Learning With Text (LWT) hosting

Discuss technical problems and features here
zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Learning With Text (LWT) hosting

Postby zenmonkey » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:46 am

There has been a request to have LWT hosted on this site or elsewhere.

Looking at the software and licensing it is fully in the public domain and can even be commercially used.
It seems relatively easy to set up in its own subdomain but we'd need to write/edit a bridge.
Once et up, it is also a service that will require some administration work to maintain databases, hosting, etc...

If the non-profit is set up and the "powers that be" are interested in adding this on for free or for a minimum nominal (non-proft?) fee for admin, let's talk.
1 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Learning With Text (LWT) hosting

Postby rdearman » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:10 am

zenmonkey wrote:There has been a request to have LWT hosted on this site or elsewhere.

Looking at the software and licensing it is fully in the public domain and can even be commercially used.
It seems relatively easy to set up in its own subdomain but we'd need to write/edit a bridge.
Once et up, it is also a service that will require some administration work to maintain databases, hosting, etc...

If the non-profit is set up and the "powers that be" are interested in adding this on for free or for a minimum nominal (non-proft?) fee for admin, let's talk.

We seem to be cross-posting at the same time. :)

LWT isn't so much of a problem technically but rather legally. The administration work comes around by policing copyrighted material. Personally I would prefer we create a github page which takes the latest LWT and makes a docker instance for people to load. It would be easier to get people to "double-click install" docker on windows and then run the LWT docker instance. Then the legality of the material is down to them, not us.

I don't have anything against the idea, just not prepared to do all the manual legwork to police copyrights.
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:42 am

Is copyright a problem when only the person uploading the material has access to it? Readlang allows you to upload copyrighted material, just not to make it public. And with LWT there’s no point in having any of the material public anyway, since the point of LTW is that it is personalized to you. You add the definitions yourself.
2 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.

Postby zenmonkey » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:55 am

Brun Ugle wrote:Is copyright a problem when only the person uploading the material has access to it? Readlang allows you to upload copyrighted material, just not to make it public. And with LWT there’s no point in having any of the material public anyway, since the point of LTW is that it is personalized to you. You add the definitions yourself.

This was my understanding, and what I posted in the other thread. I thought one was NOT sharing documents. No different than my posting a file into my private email on line. How is someone going to see what is in my own space?

Or are books shared in LWT?
1 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:59 am

zenmonkey wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:Is copyright a problem when only the person uploading the material has access to it? Readlang allows you to upload copyrighted material, just not to make it public. And with LWT there’s no point in having any of the material public anyway, since the point of LTW is that it is personalized to you. You add the definitions yourself.

This was my understanding, and what I posted in the other thread. I thought one was NOT sharing documents. No different than my posting a file into my private email on line. How is someone going to see what is in my own space?

Or are books shared in LWT?

Benny Lewis hosted it for a while and documents weren’t shared. Everyone had their own private area. I think the problem and reason he stopped was that it used up a lot of server space or something.
2 x

arthaey
Brown Belt
Languages: :
EN (native);
ES (adv receptive, int productive);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3864&view=unread#unread

Postby arthaey » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:19 am

I seem to recall reading that LWT "out of the box" ends up with pretty abismal performance for multiple users with many texts. Benny's version was modified to be a better multiuser experience, but he still had trouble with it.
0 x
Posts in: FrenchGermanHungarianSpanish
NaNoWriMo: 10,000 words
Corrections welcome in any language; I prefer an informal register.

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby zenmonkey » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:19 am

arthaey wrote:I seem to recall reading that LWT "out of the box" ends up with pretty abismal performance for multiple users with many texts. Benny's version was modified to be a better multiuser experience, but he still had trouble with it.

Yep, still very resource dependent.

Because of that and because it is very slow to get any development published onto the site, I’ve stopped thinking about adding services or function here until that is straightned out.
0 x

arthaey
Brown Belt
Languages: :
EN (native);
ES (adv receptive, int productive);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3864&view=unread#unread

Postby arthaey » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:50 pm

zenmonkey wrote:until that is straightned out.

If it hasn't been a priority by now, I doubt the main LWT dev has it high on their TODO list. If we want this, someone from our community would probably have to do the work of understanding the codebase and the performance problem enough to actually fix it. :/
1 x
Posts in: FrenchGermanHungarianSpanish
NaNoWriMo: 10,000 words
Corrections welcome in any language; I prefer an informal register.

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”