nothing serious here

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Re: nothing serious here

Postby Ani » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:47 am

I was just thinking about this. I transcribed a bunch of a stupid movie the other day and it was such a nice exercise.

It's the wrong language and the wrong series but it crossed my mind to do this for Black Mirror. Just some episodes.. the are some I wouldn't be willing to watch a second time let alone long enough to transcribe ..

You're doing awesome with your studies. We're all rooting for you.:)
0 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:16 am

Cavesa wrote:Everyone knows it is hard to find transcripts (=the precise version, not the subtitles. Even the subtitles in the original language for people with a hearing condition are often imprecise and sometimes even horrible).
The 'how I passed italian C2 exam' blog chap mentioned using Euronews.com for dictation exercises (I think they provide a transcript).
1 x

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Languages: Afrikaans (N), English (N)
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:00 am

Cavesa wrote:I've been thinking of a small transcription project.

I am also considering a small transcription project in the future. I downloaded all the intermediate and advanced podcasts from http://www.podcastsinspanish.org/index.shtml While the audio is free, you have to pay a subscription to access the transcripts. I don't have that type of money so I decided that I would transcribe it myself! All of the conversations are short (between 2 and 4 minutes) and the audio is more than 8 hours in total. Might be worth considering as well.

Ani wrote:It's the wrong language and the wrong series but it crossed my mind to do this for Black Mirror. Just some episodes.. the are some I wouldn't be willing to watch a second time let alone long enough to transcribe ..

That would be a nope from me as well. Still suffering from the effects of the last episode of season 1 :lol:

DaveAgain wrote:The 'how I passed italian C2 exam' blog chap mentioned using Euronews.com for dictation exercises (I think they provide a transcript).

They do, it's a really neat resource and it's available in 9 other languages, each with its own Youtube channel.
1 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:10 pm

Thanks, but this is not what I am looking for. I want the tv series. The ones I have mentioned as examples are full of useful language. How do I know what is useful: well, I want to speak those languages ideally as well as French or English, so I am basing my judgement on previous experience.

Actually, the awesome blog about getting to C2 Italian is one of my sources of experience for this. I really admire the blogger's dedication and the method, I just need to apply them on a bit different resources.

I don't like the news much. And I find news very depressive and boring, and I find the language rather repetitive and less useful for normal life. I can't see myself transcribing the news or using such transcripts in any time consuming way. I already hate my daily life enough :-D And I don't necessarily need to compare my dictée to a previous one fortunately (lack of such a resource is one of the main reasons for this exercise). My Spanish and Italian listening skills are well above my other skills, so I'll just combine them with googling and checking relevant sources (like dictionaries).

Really, the tv series are the best, so why switch them for something that simply doesn't work just that great for me?

I am convinced that the "obsession" of the language teachers with the news (it is is basically the only native content widely recommended in the main stream language learning as far as I've seen and heard) is one of the reasons for such a low % of successful language learners. People believe them and use something that doesn't work that well for their needs and doesn't stimulate them enough to keep doing it. The news have their place in a language learner's input diet, sure. But they shouldn't be so central to it.

I'll tell you how it goes really soon. Who knows, perhaps I'll encounter some troubles.

Another funny sentence from Duolingo: Jeder Cent zählt. :-D A very German one, I would say. And a piece of wisdom.
2 x

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:17 pm

Jaleel10 wrote:[
Ani wrote:It's the wrong language and the wrong series but it crossed my mind to do this for Black Mirror. Just some episodes.. the are some I wouldn't be willing to watch a second time let alone long enough to transcribe ..

That would be a nope from me as well. Still suffering from the effects of the last episode of season 1 :lol:

I could have happily skipped season 1, but I liked the beginning of season 2 and really loved season 4 EPs 1 & 4
0 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:12 pm

Cavesa wrote:I am convinced that the "obsession" of the language teachers with the news (it is is basically the only native content widely recommended in the main stream language learning as far as I've seen and heard) is one of the reasons for such a low % of successful language learners. People believe them and use something that doesn't work that well for their needs and doesn't stimulate them enough to keep doing it. The news have their place in a language learner's input diet, sure. But they shouldn't be so central to it.

I'm suffering from this at current :( we have to prepare a newspaper article to talk about for most lessons. I hate the news. It's usually either bad and makes me hate politics, the world and everyone in it, boring or not worthy of the name. I think the main drive behind this is that it's short. The expected level of the class right now is B1 level, and there are certainly those who wouldn't do well with longer texts, but most of the class would probably be fine.

That being said, I avoid news to such an extent that it's probably for the best that I'm forced to read a few articles. Unfortunately, right now it's all (still) about the Swedish election, so every page of every paper is basically the same.
3 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby DaveAgain » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:31 pm

Elenia wrote:I'm suffering from this at current :( we have to prepare a newspaper article to talk about for most lessons. I hate the news. It's usually either bad and makes me hate politics, the world and everyone in it, boring or not worthy of the name.
You're doing it wrong!

You need to look for the articles about wonderfoods. It's always cheering to know that chocolate is good for your blood pressure, and blue/red/purple berries can cure whatever ails you.

I've not yet seen one about the life extending powers of McVites digestives, but I'm hoping their marketing department will get on side help me. I want to believe!
5 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:23 pm

DaveAgain wrote:
Elenia wrote:I'm suffering from this at current :( we have to prepare a newspaper article to talk about for most lessons. I hate the news. It's usually either bad and makes me hate politics, the world and everyone in it, boring or not worthy of the name.
You're doing it wrong!

You need to look for the articles about wonderfoods. It's always cheering to know that chocolate is good for your blood pressure, and blue/red/purple berries can cure whatever ails you.

I've not yet seen one about the life extending powers of McVites digestives, but I'm hoping their marketing department will get on side help me. I want to believe!

See, Sweden's all about telling me that wine is bad for me, and I shouldn't eat after 8pm. NO SWEDEN I CAN'T HEAR YOU I'M NOT LISTENING.
5 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby DaveAgain » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:13 pm

Elenia wrote:See, Sweden's all about telling me that wine is bad for me, and I shouldn't eat after 8pm. NO SWEDEN I CAN'T HEAR YOU I'M NOT LISTENING.
Now that's just mean. :o

Any newspaper that behaves like that doesn't deserve another chance in the recycling bin. One way ticket to the cat litter tray. No appeal.
4 x

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Languages: English (n)
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:41 pm

Cavesa wrote: I've been thinking of a small transcription project. Everyone knows it is hard to find transcripts (=the precise version, not the subtitles. Even the subtitles in the original language for people with a hearing condition are often imprecise and sometimes even horrible). So I was thinking about doing such a longer "dictée" exercise. Why? I've found myself making too many notes while watching Incorporated in Spanish and wishing I was making notes during Lucifer in Italian. Anyone would like to join me and share transcripts of the episodes?

Are you thinking of doing the specific shows you mentioned, or other shows? Are you most interested in a Word Doc-type transcription file or do you have something else in mind?

Even though this sounds daunting, the masochist in me is very interested in attempting this for at least one episode of something in Italian. I could potentially convince my husband to check what I'm writing and correct anything that isn't accurate. I think this would be good (brutal) practice for me but there are some technological hinderances.

I mainly use Netflix for shows with Italian audio. With streaming from other sources, pausing and restarting a million times will probably be troublesome because that tends to screw things up with the file and it will probably freeze/crash. However, if there's a show you think would be particularly good, I will do a little sleuthing to see if I can find a solution.
0 x
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

Return to “Language logs”