nothing serious here

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Re: nothing serious here

Postby Elenia » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:58 pm

Cavesa wrote:There seems to be one method that makes me at least realise what I am reading. Who knows whether it makes me remember stuff, but it makes me really see the content and not wish to throw the book through the window instead. Translation. I am translating the textbooks from French to Czech. This way, the content must flow through the brain in some way, because there is no other way from the paper book, through my eyes, and to my fingers on the computer keyboard. Let's see whether it works. My dad is a saint btw. He came with this idea and has been supporting me in every way possible.

A kind of coincidence: I was thinking you could one day (if you wanted!) translate the French medical textbooks for the Czech market. And then in your post you said this :D I'm glad that your dad could give you this idea, and that it's helping!
5 x

renaissancemedici
Orange Belt
Languages: Greek (N), English (C2), French (B2), Italian (A2), German (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 25#p100832

Postby renaissancemedici » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:26 am

You sing arias, on top of everything? :o

Where's the emoticon for a standing ovation?
2 x
I use Assimil right now as a starting point, but at the same time I am building the foundation for further studies of German.

Assimil German with ease: 8 / 100

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:06 pm

Translating is fun. It takes quite long, and there are are 220 exam "questions". A question is more like a topic of a short presentation with questions from the examiners. There are three, and they are usually very kind here. In my previous attempt, they were really nice to me and almost wanted me to pass more than I wanted it. I was just really not ok. So, I have less than a week to get through all this. I need it. Wish me luck.

Also, I made myself happier with some money today, I bought books! In December, I ordered a list of Spanish books in my favourite bookshop. They got some of them after three months (6 weeks is the official limit) and then I didn't have time and they were moving to a new address. Today, I saw the new shop and I asked whether the books hadn't accidentally stayed there (the reservation was for 14 days, but I hoped noone would want the 2nd and 3rd book of the trilogy without the first one). They were hidden there!!! They've been waiting for me! Sometimes, it's hard not to believe in fate :-D :-D :-D So, I am looking forward to like 1300 pages by Felix J. Palma. I am starting right after the hellish exam.

And I also bought something for my German learning. I wanted an Italian book, but it was the 2nd part of a trilogy and the 1st one won't be available for some time, too bad. In general, they have significantly fewer fiction books now. They still have medical textbooks in English (I liked a few), they've still got a lot of language courses and similar stuff. But few fiction books in the foreign languages. Which is sad. Now I have no way to just accidentally choose a book from a shelf. Having to research and order everything is not so much fun.

For the German thing: I'll tell you, when I start using it. I need to do more and write less about doing in general :-D

About Italian: I saw the Antman. Not a stellar marvel, but ok for falling asleep and eating with it. The dubbing was not bad, it was ok for Italian maintenance, but it was not one I would recommend as something great. The Mentalist dubbing is great, this one is not.

The exam I need to take next week (it is too early, but there may be no other chance till January) is horrible. I feel like crying but I can't, it just doesn't work, even though it would help enormously. Hmm. At least translating is fun, it makes it all look at least a bit interesting. And also, I might remember much more, as the French textbooks are really meant for a student, they explain and repeat stuff. But that is just a theory, we'll see whether I'll even manage to get to the exam.

I have an awesome boyfriend supporting me, who happens to be in the second unit of Duolingo French. YAAAYYYYY!!!! This is an amazing gift. A proof of love, of meaning it seriously that he'll go with me, if I succeed. And also trust. He trusts my abilities much more than I do. At least one of us does :-D And my dad is awesome too and my friends haven't forsaken me entirely for not having time yet.

Too bad I cannot count the translating time in the 6wc, it wouldn't make much of sense, nor would it be fair. I don't count English either after all.
7 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:14 pm

Adding just a song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGcX5wopq3M

Italian is one of the best languages of music.

And to renaissancemedici's note: I am just learning! I am not great at it. :-D But thanks for the compliment :-) But this has been one of the best decisions of my life. I'd recommend actively making music to everyone. I am not sure whether English uses make or do in this context. But really, any instrument, any genre. Just actively devote a bit of time to any music that you love and your life is likely to be much richer thanks to it.
3 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:27 pm

Also something I've recently seen in a bookstore: https://edinumen.es/index.php?page=shop ... t&Itemid=4

It really exists. "Consta de 20 actividades en las que se trabajan diversos tipos de mecanismos irónicos (de elementos morfológicos, fraseológicos o sintácticos)."

My first reaction was like "Ha, some people could do with such a coursebook in their native language"
Then I looked inside. It is not worth the money for me (and the best course of sarcasm and irony is the RTVE tv series Estoy Vivo or translated Terry Pratchett). But in general, it is a great idea. Too many people don't realise how important this is! Perhaps someone here may be looking for stuff like this, even though it is probably more worth the money for a teacher than for the individual independent students getting lots of natural input.
2 x

renaissancemedici
Orange Belt
Languages: Greek (N), English (C2), French (B2), Italian (A2), German (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 25#p100832

Postby renaissancemedici » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:55 am

Nice to see yo in full force again. Yes, the Italian music... (sigh).

How about
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quSBG_3KKPk
2 x
I use Assimil right now as a starting point, but at the same time I am building the foundation for further studies of German.

Assimil German with ease: 8 / 100

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:20 pm

renaissancemedici wrote:Nice to see yo in full force again. Yes, the Italian music... (sigh).

How about
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quSBG_3KKPk

A beauty! Thanks for the link!
In defense of Duolingo: some of the sentences are really fun. Today I got one about a priestess having white cats. I was wondering what religion was that :-D

And even the forums there sometimes produce something extraordinary: https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/28754279
A werewolf eats. Would it be fressen or essen?

It looks like it depends on the form they have at the moment. And their style. Some people fressen after all :-D
6 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:27 pm

I want to learn Mandarin instead of all this trash. Or Japanese. Or both. Or at least my already studied languages.

Btw, I am definitely gonna pay for a month of Kwiziq later this year. The Spanish course has grown a lot. How do I know? When I left, I had passed 100% of the content. 100% at each level. But the % change, as they add new stuff and now I have A0: 80,64%, A1:75,17% A2: 73,01% B1: 67,67% and B2: 48,45% That means they've been adding lots of new content, especially to the B levels. The C1 level is still not there but it looks like it is being planned. The only thing I really dislike: the price is just for one language, not for both, which makes it rather expensive. But one month could be a good investment. Two years definitely not, despite being the cheapest per month.
3 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:58 am

I passed the hellish exam on Tuesday. I was extremely lucky, these were the nicest examiners ever. And I was being so dumb. You know, that kind of "oh, such a nice group of questions" and a few minutes later "ouch, I am sounding dumb even to myself". But I showed up and that counted. I said at least something. That's good news. And a day later, I ended up in hospital. Nothing too serious, nothing requiring hospitalisation but still not a pleasure. If I survive this, it's gonna be a small miracle.

Today, I'll need to go through some bureaucracy. And then I might enjoy a bit of peace. Finally! And I am gonna give myself a week of holiday. And I feel like learning Spanish.

What language learning related activities have been an oasis of calm to me lately: tv series Lucifer in Italian (a very good dubbing), the beginning of a Spanish book by Felix Palma, Duolingo German (it is too easy and that feels good :-D but still better than nothing), and a few bits of a Spanish coursebook.

The coursebook is a mystery. Nobody knows where it came from. It just appeared in my boyfriend's home one day. Not a single family member has ever learnt Spanish. Or considered it. There is a paper with a test inside, with a totally unfamiliar name on it. There are notes inside. Unfortunately, the key to exercises hasn't appeared yet. Just earlier today, we were joking "this is obviously a sign. someone here will need Spanish one day!"
5 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:09 am

I've been thinking of a small transcription project. Everyone knows it is hard to find transcripts (=the precise version, not the subtitles. Even the subtitles in the original language for people with a hearing condition are often imprecise and sometimes even horrible). So I was thinking about doing such a longer "dictée" exercise. Why? I've found myself making too many notes while watching Incorporated in Spanish and wishing I was making notes during Lucifer in Italian. But I am considering a few other options as well. For native Spanish show, I've been considering Estoy Vivo.

Anyone would like to join me and share transcripts of the episodes?
1 x

Return to “Language logs”