Jaleel's Spanish Log, 2018.

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Languages: Afrikaans (N), English (N)
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Re: Jaleel's Spanish Log, 2018.

Postby Jaleel10 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:04 pm

Not a huge progress update. Going through some mental health issues and have not been able to devote my full attention to Spanish but we continue!

Most of my Spanish studying can be split up in: Television: 60%, Podcasts 20%, Reading 20%. Been skimping on Assimil and my grammar books but exposure is exposure lol. I have been watching tons of Gran Hotel (Spanish subbed). God, this is show is pretty ridiculous in the 2nd season but I'll push on. It's just cheesy enough to keep me entertained. Speaking of cheesy. I dipped my toes in the warm water that is telenovelas. Been doing some light research on which show to actively practice with. It was originally La Reina del Sur but since I have watched a bit of Dueños del Paraíso and La Casa de al Lado. Going to be rotating between one of those and La Que Se Avecina.

I have been listen to a podcast, El Gran Apagón, which I saw on NoManches' log. It's just my kind of podcast. I am a huge fan of the 'unorthodox' ie fantasy, suspense, horror, thrillers, crime. I can't get enough of it. My comprehension isn't fantastic but I am able to keep up for the most part and always rewind when something is too unclear. I rarely have to look up words, not because I don't know them, it's just because I can usually figure them out through context. Partly because I listen to and read content of that nature often and maybe also because I speak 2 languages already, making it easier to fill in the gaps? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ who knows lol. Doesn't really help with my long term memory though, but for that I am reading graded readers as much and often as I can.

Speaking of graded readers I have been kinda jumping around them, unable to finish one lol, but I have been enjoying them. I have also been reading manga translated to Spanish. I highly recommend this if you are at the Advanced Beginner stage and if you are familiar with the art form. Manga is much more easily accessible than comics in Spanish and their is great variety available as well. It's an easy way to burn time during breaks at work. They can be read on your phone or pc. This is just a page from Hunter x Hunter screenshotted from my phone:
99.jpg

The 5 podcasts I am using to actively practice my listening, just in case there are other learners around or below my level that wants to use them. All of them contain transcripts. All of them are dedicated to learners so there isn't a huge amount of slang and fast spoken Spanish. I think they call this Comprehensible Input and with the transcripts, which I import into Lingq, I am working on my reading as well.

Español con Juan
Españolistos
Unlimited Spanish
Español Automático
Spanish Podcast

4 out of the 5 are from Spain because.... ¡Viva España, [insert any Spanish expletive here]!

Oh and decided to take a grammar test on kwiziq. It seems like a great service but sadly my wallet doesn't think so :lol: I guess I will stick to the grammar books. These are my results. I guessed two correctly and got two wrong. The two I got wrong could have been completely avoided but oh well. This does not reflect my level at all but it's nice to all of this is paying off. I took the structures test on Dialang too and got a B1. So I'd say I have a strong grasp on Lower Intermediate grammar.
2018-08-10 (3).png

2018-07-20.png

I also discovered a few Youtubers who do video game playthoughs and all of the videos I have watched in Spanish, gaming Youtubers are easily the fastest speakers, easily. Damn, I can't keep up for the live of me :lol: And sadly they don't come with transcripts ha

I have been spamming AuronPlay videos as usual. He is easily my favourite Youtuber and I can watch several of the same videos over and over because they are so entertaining. I will share one of his prank calls. It's always my goto when I am feeling down haha

So yeah, still a long way to go but I am still enjoying the language.
Thanks for reading.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
7 x

NoManches
Blue Belt
Languages: English - (N)
Spanish - B2 +
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7942

Postby NoManches » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:18 am

Jaleel10 wrote:Not a huge progress update. Going through some mental health issues and have not been able to devote my full attention to Spanish but we continue!

First off, great work with your Spanish. For me, Spanish is my way of relaxing and unwinding after a hard day at work. I have a lot of fun studying and using Spanish. Keep finding fun things to do in Spanish and I'm sure it will help you through any mental health issues you are having. I wish you the best of luck with that!

Jaleel10 wrote:I have been listen to a podcast, El Gran Apagón, which I saw on NoManches' log.

I'm glad you like the podcast! There are certain parts where I have to rewind just to make sure I caught everything, so don't feel bad about having to do that if things get tough.

Jaleel10 wrote:Speaking of graded readers I have been kinda jumping around them, unable to finish one lol, but I have been enjoying them.

Just the other day I stumbled across some really cool graded readers that I mentioned in my log. I like them because they are written by a native speaker and seem like regular books that somebody would just pick up and read for fun. Too many graded readers are really boring or try to incorporate history, traditional tales, that kind of thing. There's nothing wrong with these kinds of books, as long as you'd be willing to read them for fun in your native language.

Here is the link to the authors amazon page. I bough the B2 books and they are too easy but I will finish reading them (since I paid for them and they count as extensive reading). I'll bought the C1 book bundle and hope they are as good as the B2 books.

https://www.amazon.com/Paco-Ardit/e/B00 ... sr=8-2-ent
3 x
DOUBLE Super Challenge
Spanish Movies
: 10795 / 18000

Spanish Books
: 4415 / 10000

Chmury
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
Castellano (Adv)
German (Int)
Dutch (Int)
Polski - currently inactive, but I will return to it
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1516

Postby Chmury » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:58 am

Jajaja ese Juan de español con Juan es bien gracioso. Le encanta su ciudad, de eso no hay dudas. Voy a echar un vistazo a los podcasts que enlazaste y tal vez encuentre otro podcast bueno que escuchar. Gracias por compartirlos.
1 x
Hindernisse und Schwierigkeiten sind Stufen, auf denen wir in die Höhe steigen

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:16 am

Chmury wrote:Jajaja ese Juan de español con Juan es bien gracioso. Le encanta su ciudad, de eso no hay dudas. Voy a echar un vistazo a los podcasts que enlazaste y tal vez encuentre otro podcast bueno que escuchar. Gracias por compartirlos.

Jaja, sí, Juan es el mejor profesor de español en youtube, no cabe duda. Me cae bien ese hombre, sólo quiero abrazarlo jaja. Me ayudan mucho sus podcasts y videos. Oye, dudo que te sirvan esos podcasts jaja. Son para estudiantes con un nivel intermedio mas o menos. Échale un vistacito aquí - https://www.podiumpodcast.com/. Estos son para nativos y la mayoría de ellos son bien escritos y producidos me parece. Al menos eso es lo que me dicen mis amigos hispanohablantes.

NoManches wrote:First off, great work with your Spanish. For me, Spanish is my way of relaxing and unwinding after a hard day at work. I have a lot of fun studying and using Spanish. Keep finding fun things to do in Spanish and I'm sure it will help you through any mental health issues you are having. I wish you the best of luck with that!

Thanks and I hope so too. It's one of the reasons I am studying Spanish. I have fallen in love with this infuriating language and it's a great way to distract myself from some of life's hardships.

Just the other day I stumbled across some really cool graded readers that I mentioned in my log. I like them because they are written by a native speaker and seem like regular books that somebody would just pick up and read for fun. Too many graded readers are really boring or try to incorporate history, traditional tales, that kind of thing. There's nothing wrong with these kinds of books, as long as you'd be willing to read them for fun in your native language.

This is awesome! I bought the B2 bundle because I already have a ton B1 graded readers. I hope to read them at the end of finishing my B1 books. Gracias, tío viejo
2 x

Chmury
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
Castellano (Adv)
German (Int)
Dutch (Int)
Polski - currently inactive, but I will return to it
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1516

Postby Chmury » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:32 am

Jaleel10 wrote:Jaja, sí, Juan es el mejor profesor de español en youtube, no cabe duda. Me cae bien ese hombre, sólo quiero abrazarlo jaja. Me ayudan mucho sus podcasts y videos. Oye, dudo que te sirvan esos podcasts jaja. Son para estudiantes con un nivel intermedio mas o menos. Échale un vistacito aquí - https://www.podiumpodcast.com/. Estos son para nativos y la mayoría de ellos son bien escritos y producidos me parece. Al menos eso es lo que me dicen mis amigos hispanohablantes.

Escucho Aquí Hay Dragones ahorita. Ese sitio web destaca perfectamente una de las cosas mejores de emprender el castellano; que hay tantos recursos de los que disfrutar, que nunca vas a agotarlos ni quedarte sin algo que leer, escuchar o ver.

Escuché un episodio de Español Automático anoche y me pareció muy útil. Sí que hay muchos podcasts sobre gramática y cosas así (y no es que yo sepa todo lo que hay por saber, ¡en absoluto!), pero también hay muchos sobre expresiones, cómo es vivir en España (Barcelona en su caso), cómo alquilar una casa en una ciudad española, y todo eso me interesa. Además hablan muy claramente (y con ese acento que nos encanta tanto) y aunque mi nivel ya es bastante alto, siempre hay algo más que aprender y pulir, mucho más, es un camino sin fin, y eso es una de las cosas que más me encanta. El aprendizaje de idiomas, o un solo idioma, te puede tardar toda la vida, sólo es pregunta de lo lejos y lo profundo que quieres ir.
Así que la escritura es una cosa, ya que tengo tanto tiempo como necesito para escribir algo y si me cuesta expresar algo concreto, siempre puedo buscar ejemplos en la red y averiguar la manera mejor de comunicar lo que sea que quiero decir. Sin embargo la escucha no funciona así y la puedo mejorar muchísimo. Es más, me gusta tener una gama diversa de podcasts de la que elegir, ya que nunca se sabe qué quieres escuchar de un día para otro. Además me resulta que algunos días mi comprensión de escucha va bien y otros va fatal, así que siempre va bien tener algo más fácil de entender para tranquilizarte que no lo has olvidado todo de repente ;)
1 x
Hindernisse und Schwierigkeiten sind Stufen, auf denen wir in die Höhe steigen

Bex
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 77#p157977

Postby Bex » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:03 am

Wow your studying has really paid off...well done :D

Not to steal your log but I have really struggled this year and have done very little the last 2 months. I've not given up but I am taking a break, at least until my head gets into a better space, hopefully soon.

It's really inspiring to read, it is great to see you steaming ahead and congrats on your progress this year so far (so jealous ;) ) .. you've been consistently working on your Spanish and it's paying off.
1 x
Kwiziq
A0: 100 / 100
A1: 100 / 100
A2: 100 / 100
B1: 91 / 100
B2: 53 / 100

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:30 pm

Chmury wrote:Escucho Aquí Hay Dragones ahorita. Ese sitio web destaca perfectamente una de las cosas mejores de emprender el castellano; que hay tantos recursos de los que disfrutar, que nunca vas a agotarlos ni quedarte sin algo que leer, escuchar o ver.

¡Y que lo digas, hombre! Me sorprende cada día la cantidad de recursos que hay para este idioma. De verdad es asombroso

Así que la escritura es una cosa, ya que tengo tanto tiempo como necesito para escribir algo y si me cuesta expresar algo concreto, siempre puedo buscar ejemplos en la red y averiguar la manera mejor de comunicar lo que sea que quiero decir. Sin embargo la escucha no funciona así y la puedo mejorar muchísimo. Es más, me gusta tener una gama diversa de podcasts de la que elegir, ya que nunca se sabe qué quieres escuchar de un día para otro. Además me resulta que algunos días mi comprensión de escucha va bien y otros va fatal, así que siempre va bien tener algo más fácil de entender para tranquilizarte que no lo has olvidado todo de repente

Sí sí, tienes razón jaja. Y tenemos mucha suerte de que hay muchos podcasts en español. De todo tipo de sabores! jaja. ¿Has oído hablar de Ivoox? Googléalo cuando tengas tiempo, ahí vas a encontrar un montón de podcasts. No sabrás qué hacer con tu tiempo jaja. Soy muy fan de podcasts en ingles. Es una gran manera para pasar el tiempo mientras trabajo o hago mis tareas.

Bex wrote:Wow your studying has really paid off...well done :D

Not to steal your log but I have really struggled this year and have done very little the last 2 months. I've not given up but I am taking a break, at least until my head gets into a better space, hopefully soon.

It's really inspiring to read, it is great to see you steaming ahead and congrats on your progress this year so far (so jealous ;) ) .. you've been consistently working on your Spanish and it's paying off.

Yeah, I have recently fallen in love with the language. I was just way too strict with myself and was lucky enough to find ways to enjoy the language while struggling haha. Watching YouTube videos, reading manga and Netflix are things I can do everyday without pressure. I know it's a bit different for you because you actually live in Spain :? I can barely voice chat with people online haha. And after every voice chat I always think of a thousand ways of how I could have phrased something better! Can't imagine scenarios like that IRL. I hope you are enjoying your break and I am anxiously awaiting your return. And thanks for the kind words :D
2 x

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:52 pm

Still trudging forward!

Watched a bunch of Gran Hotel (still with Spanish subs). The show is still pretty ridiculous at times but I am kinda sad that I reached the final season, 22 episodes to go! Oof, I'd be lost without the subtitles. The way that some Spaniards, can, without stuttering once, use so many words and tenses in 1 or 2 sentences - it blows my mind. Sometimes I pause and try to repeat what I have heard but my mouth is no where near used to that speed. There are many times when sentences just fly past me lol. A lot of times I miss some of the plot :?

I've cut back on my cartoons to make more time for reading. Just focusing now (focusing is a strong word lol) on Avatar: Leyenda de Aang (the Castilian dub) and Dragon Ball Z (the Mexican dub). No subtitles for them unfortunately haha. But the awesome thing is (and slightly sad), I don't know how to put this in words lol, but when I am listening (reading too), there are times when I can understand 90% of of a few sentences and immediately, immediately! I begin translating in my head :( There are times where I'd get mad at myself because I know what is being said but still resort to translating UGH!! It's improving though, slowly but surely.

Been reading as usual. Read two chapters of Hunter x Hunter, DBZ and Avatar episode synopsis' on wikia and finally, yes finally, I finished a graded reader. It was a B1 graded reader. I really struggled at times but it was a good struggle if that makes sense lol. Been exposed to many new phrases and words but could follow the plot. Win-win. The 3 books I am reading now are a bunch of detective books called "Lola Lago". It's about a female detective and her agency solving a bunch of ridiculous cases. Awesome thing is that these books are/were used for DELE/2nd language education in some parts of Europe. Yesterday I found out that one of the books had been adapted to video for Spanish students :shock: It was equally as ridiculous, even more so haha

Then I did some random stuff. Listened to two episodes of Gran Apagón, watched a few episodes Disenchanted (new Netflix cartoon) in Mexican Spanish (when there is a new cartoon or anime on Netflix I just can't resist watching one or two episodes lol) and I also listened to some Argentinian Spanish podcasts on Lingq. The Rioplatense is the cutest accent I have ever heard, ever! It's now my third favourite accent behind the Castilian accent and Andalusian accent. I don't like to choose favourites because I think I love all accents! except Chile, yeah... they... yeah....no.

I have been trying to expose myself to more Andalusian/Caribbean/Canarian Spanish as of late. Just a little bit, because it's probably the toughest accent for me to comprehend. I discovered a Puerto Rican podcast called En Serio. It's a pop culture podcast where they discuss a little bit of everything. Also watched 1 episode of Mar de Plástico (with Spanish subtitles). The Andalusian accent is truly a beautiful thing lol, how they are understood by other people always amazes me. The show seems pretty good, very good even. I think James29 mentioned that the quality of the plot dips a bit later on, but I don't mind really. Looking forward to watching it when my comprehension is better!

In order to improve my writing I have made a Word doc in which I store all the weird words, phrases and grammar points that I come across. As soon as I have 10, I will write a short paragraph about and give it to my friend for correction. I started doing this last Thursday and I am aiming to do it at least 2 times a week. These are some words/phrases/grammar points that I have found while reading and listening.

* Hacer alarde - to show off/flaunt/brag | La mujer borracha que hace alarde de su cuerpo.
    * dado el caso - been the case | Hasta esta mañana no se había dado el caso.
    * regañar - to scold | ¿Por qué padre siempre me regaña?
    * Sentar mal - to disagree with (normally used with food, beverages, medicine even clothes) | Anoche me sentó mal la cena. Tengo un poco de diarrea.
    * Bizco – cross eyed | Los bizcos no ven en tres dimensiones
    * Más bien - rather | Encuentro la decoración aquí más bien inquietante
    * 'No es que' gets the subjunctive | Es decir, no es que haya un problema. (this is a weird one for me because even though I have seen it w/o the subj., most of the time I have seen it with the subj. I don't even know why it gets the subjunctive lol!)
    * Para colmo - to top it all | Y para colmo, hoy lo pesqué saliendo de tu oficina.
    * ni qué nada (one of my favourite phrases) - my ass! | ¡Qué barato ni qué nada! Cuesta más de $5000 / ¡Qué mi vida ni qué nada! (Don't call me my love!)

I am sure doing this regularly is sure to help my writing and help with me memorising new phrases.

Oh! I found a very funny video about some of the typical phrases Spaniards use. There are English subs as well. The first guy in the video has your typical Andalusian accent :D

Until next time! Thanks for reading.
4 x

vyxr
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (B1? B1.5?)

Postby vyxr » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:50 pm

I like your idea of keeping a list and making a paragraph after so many words or phrases. I’ve tried making vocabulary / phrase lists before for things I was reading but I never did anything with what I wrote down, so it didn’t help me. I will try writing paragraphs next time!
3 x

Sandía
White Belt
Languages: English (N); Spanish

Postby Sandía » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:54 am

Jaleel10 wrote:I have been spamming AuronPlay videos as usual. He is easily my favourite Youtuber and I can watch several of the same videos over and over because they are so entertaining. I will share one of his prank calls. It's always my goto when I am feeling down haha

I check out this video on youtube and couldn't stop laughing!! I've watched several now and really enjoy them. They are great for language learning since half of the video has Spanish subs and they repeat what the other person said so often. Plus if you read through the comments many people quote their favorite lines. Thanks for sharing this!!
1 x

Return to “Language logs”