Rachel's Morning and Evening Language Log (Korean, Mandarin, Classical Chinese)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
RachelMeier
Yellow Belt
Languages: Currently Studying: Korean (Intermediate) KSL (Beginner) Mandarin (Beginner) Danish (Beginner) Classical Chinese (On Hold)

Interested in: Mongolian, Finnish, Turkish, Russian.

Previously Studied: Latin, German, Spanish, Italian, Japanese, Turkish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... p?p=165080

Morning September 15, 2018

Postby RachelMeier » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:31 pm

Well guys, I haven’t logged for a week because it has literally been the worst week... nothing life and death, but just a pile of other stuff. I spilled coffee on my work laptop and wrecked it, so I’ve had to work from my personal laptop which barely has what I need. My work sunbae had her last week this week. And a bunch of other stuff is going on. I’ve barely had time to study.

Classical Chinese

-five 2nd distillations yesterday to catch up and 2 this morning. Now I’m done with 2nd distillations for now and moving into 3rd distillations

Mandarin

-2 review sessions Hello Chinese
-Rise of the Phoenixes posted yesterday on Netflix and I watch the first 5 episodes lol. I knew from the moment I saw the teaser images I’d be into this drama, hope it keeps up the quality, I love listening to the actor’s actual voices, so refreshing for a historical drama

Korean

-4 pages Nirvana in Fire. Finished a chapter.
-One daily Korean conversation
-Anki session

Life was finally posted on Netflix so I watched the first 2 episodes. Hopefully more today. I could punch whoever did the soundtrack tho, it’s super overdone and overdramatic. Acting is amazing of course, Jo Seung Woo and Lee Dong Wook and the rest of the supporting cast don’t disappoint.

Goals for the rest of the day:

- 6 pages Nirvana in Fire
-5.16 Pimsleur Mandarin
-2 headlists
-transfer leeched words from my Korean Anki deck to my vocab diary
-2x20 min sessions of StickyStudy Hanzi
4 x

RachelMeier
Yellow Belt
Languages: Currently Studying: Korean (Intermediate) KSL (Beginner) Mandarin (Beginner) Danish (Beginner) Classical Chinese (On Hold)

Evening 9/15/18

Postby RachelMeier » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:00 am

Brief update on account of my utter exhaustion. I got everything done on above list except the pimsleur lesson. Yay!
4 x

RachelMeier
Yellow Belt

Morning September 16, 2018

Postby RachelMeier » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:27 pm

Not as much done this morning as yesterday because I have to head to church.

Korean

-5 pages Nirvana in Fire
-1 anki session while watching episode 3 of Life
-Today’s a review day for “Daily Naver Conversation” so I’m gonna skip. Maybe if I’m better about doing the convos this week I’ll take the plunge and review.

Mandarin

-2 Hello Chinese sessions

Classical Chinese

-three 3rd distillations

Goals for the rest of the day:

-2xheadlist
-2x 20 min Sticky Study Hanzi session
-5.16 Pimsleur. I WILL get this done today
-5 pages Nirvana in Fire
-one more Anki sesssion

In other news, I think the Language Jam registration starts in 3 days? Is anyone else planning on doing it?
1 x

RachelMeier
Yellow Belt

Evening 9/16/18

Postby RachelMeier » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:15 am

I finished my checklist above :D and watched a bunch more episodes of Rise of the Phoenixes. Now I just need to straighten my bathroom and read 15 more pages in The Need For Roots before I finish my complete bullet list for the day....
1 x

RachelMeier
Yellow Belt

Morning Monday Sept 17 2018

Postby RachelMeier » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:50 am

QQ update. One of those mornings where you feel like pointing at things and saying “I hate this, I hate this, and this...” In other news I use private browsing and a VPN, thus must constantly solve the CAPTCHAs for this forum, and keep getting them wrong lol.

Korean

-5 pages Nirvana in Fire. Finished another chapter.

Mandarin

-1 Hello Chinese review
-Pimsleur Mandarin 5.17. This lesson is probably going to need to be done about twice more, the new terms are quite long (street stand, skewer) as are the new phrases.

Classical Chinese

Absolutely nothing done this morning but I’m hoping to get a book to add to my studies today, Poems of the Masters translated by Red Pine. I fear it does not have the pinyin (sob) but I’m still hoping to add it to my studies in some capacity. Current plan is to copy out at least 1 poem a day from it with the pinyin and the translation and mark all the characters I don’t know. Not planning on doing any reviewing or anything, just plowing through the book. I want to increase my classical/literary Chinese reading time in some way because I feel I’m not getting enough exposure from just doing the Chinese through Poetry book.
1 x

RachelMeier
Yellow Belt

Evening and Morning 9/17 and 9/18

Postby RachelMeier » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:33 pm

Korean

-Anki session
-2 pages Nirvana in Fire

Manadarin

-20 min sticky study hanzi
-1 hello Chinese session

Classical Chinese

-2 headlists
-five 3rd distillations

Must be QQ as I'm at work.
1 x

RachelMeier
Yellow Belt

Morning September 19 2018

Postby RachelMeier » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:24 pm

What a horrible few weeks it's been. It's one thing after another.

Korean

-4 pages Nirvana in Fire
-1 Daily Korean Conversation
-1 Anki session

Mandarin

-Almost done redoing Pimsleur 5.17. May not need to redo...
- 10 min Sticky Study Hanzi

Classical Chinese

Nada this morning but this was basically all I worked on last night... figuring out how I want to recopy those poems from the Poems of the Masters book etc.
0 x

RachelMeier
Yellow Belt

Morning September 21, 2018

Postby RachelMeier » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:36 pm

Korean

-2 pages in Nirvana in Fire

Mandarin

-2 Hello Chinese sessions
-Pimsleur 5.18 but I wasn't paying much attention because I was playing with my new camera while I was walking as well. Definitely a redo.

Nothing on my Classical Chinese but I'm hoping to get a lot done this weekend while I watch the next 15 episodes of Rise of the Phoenixes! Life is short and there's so much to do!
2 x

RachelMeier
Yellow Belt

Quick Update

Postby RachelMeier » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:05 am

I can’t believe it’s been over two weeks since I last updated, yikes. Mainly I just haven’t been able to keep up my studies over the past couple weeks very well due to having to work overtime. Basically every area has suffered. I’ve managed to do a very little in Mandarin every day but my Korean and Classical Chinese have been very blah.

Anyway I’m still maintaining my plan to do the Language Jam challenge next week. I’m probably going to be blogging here about it, so there will be a brief interregnum from the not-so-regularly-scheduled Korean-Chinese-Mandarin.

Some good news on the language front over the last few days, I did restart Pimsleur in earnest in the wild hope that I will be able to finish the remaining lessons before LangJam. I do only have 7 lessos left so I’m semi-optimistic. Really looking forward to finishing because once I do I’ll no longer have any restrictions on my Chinese drama watching, it will become unlimited just like my Kdramas (I have semi-complicated personal rules about tv haha). I’m currently watching Rise of the Phoenixes on Netflix, the last episodes are posted this week and I’m so excited but I feel like no one else has been watching it? Such a pity because it’s so great, like a romance version of Nirvana in Fire. Only with more plotholes but I love the characters so whatever haha. On my watching schedule once I finish up Pimsleur are Secret of the Three Kingdoms, Tribes and Empires, and Nirvana in Fire 2. Ugh so excited!

Speaking of Nirvana in Fire I’ve at last come to terms with not getting to volume 3 until next year. I’ll reset my reading schedule according but I’m pretty sad about it. If I hadn’t had such a pile of overtime to do this year (I’ve probably done at least 3 hours on 8 different weekends, and 2 weekends where I did over 8 hours) I think it would have been a different story. At least my boss is finally paying me for it. I wish I could backcharge for the rest of my time though LOL, especially that one week where I worked over 12 hours
2 x

RachelMeier
Yellow Belt

Language Jam update!

Postby RachelMeier » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:46 am

I’m so excited! I originally rolled for Macedonian and was a little...eh... but when I decided to check the second option just in case I discovered it was Tamil! Hooray! I’m printing out Tamil alphabet practice sheets now. It’s going to be so fun! I already have a good Tamil book which is unfortunately Romanized but I think I will go easy on that and maybe try to transcibe stuff into tamil script as part of my studying. I think my goal will be at least the first ten units of that book (250 words). If I do manage to learn the alphabet to an OK level I will also try to do at least the first unit of Mango’s Tamil course.

I’m having the hardest time finding good simple recordings/pronunciations, a lot of the audio for simple words available is grainy and there’s no Pimsleur course! How can I live without a Pimsleur course to start with :cry: I’m sure the resources will turn up at some point...
1 x

Return to “Language logs”