Anyone considered keeping a private wiki?

General discussion about learning languages
Stefan
Green Belt
Languages: -

Anyone considered keeping a private wiki?

Postby Stefan » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:44 pm

When I returned to my high school German a few years ago, I took notes and wrote a grammar summary in my own words; explaining basic things such as constituents, cases and gender. I never completed it and should really revise it but the main idea was to get down all my knowledge in my own words so I could study and refresh it.

Similarly I have notes on other areas in life such as productivity, marketing and photography. For example, I have a list of 40 productivity methods such as "The Ivy Lee Method" so I can just open my notebook and skim one page to refresh years of reading. Sadly, most of my other notes are a mess - spanning over screenshots, text files, Word, Scrivener, notebooks, highlights, bookmarks, Evernote and so forth.

So I'm considering setting up a private wiki or blog to keep the notes in the same place and format. The main advantage being that I can actually get a decent design. Scrivener and Evernote are great for writing but they are quite awful when it comes to formatting.

Have you done anything similar or do you have a better method for keeping track?
6 x

patrickwilken
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2+), Spanish (A1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8886

Re: Anyone considered keeping a private wiki?

Postby patrickwilken » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:25 am

I am like the exact opposite sort of learner. I never took notes during lectures at university and have taken no notes at all during language learning.
1 x

German Spanish
1500 Movies : 1389 / 1500100 Movies : 4 / 100
50000 Pages : 41089 / 500005000 Pages : 0 / 5000

All goals to be completed by 31.12.19.

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:01 am

Personally I use Emacs in org-mode. I have a directory on windows which I use GIT to keep all my files and all the changes managed on a central server. When I change computers I can just clone the git image on my server and everything is pulled back down at the latest version. Version control is brilliant!

I also happen to use Org-Mode to publish my blog, it works like a content engine, but outputs static html (safer).

So... org-mode:
Org mode is for keeping notes, maintaining TODO lists, planning projects, and authoring documents with a fast and effective plain-text system

https://orgmode.org/
2 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Postby Bluepaint » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:30 pm

Stefan wrote:When I returned to my high school German a few years ago, I took notes and wrote a grammar summary in my own words; explaining basic things such as constituents, cases and gender. I never completed it and should really revise it but the main idea was to get down all my knowledge in my own words so I could study and refresh it.

Similarly I have notes on other areas in life such as productivity, marketing and photography. For example, I have a list of 40 productivity methods such as "The Ivy Lee Method" so I can just open my notebook and skim one page to refresh years of reading. Sadly, most of my other notes are a mess - spanning over screenshots, text files, Word, Scrivener, notebooks, highlights, bookmarks, Evernote and so forth.

So I'm considering setting up a private wiki or blog to keep the notes in the same place and format. The main advantage being that I can actually get a decent design. Scrivener and Evernote are great for writing but they are quite awful when it comes to formatting.

Have you done anything similar or do you have a better method for keeping track?

No but this sounds pretty cool! If you do it please let us know how you found the process and if it was a worthwhile experience
0 x

Neurotip
Green Belt
Languages: eng N; ita & fra B2+, ell & deu B2-, ísl B1 (spa & swe A2?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9850

Postby Neurotip » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:00 pm

rdearman wrote:Personally I use Emacs in org-mode.

Hmm, interesting - I use Emacs but I haven't come across org-mode before. Thanks.

About 15 years ago I had the idea of keeping my notes on work-related topics in plain text files, and of writing a script to turn them into HTML, and wherever the name of one file occurred in another it would be turned into a hyperlink to that file. It went well, each time I add a note I re-run the script, and by now there are several hundred text files that I can browse using a web browser. It ends up rather like a wiki without the formatting options but with automatic linking. I can imagine this working for language notes too although I haven't tried it in that context.
1 x
Corrections welcome here

rstfk
Languages: Native: English
Learning: Japanese

Postby rstfk » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:32 am

I have considered it in the past, but I now view my note-taking as a way to clarify my thoughts at a specific time, rather than to record ideas permanently for future reference. So I don't feel the need to keep an organized database of everything I've ever written, expect to occasionally peruse for inspiration.
I'm pretty disorganized. I usually use Evernote to write down my thoughts but I occasionally use a physical notebook or various text files scrambled about my computer.
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:14 pm

Neurotip wrote:
rdearman wrote:Personally I use Emacs in org-mode.

Hmm, interesting - I use Emacs but I haven't come across org-mode before. Thanks.

About 15 years ago I had the idea of keeping my notes on work-related topics in plain text files, and of writing a script to turn them into HTML, and wherever the name of one file occurred in another it would be turned into a hyperlink to that file. It went well, each time I add a note I re-run the script, and by now there are several hundred text files that I can browse using a web browser. It ends up rather like a wiki without the formatting options but with automatic linking. I can imagine this working for language notes too although I haven't tried it in that context.

Org-mode will do links into other files as well as hyperlinks. With a plugin you can even us it to do presentations. Like all things emacs it is amazing one you start doing it.
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Kat
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N), English (advanced), Dutch (intermediate)

Postby Kat » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:10 pm

Stefan wrote:Have you done anything similar

A while ago I was looking for a wiki-like solution to keep track of my notes for a project (not related to language learning). I tried several programs and finally ended up using Zim.

It's really simple to use and you can keep several wikis (notebooks actually) for different topics. The main advantage for me was that I don't need to deal with all the technical stuff that would have been necessary to run a real wiki. I've never used Scrivener or Evernote, so I'm note sure how Zim compares to them.
1 x
Transcription challenge: 1. episode of De Ijzeren Eeuw (The Iron Century)
Minutes: 6 / 43

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:25 am

The important thing for me is easy to use, transportable and accessible. I finally settled for a solution that is a combination of apple "notes", dropbox and google docs (depends on work environment). And I use a box of index cards and a sketch book, too.

It does the job.

I tried a private wiki - spent too much time futzing around on the code, the installation, maintenance and formatting.

I keep a bunch of notebooks around for language learning but i'm always losing those. A shared directory that is also part of my backup profile is sufficient.
4 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Return to “General Language Discussion”