgana wrote:Chorusing, meh. I'm so done with trying to make myself speak because other people think that's something people should do when they learn a language. Why do I keep losing sight of the things I want? Why do I let other people's ideas about language learning make me feel like I'm doing it wrong....

All of this! It's so easy to look at other people's choices and try and force yourself to do something unnatural for you, because people with experience recommend it.

This forum often puts a big emphasis on pronunciation, which is obviously great and has many benefits. So I keep thinking that maybe I ought to iron out my errors, do some focused work etc. But I hate pronunciation work and I have no interest in having a "perfect" accent. And so the circle goes round!
2 x
Corrections appreciated.

zjones
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1 certified)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9860

Postby zjones » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:37 pm

Morgana wrote:Chorusing, meh. I'm so done with trying to make myself speak because other people think that's something people should do when they learn a language. Why do I keep losing sight of the things I want? Why do I let other people's ideas about language learning make me feel like I'm doing it wrong...

I'm with MamaPata, this sentiment is so relatable! It took me forever to let go of the guilty feeling that I should be using Anki, SRS and flashcard systems, even though I really don't like doing them. Remember that language-learning is very holistic, so you can often find different ways to get the same results... or even decide to stop worrying about those results in the first place! Don't let a random method of language-learning stop you from having a great time with your languages.

So, what do you want to do instead? Are you interested in becoming conversational? Improving your pronunciation? Do you care about speaking just because other people tell you that's what languages are for? You don't need to answer those questions, but think about them. :)
1 x

Morgana
Blue Belt

---

Postby Morgana » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:34 pm

---
Last edited by Morgana on Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6 x

Return to “Language logs”