Ani's 2018 Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Re: Ani's 2018 Log

Postby Ani » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:30 am

Expugnator wrote:
Ani wrote:I've been meaning to ask here whether anyone had resources for Greek handwriting as the ones for my son's course are terribly inadequate and I've put off making him do it.
I started writing a new post and decided on one last google... Of course I found what I needed :-p

https://www.foundalis.com/lan/hw/grkhandw.htm

Oh thank you for this! I've been needing it for a while, looks like I stopped at a previous Google search :)

I will try adopting the most common forms. I'd also like to learn actual cursive with ligatures, even if it's not used anymore.

Glad it is helpful to someone else! I liked the cursive too and was thinking about teaching it to my son that way. He memorizes spelling so much better with cursive. It seems like a technique that could be applied to benefit language learning.

Morgana wrote:
Other than that I actually like Colloquial. Dialogue 3 of unit 1 is possibly my favourite so far, mostly for the tone of voice/stress the actors used. I don't think they intended it to be funny in the way(s) I found it funny, possibly they didn't intend it to be funny at all, possibly I just have a bad sense of humour :lol:

Edit: I should have said that they do explain the nominative single/definite/plural/plural+definite before unit 4, at least.

Thanks I just took a look at it online -- it'll probably take over two weeks for it to get to me and ain't nobody got that kinda time. Looks like it will be exactly what I need. I was able to read the first couple dialogues except for a few gaps and the exercises are exactly what I was hoping for.
I think this will be the perfect thing and then I'll get back to IOL and Vitlu læra íslensku.
0 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Postby cjareck » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:46 am

Ani wrote:I'm having a similar problem in Russian except that I've gone over the case tables, but just don't have anything memorized or terribly clear. I wonder if I can apply the Dowling Method to Russian? But unfortunately I don't know enough about Russian to know if it's sensible or gives similar effect.

Here is a reference to the Dowling Method
http://jonathanaquino.com/latin/index.p ... w&id=about
I am mostly thinking of steps 1 & 2, because I am not sure if there is a Russian equivalent to Lingua Latina, but graded readers might serve for step 3.

I am not sure if learning tables is a right way of learning Russian. I remember that when I was taking private lessons in Russian, I mobilised myself and memorised some. Now I not only do not recognise them but also do not know which they were ;) I like the FSI approach much more - there are also some conjugations in Hebrew - you have to repeat them as long as the word with bad ending sounds not right. I have easier with Russian than you since this is a Slavic language and most of the mechanics are very similar only with different words/endings.

Latin was always learned in a specific way since this is a dead language. I had a sad story as a proof. A friend of mine has an MA in Latin. When his grandfather was dying from Alzheimer (probably I do not remember exactly), he not only did not recognise his relatives but also forgot the Polish language. He spoke Latin, and this friend of mine was the only one who could communicate with him. But his was an effect of an education in a Polish middle school in the interwar period.
2 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:30 am

cjareck wrote:I am not sure if learning tables is a right way of learning Russian. I remember that when I was taking private lessons in Russian, I mobilised myself and memorised some. Now I not only do not recognise them but also do not know which they were ;) I like the FSI approach much more - there are also some conjugations in Hebrew - you have to repeat them as long as the word with bad ending sounds not right. I have easier with Russian than you since this is a Slavic language and most of the mechanics are very similar only with different words/endings.

Latin was always learned in a specific way since this is a dead language. I had a sad story as a proof. A friend of mine has an MA in Latin. When his grandfather was dying from Alzheimer (probably I do not remember exactly), he not only did not recognise his relatives but also forgot the Polish language. He spoke Latin, and this friend of mine was the only one who could communicate with him. But his was an effect of an education in a Polish middle school in the interwar period.

I appreciate your feedback on the Dowling Method applied to Russian. I guess I'll abandon that idea :) I actually hadn't thought of FSI because the French basic course picks up so fast, I am really really far from being able to do an equivalent in Russian. After you mentioned it, I checked to see if they have a "Fast" course and they do! The Fast course looks much more reasonable to start. I might try it after the Sputnik text I just got or if I get stuck.

That's a really interesting story. The brain is so fascinating in how it stores information and can retrieve things at the oddest times and situations.
_-----_------_-------_

Over the last three weeks everyone in my house has been sick. It started with the baby, then the next youngest and so on. Two days after the last was better, the next came down with it. My husband got it last. I thought I was free and clear since I had be caring for the littles from the beginning and had been fine. Well nope! Two days after DH got better, I'm sick. :-p Honestly this is the sort of thing that makes the case for malevolent gods over germ theory.

I made it through school with the kids before diving back into bed. Lots of low key studying happening today. I've touched on almost all my resources and I'll lay in bed and read or watch in some language for the rest of the night.

Sitting here today I realized why I got so much study done two years ago and why I can't seem to get the hours in now (well also I had one less kid). A couple years ago I was really sick for 8 months and a bit more recovering. Pretty big dose of gratitude to realize how well I've been lately. Can't really complain about that even if it means less reading and studying in general.
4 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

aravinda
Green Belt
Languages: .

Postby aravinda » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:40 am

Ani wrote:I've been meaning to ask here whether anyone had resources for Greek handwriting as the ones for my son's course are terribly inadequate and I've put off making him do it.
I started writing a new post and decided on one last google... Of course I found what I needed :-p
https://www.foundalis.com/lan/hw/grkhandw.htm

I know this comes late and you have already found what you want. I was meaning to mention the following resources but I forgot. I used this site for writing practice when I dabbled in Ancient Greek sometime back. Of course, it's NT Greek not modern Greek but I guess one could you use it for writing practice. Everything is explained nicely in Lesson 1 and there are worksheets for writing practice.
https://www.inthebeginning.org/ntgreek/lesson1/

Also, there's this small book (again Ancient Greek) which I own but never used:
https://www.amazon.fr/Petit-cahier-décr ... iture+grec
Having not studied Modern Greek I'm not sure how useful they are though.
As there's no preview of the book, I have attached a few images:
Edited a couple of times to correct typos. And the book is in French.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4 x

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:58 am

aravinda wrote:..

Thank you so much for taking the time to post that!! That looks really great. I love that workbook. I'll have to stick it on my wish list for myself or for my son if his materials fall short, or he decides for sure he wants to head toward ancient Greek.
1 x

Denzagathist
Yellow Belt
Languages: .
• N: English
• C: German, French, Spanish, Croatian, Greek
• B: Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Swedish, Turkish, Japanese
• A: Persian, Mandarin
• Dormant: Dutch, Romanian, Polish

Postby Denzagathist » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:20 am

aravinda wrote:I know this comes late and you have already found what you want. I was meaning to mention the following resources but I forgot. I used this site for writing practice when I dabbled in Ancient Greek sometime back. Of course, it's NT Greek not modern Greek but I guess one could you use it for writing practice.
[...]
Having not studied Modern Greek I'm not sure how useful they are though.

Modern and Ancient Greek both use the exact same alphabet, so if all your son needs is to practice the letters then those resources should be just fine, even though some words will be different. The only difference in Modern Greek orthography is that there are fewer diacritics; there is only one accent mark used (΄, άέήίόύώ, Ά Έ Ή Ί Ό Ύ Ώ) to indicate the position of stress, as opposed the to numerous types used in Ancient Greek to mark pitch accents, and the "breathing marks" are no longer used at all.

For example, using some of the words in the pictures that aravinda posted:
Ancient: ἱστορία Modern: ιστορία
Ancient: τραγῳδία Modern: τραγωδία
Ancient: Ἀθῆναι Modern: Αθήνα

ΕDIT: Forgot to mention that Modern Greek does occasionally also use a diaeresis (¨, ϊϋ) in order to indicate that two adjacent unstressed vowels do not form a diphthong*, e.g. παιδάκι /peˈðaki/ 'small child', vs. παϊδάκί /paiˈðaki/ 'cutlet (of meat)'. The diaeresis can also combine with the stress mark (΅) if the second of the two vowels is also stressed: e.g. ταΐζω /taˈizo/.
(* Not a real diphthong in the technical sense. In the context of Modern Greek orthography, it means two vowel letters that jointly form one vowel sound when written next to one another, e.g. α /a/ + ι /i/ = αι /e/.)
5 x

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:24 am

Denzagathist wrote:Modern and Ancient Greek both use the exact same alphabet, so if all your son needs is to practice the letters then those resources should be just fine, even though some words will be different. The only difference in Modern Greek orthography is that there are fewer diacritics; there is only one accent mark used (΄, άέήίόύώ, Ά Έ Ή Ί Ό Ύ Ώ) to indicate the position of stress, as opposed the to numerous types used in Ancient Greek to mark pitch accents, and the "breathing marks" are no longer used at all.

For example, using some of the words in the pictures that aravinda posted:
Ancient: ἱστορία Modern: ιστορία
Ancient: τραγῳδία Modern: τραγωδία
Ancient: Ἀθῆναι Modern: Αθήνα

ΕDIT: Forgot to mention that Modern Greek does occasionally also use a diaeresis (¨, ϊϋ) in order to indicate that two adjacent unstressed vowels do not form a diphthong*, e.g. παιδάκι /peˈðaki/ 'small child', vs. παϊδάκί /paiˈðaki/ 'cutlet (of meat)'. The diaeresis can also combine with the stress mark (΅) if the second of the two vowels is also stressed: e.g. ταΐζω /taˈizo/.
(* Not a real diphthong in the technical sense. In the context of Modern Greek orthography, it means two vowel letters that jointly form one vowel sound when written next to one another, e.g. α /a/ + ι /i/ = αι /e/.)

Great post. This is really helpful to know. Thank you :) I really have no idea what I'm doing "teaching" (more like guiding) Greek and all this information really helps.

---------

Couple days in bed and I got more studying done than in the last month. It's kind of a lame sickness because I'm perfectly fine as long as I lay still for a while, but as soon as I move I remember I'm sick :-/ Hopefully better tomorrow.

I managed 1000 reps on Glossika in... Italian. :-/. 500 in Icelandic. Did a bunch of Icelandic on Clozemaster but it doesn't have TTS on my phone so only the typing is of value I think without it. Have to sit at a computer to get the TTS. Lots of Russian that I talked about in my shiny new Russian log. .. that I should link to.. but I might be too lazy...

Managed a little reading and a little watching Supernatural en français, but not much.
2 x

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Postby cjareck » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:17 am

Ani wrote: Did a bunch of Icelandic on Clozemaster but it doesn't have TTS on my phone, so only the typing is of value I think without it. Have to sit at a computer to get the TTS.

Are you sure? Perhaps a simple trick will help - just open the Clozemaster webpage with your phone's browser and set "stationary mode" (or something like that) in the preferences and "Clozemaster" should "think" that you are working on the computer. I was doing something similar with Duolingo once.
0 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:00 pm

cjareck wrote:
Ani wrote: Did a bunch of Icelandic on Clozemaster but it doesn't have TTS on my phone, so only the typing is of value I think without it. Have to sit at a computer to get the TTS.

Are you sure? Perhaps a simple trick will help - just open the Clozemaster webpage with your phone's browser and set "stationary mode" (or something like that) in the preferences and "Clozemaster" should "think" that you are working on the computer. I was doing something similar with Duolingo once.

On my phone I use the app, not the browser and it says "TTS not supported on your device" just for Icelandic. I guess this is because I don't have an Icelandic TTS voice installed. Haven't been able to figure out where to get one.
0 x

eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Postby eido » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:00 pm

You found Supernatural? Yay! I wonder if Sam and Dean have lovely voices in French. With a language like French and a good voice, it would be a dynamite combo.
1 x

Return to “Language logs”