Ani's 2018 Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Peluche
Orange Belt

Re: Ani's 2018 Log

Postby Peluche » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:50 am

Ani wrote:Hmm I can't find a sample link on that page?

Click on Downloads.

Portuguese will be easier to learn than Italian. True story.
0 x

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:00 am

Gemuse wrote:
Ani wrote:Hmm I can't find a sample link on that page?

Click on Downloads.

Portuguese will be easier to learn than Italian. True story.

I can understand a bit, and infer a little more because the dialogs are pretty basic.
IDK . I could understand Italian up until about 10 years ago even if I haven't spoken it for about 10 more years than that.. it might count for something in the end.
1 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Peluche
Orange Belt

Postby Peluche » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:30 am

Ani wrote:I did used to speak

:mrgreen: :?
Toddler(s) effect?
0 x

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:36 am

Gemuse wrote:

Toddler(s) effect?

Meh.. I consider that a perfectly valid construction :)
3 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Xmmm
Blue Belt
Languages: ru it tr

Postby Xmmm » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:52 am

Ani wrote:
Gemuse wrote:

Toddler(s) effect?

Meh.. I consider that a perfectly valid construction :)

I also consider that valid, even if it's somewhat uncommon. 'did' is there for emphasis, or if your veracity is being challenged.
3 x

Ещё раз сунешь голову туда — окажешься внутри. Поняла, Фемида? -- аигел

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:11 am

Almost finished with season 3 of Good Witch. Guess I just need some really banal tv to get me to binge. I think this makes over 35h in a week. It's close to that but I lose track of days and maybe it was more like 10 days. Idk. I feel like my speech is greatly improved this week and I'm back to thinking in French in my head most of the time. Or rather, talking to myself in French most of the day. I don't know if I really think most often in any language so to be sure to be "in French" I have to deliberately think of things or have fictional conversations.

Dropped my streak on Clozemaster just so it wouldn't go to my head lol.

Edit:
Think that last part of my post was a little too personal so <clip> The gist was -- might get some French convo tomorrow!
4 x

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:34 am

Oof I fell to page 4!

Not much to report. Not much studying I think, or nothing interesting. Some health problems with some people I am close to might mean less time studying & less posting right now.. or it might mean I'm glued to the forum since this is my stress release :-p

Either way my goals have just been bumped down several notches. I guess we'll just see what happens.
2 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:38 pm

Thinking of you! Hope everything comes out ok.
2 x
Corrections appreciated.

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:43 am

MamaPata wrote:Thinking of you! Hope everything comes out ok.

Thanks! I'm trying to focus on being grateful that I have people in my life that I care enough about to be worried/wrapped up in their struggles and also in a position to help. I could go through life with no friends and no family -- I'd have no one to lose and no one to worry about, but I certainly wouldn't choose that path. I think gratitude might be the only cure for fear :)

Also now I need to learn Romanian. :-/

Started reading a book that's been translated from Romanian. The English title is "cancer, my love". There was a very brief pronunciation guide at the beginning and that's about all it takes for me to be ready to add a new language. I get the letter ș? Yes please.

Really, I've been gently plugging away at all my languages admittedly gravitating toward the mindless activities like Clozemaster, French tv etc. I really want to get more organized with Russian. :-/ I need something external to keep me consistent. I might even be silly enough to try Assimil just because of the built in schedule of it.

Oh and I'm going to gently put in a plug for Like Father on Netflix. You should go watch it ;) Those who've been reading for log for a while might know why but I'm trying very hard not to make my log too personal since the internet is so searchable.

And on a totally different note, I have a friend who has never left the US. She'll be making her first international voyage this November to Kenya. She'll have a layover in either Frankfurt, London, Amsterdam or Paris -- which she'll find out later, it's not up to her -- and she/we were talking about extending her trip and having a mom's vacation for just a few days, or maybe DH comes too and we do two days with her and two more days alone. So.. London or Paris, I think I'd know what we'd do. What does one do for two days in Amsterdam or Frankfurt?
4 x

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2), French (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7786

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:35 pm

Amsterdam: Walk around a charming city with major museums. Eat Rijstafel.

Frankfurt: Head straight to Mainz and visit the Gutenberg museum. It’s amazing! There is also a Chagall chapel. Otherwise, I have no idea.
2 x
Grammaire progressive du français -
niveau debutant
: 60 / 60

Grammaire progressive du francais -
intermédiaire
: 25 / 52

Pimsleur French 1-5
: 3 / 5

Return to “Language logs”