The Super Challenge - discussion thread 2018/2019

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
brilliantyears
Green Belt
Languages: Dutch, English
Active: Japanese (JLPT N2~N1), Russian (B1)
Maintaining: German (?)
Low-key: Ainu, Mandarin (A2?)
Dropped: Arabic, Korean, French, Latin, classical Manchu, Norwegian, SLN
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19020

Re: The Super Challenge - discussion thread 2018/2019

Postby brilliantyears » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:03 am

If you get Unknown as a title, you may have used the wrong quotation marks. Happened to me a few times when tweeting from a different device.
(Sorry, on a tablet right now so I can't share the correct ones with you, but try copy-pasting from the challenge instructions!)
2 x

Jim
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (intermediate), Spanish (frosty intermediate), Russian (beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5766

Postby Jim » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:33 am

On an iPhone or iPad UK English keyboard, hold down the " key and you get to choose from « » „ “ ” and ". The last one ("), is the one you should use. French, Spanish and Russian keyboards appear to have the same options.
2 x
La hora más oscura es la que viene antes del nacimiento del sol

Merci de corriger mes erreurs !

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:18 am

kulaputra wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:Twitter/SC Website tweeted content recognition issue:

I’ve just begun tweeting (backlog of stuff to tweet as was waiting for the SC website to show only content from the current challenge - thanks for amending this guys!).... anyway my second tweet has not even registered (no idea why! looks fine: @langchallenge I #watched 15 minutes of “La Mante, S1, E4”), and my first tweet is despite tweeting this:
@langchallenge I #listened to 20 minutes of “RFI - Journal en français facile”
is only registering as ‘Unknown’ when I click on my name on the list of participants to go through to see what I’ve watched/read. Thus my one successful tweet is showing as ‘Unknown’ on the SC webpage instead of RFI - Journal en français facile, which is what I tweeted.

I suspect it’s something in my privacy settings on twitter, but am yet to work out what exactly. It was also happening for me towards the end of the last SC, but I didn’t worry about it. Anyone got any experience with resolving this?

Can you link to the tweet?

I couldn’t :( sorry i took so long to answer (tnx for trying to help). I couldn’t figure out how to create a link on my phone without wasting time i didn’t want to waste, sorry.

brilliantyears wrote:If you get Unknown as a title, you may have used the wrong quotation marks. Happened to me a few times when tweeting from a different device.
(Sorry, on a tablet right now so I can't share the correct ones with you, but try copy-pasting from the challenge instructions!)

You are indeed correct, but serpent beat you to it (back a few posts you’ll see her helpful post). tnx nonetheless, brilliantyears!

Jim wrote:On an iPhone or iPad UK English keyboard, hold down the " key and you get to choose from « » „ “ ” and ". The last one ("), is the one you should use. French, Spanish and Russian keyboards appear to have the same options.

Awesome! For a small thing, this is a huge help! Thanks Jim! It works exactly as you describe it above ;)

As for #watched, it simply won’t work for me via twitter at all, but as sfuqua pointed out (thank you kindly btw):
sfuqua wrote:#watched doesn't seem to work.
#listened works.

I’m having the same experience, where only #listened works, but that’s good enough :) Thanks again peoples!

Fry a stick before it takes your head clean off ;)
0 x

brilliantyears
Green Belt
Languages: Dutch, English
Active: Japanese (JLPT N2~N1), Russian (B1)
Maintaining: German (?)
Low-key: Ainu, Mandarin (A2?)
Dropped: Arabic, Korean, French, Latin, classical Manchu, Norwegian, SLN
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19020

Postby brilliantyears » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:59 am

Whoops, seems I missed an entire page :lol: Glad it's fixed though!

I just went through my previous updates and fixed the missing updates. Now to accept things are no longer in the correct order :lol:

[edit] By the way, since it was an entire week of updates that was missing, it looks like it's also messed with my streak # :( I had a 10 week streak for Japanese, now I'm down to 4 weeks...
Last edited by brilliantyears on Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2 x

sfuqua
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Bad English: native
Samoan: speak, but rusty
Tagalog: imperfect, but use all the time
Spanish: read
French: read some
Japanese: beginner, obsessively studying
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9248

Postby sfuqua » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:59 am

I wonder why it missed it my tweets. I'll look at them some more.
0 x
荒海や佐渡によこたふ天の川

the rough sea / stretching out towards Sado / the Milky Way
Basho[1689]

Sometimes Japanese is just too much...

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Bot issue

Postby zenmonkey » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:00 am

Bot issue: I have multiple challenges going and it seems it doesn't recognise the language tag. I used #de #german when I tried to post my reading and it placed it as #tibetan.
It also seems it doesn't read the #undo replies.
0 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Re: Bot issue

Postby Brun Ugle » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:42 am

zenmonkey wrote:Bot issue: I have multiple challenges going and it seems it doesn't recognise the language tag. I used #de #german when I tried to post my reading and it placed it as #tibetan.

You posted using the #book tag. It doesn’t work anymore and is always read as Tibetan (bo). Use the #read tag instead. Your #undo tweet didn’t work because you need to put @langchallenge even though you are replying.
4 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Re: Bot issue

Postby zenmonkey » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:17 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:
zenmonkey wrote:Bot issue: I have multiple challenges going and it seems it doesn't recognise the language tag. I used #de #german when I tried to post my reading and it placed it as #tibetan.

You posted using the #book tag. It doesn’t work anymore and is always read as Tibetan (bo). Use the #read tag instead. Your #undo tweet didn’t work because you need to put @langchallenge even though you are replying.

Thanks!!!!!
1 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:37 pm

Thanks from me too. I was trying repeatedly to edit an item, but the bot only reacted when i mentioned it manually, though a reply to your own tweet is also a reply to the bot.
#watched works for me :?
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Komma
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N); learning actively: Japanese (beginner); learning passively: English (probably C1/2), French (false beginner); on halt: Spanish (beginner)
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.org/vi ... =15&t=1067

Postby Komma » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:59 pm

I read somewhere that Assimil can be counted towards reading/audio. Also reading/listening at the same time counts only as reading OR watching, correct?
So, what about reading/listening to each lesson multiple times. Does it then count multiple times, just like reading a book over and over again?
I would probably not count Assimil more than once for reading or audio, but just wondering. Thanks in advance.
0 x
: 38 / 113 Assimil French - passive
: 5 / 40 Language Transfer
: 20 / 81 Le petit Prince
: 0 / 52 Grammaire progressive - intermédiaire
: 0 / 28 Vocabulaire progressf - débutant

Return to “Language Challenges”