Military historian's corner - EN, HE, ZH, AR, sometimes RU, FR and DE

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Re: Military historian's corner - Hebrew and Arabic (and English also ;) )

Postby zenmonkey » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:41 pm

Could you post the data and resulting cards for one example?
0 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Postby cjareck » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:20 pm

I am not sure if this is what you wanted, but here are screenshots of filled form and front and back of a vocabulary card. It is verb conjugation so I used only one image because I should figure out the correct form from the rest of the sentence.
DATA

FRONT

BACK
There is sound played on the back side to confirm my pronunciation of the missing word.

If you wish I may send you an empty of a full deck so if you import it you will have the note of my type already working and ready for reverse engineering ;) No only you - anyone who will be interested.
2 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)

Postby cjareck » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:18 pm

I would like to inform the Readers of this blog that I completed the Lesson 23 of the FSI Hebrew Basic Course. It was one of the longest, so there is much hope that working with the next one will proceed much quicker. I already prepared audio for it, but I will wait a few days till the number of cards for review will decrease from 100 to a 50-60. I presume that it will take about two weeks.

The other good news is that I had three language exchanges with the same person. I am impressed by the idea! I can't wait till next time. We scheduled our conversation for Saturday. Last time I enjoyed it very much and hope that my language partner also liked it.

I read on this forum somewhere that on intermediate levels one can improve only after investing a considerable amount of time. I feel that my Hebrew, after a long time, finally started to advance. The ultimate goal is to be able to read books and documents, and it is, unfortunately, still far away.
4 x

cjareck
Brown Belt

Postby cjareck » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:56 pm

Hebrew
Luckily my prognosis about the number of cards for review was faulty. It already dropped below the abovementioned numbers, so I started adding vocabulary and drills from lesson 24. Since it is a shorter one, I hope to finish this activity by the end of October.

I met with one language partner regularly, and for tomorrow I scheduled the second one. I think that diversity is a good idea since in the real world one will hear various people speaking ;) By the way is this a common thing or only mine problem - I feel that my speaking abilities are far better than my understanding? The most important is that the psychological blocked for speaking Hebrew is fading away :D

Arabic
I slowly add drills from DLI lesson 7. Since this is no priority, it goes very slowly - one drill in a few days. But I will finish Volume 1 of this course this year. Probably even sooner.

Other
Short activation of Russian is ended. Now I have to practice my German since I hope to go to Vienna to hold a lecture during a scientific conference there. I probably look for some language exchange ;)
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:44 pm

I have a question which is completely unrelated to language learning. A long while ago I used wikipedia to make myself a book in a target language about some famous ancient battles. Battle of Thermopylae, Battle of Marathon, Battle of Syracuse, etc. which I found very interesting. I wondered if you could recommend some interesting battles (which I could find on wikipedia). I'm not really bothered if they are ancient, medieval or modern.
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

cjareck
Brown Belt

Postby cjareck » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:04 pm

rdearman wrote:I'm not really bothered if they are ancient, medieval or modern.

Since I am Polish and interested in the 20th Century, the list below will be a mixture of both ;)
Polish great battles:
Medieval
Battle of Grunwald 1410 - Poland, Lithuania vs Teutonic Order
17th Century
Battle of Kircholm in 1605 - Poland, Lithuania vs Sweden
Battle of Kłuszyn in 1610 - Poland, Lithuania vs Sweden and Russia

Battle of Warsaw - victory over Bolsheviks

Battle of Wizna - so-called Polish Thermopylae

Arab-Israeli Wars
Yom Kippur War 1973
Battle of the Chinese Farm - crossing Suez Canal by the Israelis
Battle of the Valley of Tears (Golan Heights)

The list is short, but from Polish battles, I chose the most interesting ones. If you wish more, just tell me ;) Especially the 17th Century. Polish-Lithuanians were strongly outnumbered, but this was not enough to stop them. During the battle of Kircholm our commander-in-chief was able - despite the abovementioned fact - to gather local advantage on one, decisive flank. This battle was a real masterpiece.

(edit)
I forgot about the Great War...
Battle of Gorlice 1915 Germans and Austro-Hungarians broke through fortified Russian front. My co-authored article about the reasons for the success in this battle will be published hopefully this month. Since it will be in English, I will gladly share a link with you.
1 x

cjareck
Brown Belt

Postby cjareck » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:30 pm

שלום!
مرحبا!
Hebrew
I may consider this week as being a fruitful one. I had two language exchanges already (I know that on the forum are people who say that 5-6 in a week are nothing ;) ). I feel the lack of words which is annoying when you are in the half of the sentence and suddenly realize that I do not know the crucial word. However, I think that this is a proof that I di not translate a sentence in my head earlier but immediately speak in the target language.

The other problem is my listening comprehension. It is clearly below my oral capabilities. I speak a lot (with many errors of course) but understand a little. However, I noticed an improvement in this field lately. There is also an interesting phenomenon - when my language partner speaks, I do not understand the words, but I just "feel" the meaning. I ask him what he said, and my premonition proves to be correct. Nevertheless, I do not trust my feelings in this matter. I have to be sure what I hear.

Arabic
Unfortunately, I have to limit myself only to reviewing existing flashcards, at least for next week. I simply have a lot of my professional work at this time. However, I am sure that I will not be able to keep Arabic aside for a long time ;)
1 x

cjareck
Brown Belt

Postby cjareck » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:03 pm

Everything went other than planned...
Hebrew
I added some new flashcards but had a problem in reviewing them, so I am still at the beginning of lesson 24. I scheduled a language exchange for Tuesday, and I can't wait. Thatis is a great thing, how could I wait so long before starting it!
I try to leave my comfort zone, which is very easy - in most times saying more than "hello" is enough ;) I asked for writing me all words that I didn't know and I put them into Anki with a great hope to use them in a next session and to thrust them into my long-term memory.
I have an interesting document to translate, but it goes slowly. I could put it into Google Translate, but I want to know what is what and to learn the vocabulary. Unfortunately the spelling there is strange, and they do not use the "sofit" ("final") letters (Hebrew has something like capital letters - some of them change the shape when they occur on the END of the word)

Arabic
I threatened to put Arabic aside, but I finished adding 7th lesson into Anki. One more and the whole 1st volume will be completed. So Arabic probably will not go aside in spite of the lack of the time.
There is also quite a lot movement in Middle East Team concerning Arabic. Perhaps we will find a way there to discuss the language issues or at least to motivate ourselves to study.

English
Here I struggle with a Problem which I noticed some time ago. I tried to solve it quickly, but it didn't work. I have to study it thoroughly and to practice it here. I do not use perfect tenses, and someone put a link to a very interesting article pointing out, how important it is to use them.
My activity on this forum gives me a lot of opportunities to practice my English. The Forum motivates me to learn English and learning English motivates me to be active on the Forum :)

Russian
Russian is on the side now. I managed to read and translate all that I needed for my scientific activities. It has to wait for the next projects involving eastern front in either of the world wars.

French
Similarly French is waiting, but perhaps I will start repeating what I know in the nearest future. I can't bring my wife to learn English. She does not like the language. But she says she could learn French (she had it in school and still remembers a little of it). So, if she will learn with me, I will gladly find some time for it.
0 x

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Languages: English (n)
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:25 pm

cjareck wrote:
English
Here I struggle with a Problem which I noticed some time ago. I tried to solve it quickly, but it didn't work. I have to study it thoroughly and to practice it here. I do not use perfect tenses, and someone put a link to a very interesting article pointing out, how important it is to use them.
My activity on this forum gives me a lot of opportunities to practice my English. The Forum motivates me to learn English and learning English motivates me to be active on the Forum :)

There are no continuous tenses in Polish, right? I have never seen them. It is really, really challenging to use concepts that don't exist in your native language (like articles, for you or case endings/verb aspects for me when it comes to Polish). I'm extremely impressed when I see a native Slavic language speaker (like you, for example) using articles correctly in English because if I weren't a native English speaker, I don't think I'd be able to use them correctly. At first not using articles in Polish felt very awkward for me but now I appreciate not having to deal with them because they really aren't that necessary after all.

Maybe you could try some continuous tense practice here on your log, like write a paragraph the way you'd normally write it, then write it again using some continuous tenses. I'd be happy to give feedback if you have any questions about what sounds right.
1 x
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

cjareck
Brown Belt

Postby cjareck » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:14 pm

StringerBell wrote:There are no continuous tenses in Polish, right?

No, we have only something like "czasownik dokonany" and "czasownik niedokonany":
https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspekt_(j ... koznawstwo)#Aspekt_w_j%C4%99zyku_polskim

You have to remember that I use Grammarly and it filters my biggest mistakes. Articles were the most common problem in the beginning.

StringerBell wrote:Maybe you could try some continuous tense practice here on your log, like write a paragraph the way you'd normally write it, then write it again using some continuous tenses. I'd be happy to give feedback if you have any questions about what sounds right.

I will be grateful for that! But please wait a little bit, this seems to be my most busy month in my life. Tomorrow I have a boring faculty council, so perhaps I will find time to read about it and maybe to practice it as you suggest ;)
1 x

Return to “Language logs”