Rachel's Morning and Evening Language Log (Korean, Mandarin, Classical Chinese)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
RachelMeier
Yellow Belt
Languages: Currently Studying: Korean (Intermediate) KSL (Beginner) Mandarin (Beginner) Danish (Beginner) Classical Chinese (On Hold)

Interested in: Mongolian, Finnish, Turkish, Russian.

Previously Studied: Latin, German, Spanish, Italian, Japanese, Turkish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... p?p=165080

Rachel's Morning and Evening Language Log (Korean, Mandarin, Classical Chinese)

Postby RachelMeier » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:35 pm

First post here! Here's my Proximate Goals as of August 2018 (What I'm working on).

Korean:

-Listening to Iyagi and Spongemind podcasts. 20 minutes per day.
-Practicing transcription and pronunication with Naver's Daily Korean Conversation. 1 a day.
-Reading 랑야방, the Korean translation of the Chinese wuxia novel Nirvana in Fire. 50 pages a week.
-->adding items to vocab diary and/or Anki from my reading
-Ongoing Kdramas, trying to watch any family dramas without subs.

Mandarin:

-Catching up on to-review items in Hello Chinese App, 1-2 sessions per day
-->once this is done I will start doing available Premium Plus Lessons.
-Pimsleur 5, 1 lesson per day
-Ongoing Cdramas

Classical Chinese

-Goldlisting for Chinese through Poetry by Archies Barnes--1 headlist, one distillation list per day.

Specific post for this morning will be below, I will update that when I get home from work before I begin my evening studies
9 x

RachelMeier
Yellow Belt
Languages: Currently Studying: Korean (Intermediate) KSL (Beginner) Mandarin (Beginner) Danish (Beginner) Classical Chinese (On Hold)

Morning-August 24, 2018

Postby RachelMeier » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:05 pm

I was having bad dreams about work last night so I woke up at 2:30 am and never got back to sleep. Here’s what I got done:

Mandarin:

2 review sessions in HelloChinese App

This is my day to renew and redownload Pimsleur Mandarin 5 from the library so I may not get to 5.12 today

I watched/listened to Episode 16 and the first half of 17 of Story of Yanxi Palace while I was Goldlisting. Shhhh don’t tell the Goldlist guy. No idea why I’m continuing to do this when there are no subs, I guess I just find watching people plot against each other in a harem really fascinating even if I have no idea what their plots are...

Classical Chinese:

2 headlists, working on Ch 19 and Ch 20 in Chinese Through Poetry. Made a resolution to simply list everything from the book from now on, without regard for spilling over into a new book. Previously I was skipping all the lines in poems I understood grammatically to fit my Bronze lists into 1 book, but I feel like I’m shortchanging my studies by skipping the context lines for so many new characters. This may dramatically lengthen the amount of time it takes me to do the headlists, but it also may make the difference between learning and not learning this stuff... Still planning on skipping well-known characters tho.

Korean:

Amazingly finished 10 whole pages in 랑야방 Nirvana in Fire just in time to leave and even be early for work. We’re getting into the exciting part now, and I keep crying at the kitchen table while I’m reading while my mom casts worriedl ooks my way :roll: No particular new words of interest to report in this section. I’m officially 50% of the way through the book, hope the remainder doesn’t take me a year and a 4 months like the first half did...
2 x

RachelMeier
Yellow Belt

Evening-August 24, 2018

Postby RachelMeier » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:32 am

Korean

Listened to 3 Iyagi on the way home from work on Corporal Punishment, Dreams for the Future, and Mom’s Nagging. Notable things I remember: jokes on the similarity between 체벌 corporal punishment and 재벌 rich person; one of the hosts wanted to be a scientist when he was little and then a manhwa artist, and the other at one point wanted to be a pretty bank teller 운행 언니 haha. The female host in the third one doesn’t care about fashion and if it weren’t for her mum she’d be a slob apparently, Seok Jin is shocked by this since she dresses quite well. Seok Jin is bugged constantly about getting married (Um, I’ll marry you! Not to be weird or anything...um...). And the hosts are curious about what Mongolian and African moms nag about. I have an answer: probably the same things lol.

Read 4 more pages in Nirvana in Fire. Learned some interesting new words, 우두둑 the onamotapeia for breaking an arm/leg, generally crunching things etc, and 뭍 for land as in land and water, for example according to what I see on Naver 뭍사람 is apparently the Korean equivalent of the English word landlubber. In Nirvana in Fire it was used in the context of a land and lake situation. I am now officially at 40 pages for this week, if I make it to 10 tomorrow I will have reached my goal of 50 for the week for the first time!

Will have to watch My ID is Gangnam Beauty sometime tomorrow.

Classical Chinese

Only one 2nd distillation, only able to eliminate 3 of 12... imagine it’s only going to get worse from here lol. So tired from this morning...

Mandarin

Posting now, but planning on watching ep 10 of Bloody Romance! Waiting patiently for Viki to catch up to Ep 15 of Heavy Sweetness Ashlike Frost.
2 x

RachelMeier
Yellow Belt

Morning-August 25, 2018

Postby RachelMeier » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:32 pm

Korean

-6 pages of Nirvana in Fire
-first 15 minutes of My ID is Gangnam Beauty— this show is too funny haha

Mandarin

-first 20 minutes of Pimsleur 5.12

Had to do a ton of errands and woke up super late so I didn’t get much done...
2 x

RachelMeier
Yellow Belt

Evening-August 25, 2018

Postby RachelMeier » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:19 am

Korean

6 more pages in Nirvana in Fire! The birthday party confrontation is nearly over... and I made it to 52 pages for the week! Yesss that first time I’ve met my goal!

I added a few more words to my vocab diary, but there wasn’t anything interesting enough to mention here.

Finished up episode 9 and watched episode 10 of My ID is Gangnam Beauty. This show is so pure we simply don’t deserve it :cry:

Mandarin

Did one review session in Hello Chinese. Looks like we might be getting into the grammar I zoomed through without learning properly the first time so I may need to head back to the lessons proper now.

I may watch episode 11 of Bloody Romance but I’m getting super tired. So I realized last night as I was watching that the MC is kind of a Mary Sue buuuuuut I’m not sure I care lol. I’m kind of more watching for the fairly unique male lead anyway. Also, a true Mary Sue wouldn’t be as recklessly loyal to her man as this MC is, so that is saving her character for me.

Hopefully I also finish up Pimsleur 5.12 before I head to sleep.

Classical Chinese

2 headlists from ch 20, one 8-line poem and two 4-line poems. I can just see that the next 20 chapters are going to be a real bear and am very skeptical Goldlisting is going to really get me through this. Ah well, nothing else to do but forge ahead at this point, I’ve tried every other study method without success...
2 x

RachelMeier
Yellow Belt

Morning-August 26, 2018

Postby RachelMeier » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:28 pm

Korean

-Read 11 pages in Nirvana in Fire

Classical Chinese

-One Second distillation.

Mandarin

This is for last night, but I actually watched 2 episodes of Bloody Romance yesterday-the show is starting to move into the main conflict it seems, and finally introducing a love rival for Wan Mei. Booooo. Changan hasn’t woken up from his injuries yet so I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt for now...
1 x

RachelMeier
Yellow Belt

Evening August 26 and Morning August 27

Postby RachelMeier » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:38 am

Doing my logs together because I forgot last night.

Korean

Episode 9 of Let’s Live Together without subs

One page of Nirvana in Fire

May listen to Iyagi on way to work.

Mandarin

Ughhhh I watched the first 12 episodes of Go Princess Go—it was a mistake. Pretty sure I’m not going to continue watching, there are much better ways to spend the 6 hours it would take me to finish.

Episode 13 of Bloody Romance-this show is so good!

Hello Chinese review

Classical Chinese

1 second distillation, 2 headlists. Slowly realizing that the reason the first 16 chapters were such a breeze was because I’ve restarted this book so many times. Hold me...
1 x

RachelMeier
Yellow Belt

Evening-August 27, 2018

Postby RachelMeier » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:42 am

Korean

4 pages of Nirvana in Fire over lunch

Watched Episode 9 of Risky Romance. Gosh this show is bad but I can’t stop watching because I love the main actors too much.

Mandarin

2 review sessions in Hello Chinese

Classical Chinese

One 2nd distillation and one very short headlist from Chinese through Poetry. Going to try one more headlist before I collapse. I really want to watch Bloody Romance but I’m so so tired. Work is the literal pits right now.
2 x

RachelMeier
Yellow Belt

Morning-August 28, 2018

Postby RachelMeier » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:46 am

Woke up at 5 this morning so I had plenty of time to get to everything

Korean

-5 pages in Nirvana in Fire

Mandarin

-Two review sessions in Hello Chinese

-Pimsleur 5.12

-Completed Episode 17 of Yanxi Palace while doing my Chinese Through Poetry goldlist. Did end up watching Ep 14 of Bloody Romance last night.

Classical Chinese

-Finished a half done headlist. One distillation.

Goals for the evening: Korean daily conversation, 2 more pages in Nirvana in Fire, one more headlist. Maybe get back to Webtoons? Also thinking about starting my Chinese history book (Imperial China 900-1800).
1 x

RachelMeier
Yellow Belt

Evening-August 28, 2018

Postby RachelMeier » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:46 am

Korean

-One Naver Daily Korean Conversation

-Two more pages in Nirvana in Fire

Mandarin

-Finally! Episode 16 of Heavy Sweetness Ashlike Frost!

-Watching Episode 15 of Bloody Romance right now Changan ❤️ I will follow this actor to the end of the earth. Um but is it weird my favorite couple is Cha Luo and her poor castrated shadow? They’re so cute in a weird psycho way...
2 x

Return to “Language logs”