What are some good native language listening resources with transcripts?

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Kevin
White Belt
Languages: English (N)

What are some good native language listening resources with transcripts?

Postby Kevin » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:34 pm

The main two that I am aware of are lyrics training which is pretty good since it is all native material spoken at real native pace. And I also have seen news in slow for different languages, but I have heard that it might be a tad bit too slow and not accurate of the speed of most native speakers.

I would really like to get practice with the native speed sounds so I was looking for something that could be used with practicing listening but would also preferably like to have a transcript of it to see exactly what I was hearing.

Are there any recommendations for native materials with transcripts?
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: What are some good native language listening resources with transcripts?

Postby rdearman » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:37 pm

https://librivox.org/

Public domain audio books read in different languages and you can download the book they are reading also.

Here is the search for French books:

https://librivox.org/search?title=&auth ... m=advanced
3 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Chung
Blue Belt
Languages: SPEAKS: English*, French
STUDIES: Hungarian, Italian, Ukrainian
OTHER: Czech, German, Polish, Slovak
STUDIED: Azeri, BCMS/SC, Estonian, Finnish, Korean, Latin, Northern Saami, Russian, Slovenian, Turkish
DABBLED: Bashkir, Chuvash, Crimean Tatar, Inari Saami, Kazakh, Kyrgyz, Latvian, Lithuanian, Meadow Mari, Mongolian, Romanian, Tatar, Turkmen, Tuvan, Uzbek

Re: What are some good native language listening resources with transcripts?

Postby Chung » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:16 pm

Try LangMedia.

The link to CultureTalk Senegal has video interviews of Senegalese speaking in French or English about aspects of Senegalese culture. The interviews in French have transcripts with translations to English.

The links to "Language by Country" have short videos of everyday life in the Francophonie. The videos with dialogues or interactions among native speakers have transcripts in French with translations to English.

These are quite old (dating from before 2005) and the speech isn't always easy to detect. However, this isn't that bad if you want to see how much you understand when there are more distractions and environmental noise.

There's also Ma France from the BBC which is meant for someone who's no longer a total beginner. The videos need Flash to be active and have subtitles in French and English (you can switch them off) in addition to downloadable transcripts of all videos in .pdf. The videos are quite interesting and cover many aspects of everyday life from grocery shopping to dating.
4 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”