Russian Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: French
Intermediate: English, Russian, Italian
Tourist : Breton, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, German, Spanish, Latin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Re: Russian Study Group

Postby Arnaud » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:07 pm

Haiku D'etat wrote:Hi all! I've just started Russian and I have a feeling that this attempt is going to be a serious one. I'm currently at the alphabet-pronunciation stage. I'm preparing the ground to hit up cases soon, so I'm looking for advice on how to drill them? I found with my first language-learning experience, it was useful for me to repetitively (obsessively) drill the conjugation of verbs, whilst going back and forth reviewing their actual use and meaning. I had no shortage of workbooks/exercise books to drill them with Italian, but the resources I've come across so far (including the master resource list on here) tend to be big on explanations, but short on actual opportunities to practice. Does anyone have any tips please?

Russian in Exercises : full of basic exercises, one case at a time, keys at the end for the majority of them, no explanations: you already have to know what's going on.
Чистая грамматика: same as previously, but a little more advanced. Often used by online teachers/tutors to zero in on specific difficulties of intermediate learners.
The two books treat also the verbal system: aspect, verbs of mouvement, participles, etc...
2 x

Schadenfruede
White Belt
Languages: English(N) German(upper beginner) Russian(beginner)

Postby Schadenfruede » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:25 pm

Is anyone here using intensive reading as a method? Not from the very beginning but once basic vocab is established and using new words from articles/short stories/etc to advance from that. I just want to know how grueling of a task I've set for myself as a native English speaker. It went well with German but with Cyrillic and all I'm less certain.
0 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:39 pm

Schadenfruede wrote:Is anyone here using intensive reading as a method? Not from the very beginning but once basic vocab is established and using new words from articles/short stories/etc to advance from that. I just want to know how grueling of a task I've set for myself as a native English speaker. It went well with German but with Cyrillic and all I'm less certain.

Blaurebell did - she has a lot of information about it in her log (which amusingly, I've been flicking through recently so good timing!). I think she did some pronunciation work first and Duolingo but otherwise all LWT.

https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=3235
0 x
Corrections appreciated.

ironfist
White Belt
Languages: English (N)
Different

Postby ironfist » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:26 am

Now I have finished Pimsleur Russian 1, 2, and 3. There are a lot of Russians in my office and it's fun to practice talking with them. All of them have been SUPER helpful when I have questions. I have been able to read Cyrillic since I learned in college but never learned Russian until the last year. It's fun to study this language.
2 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt

Postby MamaPata » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:42 pm

ironfist wrote:Now I have finished Pimsleur Russian 1, 2, and 3. There are a lot of Russians in my office and it's fun to practice talking with them. All of them have been SUPER helpful when I have questions. I have been able to read Cyrillic since I learned in college but never learned Russian until the last year. It's fun to study this language.

Impressive work! Glad you are enjoying it!
0 x
Corrections appreciated.

ironfist
White Belt
Languages: English (N)
Different

Postby ironfist » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:20 am

Yet despite completing those I know barely anything.
0 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:56 pm

Pimsleur = 1000 sentences stretched over 45 hours. That's around 5000 running words.
Assimil/classic Glossika = 3,000 sentences.

R.L. Stine on Twitter: "Approx 23,000 words in a Goosebumps book."
2 x

Schadenfruede
White Belt
Languages: English(N) German(upper beginner) Russian(beginner)

Postby Schadenfruede » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:01 pm

Lol well extensive and intensive reading have been proven to be really useful for language learning. Maybe we should all be reading Goosebumps in Russian.
0 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:23 pm

Re: Any recomendations for short (100-200 pg) Russian books?

sillygoose1 wrote:Preferably a series of something in the whodunnit detective category but anything will do really. Even short stories would be good. Goosebumps is too easy for me and Boris Akunin is a little too difficult so something in the middle would be great.

https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =14&t=6642

Books sorted by lexile levels
"Within a range from 100L below to 50L above his or her Lexile measure, a reader is expected to comprehend the text well enough to understand it, while still experiencing some reading challenge."

Magic Tree House by Mary Pope Osborne, Natalie Pope Boyce (Lexile Levels 230 - 590)

Goosebumps Original Series by R. L. Stine (Lexile Levels 280 - 640)

Judy Moody by Megan McDonald (Lexile Levels 390 - 600)

https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... mps#p87703
1 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt

Postby MamaPata » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:42 am

How is everyone's Russian study going? I have *gasps* actually done some stuff! Not much obviously, but I had an italki lesson and my tutor was pretty pleased that I hadn't forgotten everything. I've also added a book I got from LitRes to LWT so v v slowly making my way through that. (I'm currently on page 1)

Amusingly, I was in Paris recently and somehow managed to end up in a hotel where all the staff spoke Russian. So I managed to speak a bit of Russian. (In typical fashion, they didn't bat an eyelid or acknowledge that we were speaking Russian, despite having seen my passport and spoken to me in French)

On a very different note, does anyone have any podcast recommendations in Russian?
3 x
Corrections appreciated.

Return to “Study Groups”