피카 Fika

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Bunnychu
Orange Belt
Languages: Romanian (N), English (?), Korean (Intermediate), Swedish (Beginner), French/Spanish (Elementary)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7956

Re: Bunnychu's log (Korean & French)

Postby Bunnychu » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:35 am

MacGyver wrote:Your study regime is very impressive! I wish I could put in as many hours as you, but my girlfriend would probably murder me. :cry:

I just started using Naver Daily Korean Conversation. I wish I had known about it earlier. Are you just doing the assigned days sentences, or did you go back to the 4th of December 2017 and start from the start?

Oh, I'm just doing the current daily conversations. To be honest it will be too much of a hassle for me to go back to the start because I have this tendency to obsess over finishing it. Right now it doesn't feel like a chore and it's fun. :lol:
0 x

Bunnychu
Orange Belt
Languages: Romanian (N), English (?), Korean (Intermediate), Swedish (Beginner), French/Spanish (Elementary)

Postby Bunnychu » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:03 pm

19-09-2018
Korean
Study:
  • Quizlet (Class Set)
  • Italki
Entertainment:
  • 나의 아저씨 - 5화 (with subtitles)

20-09-2018
Korean
Study:
  • Topik practice
  • Naver Daily Korean Conversatiion

21-09-2018
Korean
Study:
  • Quizlet (Pathfinder 4 Set)
  • Naver Daily Korean Conversatiion

French
Study:
  • InnerFrench - 3.Les pays les plus heureux

22-09-2018
Korean
Study:
  • Language exchange
  • 빈조별 토픽: 2. 사동
  • KGIU: -고자 (연습)
  • KGIU: -(으)려던 참이다
  • Italki
Entertainment:
  • 나의 아저씨 - 6화 (with subtitles)

23-09-2018
Korean
Study:
  • Italki
Entertainment:
  • 나 혼자 산다 - 250화 (without subtitles)
  • 나의 아저씨 - 7화 (with subtitles)

24-09-2018
Korean
Study:
  • Anki
  • Quizlet (Pathfinder 5)
Entertainment:
  • 나의 아저씨 - 8화 (with subtitles)

I must admit I haven't done much since I last updated. I know that I have to increase the pace but I'm feeling a bit burned out. :cry:
1 x

Sayonaroo
Green Belt
Languages: English(N), Japanese -fluent?, Korean - advanced?, Spanish (b1?)
Language Log: http://choronghi.wordpress.com

Postby Sayonaroo » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:03 pm

so when you watch korean talk/variety shows without subtitles do you look up stuff while you watch or do you just watch straight through?? and how do you rate the shows you saw?
0 x

Bunnychu
Orange Belt

Postby Bunnychu » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:25 am

Sayonaroo wrote:so when you watch korean talk/variety shows without subtitles do you look up stuff while you watch or do you just watch straight through?? and how do you rate the shows you saw?

I do look stuff up whenever I think it's a key word I don't know. I'm finding that I'm doing it less and less because I can guess the meaning from the context and also it helps that I'm watching the same show. As for the shows I'm watching, I enjoy 나 혼자 산다 because of the cast; they seem quite relaxed with each other and make witty and funny comments. So far I've been enjoying 나의 아저씨 too. I would rate them both pretty highly but it's a matter of taste. :lol:
1 x

Bunnychu
Orange Belt

Postby Bunnychu » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:42 pm

Today:
Korean
Study:
  • KGIU: -(으)ㄹ 겸 -(으)ㄹ 겸
  • Yonsei Korean Reading
  • Quizlet(빈도별 토픽 - Set 1 / 외국인을 위한 한국어 읽기 - Set 1 / Yonsei Korean Reading 2 / Real Life Conversations)
  • Anki
  • 빈도별 토픽: 3. 피동
  • 이화 4 제 1과: Textbook: 1. -더니 / Workbook: 어휘 연습
Entertainment:
  • Iyagi #142 카페에서 일하는 것 (= Working From a Cafe)
2 x

Bunnychu
Orange Belt

Postby Bunnychu » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:49 pm

26-09-2018
Korean
Study:
  • KGIU: -아/어야지요
  • 빈도별 토픽: 4. 높임
  • Italki
  • Anki
  • Quizlet(Class - Set / Iyagi S2E5 디저트 / Iyagi S2E4 시절 놀이)
  • 이화 4 제 1과: Workbook: 1. -더니
  • 빈도별 토픽: 5. -아/어도 (50%)

Entertainment:
  • 나의 아저씨 - 9화
0 x

Bunnychu
Orange Belt

Postby Bunnychu » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:18 pm

27-09-2018
Korean
Study:
  • KGIU: -(으)ㄹ 만하다
  • 이화 4 제 1과: Textbook: 2. -(으)ㄴ/는 대로 / Workbook: 2. -(으)ㄴ/는 대로
  • 빈도별 토픽: 5. -아/어도 (completed)
  • Yonsei Korean Reading
  • Anki
  • Quizlet(내단어장 - Set 2)
Entertainment:
  • Iyagi #141 학창 시절 별명 (= Nicknames From School Days)
0 x

Bunnychu
Orange Belt

Postby Bunnychu » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:30 pm

As soon as I got into the groove and had more or less an established schedule that I felt was beneficial in my learning journey I had to disrupt it. This weekend I'll be in my hometown enjoying some decadent desserts and devouring some delicious food. :lol:
I took 'Handbook of Korean Vocabulary: A Resource for Word Recognition and Comprehension' with me and I'll hopefully read some pages. On the car I studied 2 of my vocabulary sets on quizlet and I read 2 pieces of news in Korean, one about Donald Trump's UN speech and the laughter that followed and one about Pokemon Go 'mafia' in Tenerife. :)))
I must say I find it very helpful to have my own word lists because when I see a word I can recall the context in which I found it and also visualize it. I wish I did this when I was a beginner too. I also think I found for myself a pretty nice schedule with the books I bought from Korea because not only do they reinforce what I study but they also compliment each other. Next year I want to register for Topik so I need to do my best but also have fun with my studies. I know it's not desirable to work with so many resources but if I don't keep them diverse, I can get bored easily.
3 x

Bunnychu
Orange Belt

Postby Bunnychu » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:00 am

I'm in a bit of a predicament, the more I study the worse I get. I'm not talking about hitting a plateau but I seem to get blocked way more often when I speak. My reading and grammar comprehension definitely improved, as well as my listening but my speaking skills have gotten worse even though I practice like before with italki lessons and language exchange. I'm not sure if anyone ever experienced this but I really don't know how to proceed going forward :(
2 x

AndyMeg
Blue Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Lower Intermediate?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 02#p201902

Postby AndyMeg » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:53 pm

Bunnychu wrote:I'm in a bit of a predicament, the more I study the worse I get. I'm not talking about hitting a plateau but I seem to get blocked way more often when I speak. My reading and grammar comprehension definitely improved, as well as my listening but my speaking skills have gotten worse even though I practice like before with italki lessons and language exchange. I'm not sure if anyone ever experienced this but I really don't know how to proceed going forward :(

Maybe it is because now you are more aware of your own mistakes? The more you study the more you know, but speaking is an active skill that needs more than just the knowledge. Think about it as reading a book about swimming. You may know the right way to swim, but you still haven't adquired the skill to actually swim. You need to get inside the water and practice there to actually be able to swim. But if you overthink about what you read in the book when you are in the water then you may drown. In the water the main priority is survival, it doesn't have to be pretty it just have to be effective. When you go out of the water you can analize your mistakes, practice the right way mentally and then get in the water again and challenge yourself. I think the same happens with learning to speak: you can practice in a controled environment, but when you are in the water (when you are actually speaking to someone) the priority isn't to remember all the knowledge and follow the book, you focus on staying afloat, you focus on effective communication even if it is not pretty or it is full of mistakes, you keep the conversation alive, and that's all that matters. Later you can analize alone or with a tutor or with your conversation partner what were your biggest mistakes and you practice the right way many times and then you go into the water again. (These are just my thoughts on the matter. I think the more we know what should be the right thing, the more scared we get of making mistakes, and so we get huge mental blocks. We just need to let go of any expectation and keep moving. We eventually will make a breakthrough and see the pay-off of all our efforts).

For me a very enjoyable way to practice speaking without the fear of making huge mistakes and getting blocked is by acting k-drama dialogues. It's a lot of fun! ;)
2 x
Beyond The Story 10 Year Record of BTS Korean version: 36 / 522

Return to “Language logs”