Spanish Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Mohave
Orange Belt
Languages: English (Native),
French (enjoying and still learning the language)
Spanish (Beginner)
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.org/vi ... f=15&t=766

Re: Spanish Group

Postby Mohave » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:01 pm

Thank you for all these wonderful recommendations! These are great!

Just as an FYI.... check your local libraries. My small-town library recently started using RBDigital, which includes digital magazines (in addition to books and audiobooks) available for download. I was very surprised to see several Spanish language magazines available - including Muy Interesante and the bi-lingual version of Highlights (which is closer for my current level now)
1 x
Spanish Motivation: Dec 2018 - Costa Rica
Spanish Pimsleur 3: 6 / 30 Assimil: 56 / 100
Spanish Super Challenge Books: 2 / 50 Movies: 0 / 100
French Super Challenge Books: 24 / 100 Movies: 22 / 100

My Goodreads

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Languages: Afrikaans (N), English (N)
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:09 pm

garyb wrote:On a related note, does anyone have any YouTube channels to recommend for humour and colloquial language?

You came to the right man :twisted:

I must admit that I don't know a lot.But the ones I do know, I have grown to love and watch them everyday. Even with me understanding like 60% of what they are saying :lol:

AuronPlay Dude from Barcelona, he mainly does "commentary videos" where he just makes fun of the stupidity that the internet has to offer BUT I am not here to talk about that. I am here to talk about his prank calls, which are the funniest things I have watched on the internet, not only in Spanish but I think ever :lol: I will post my 3 favourites. Hopefully it sends you down a rabbit hole.

AbiPower Very funny youtuber from Andalusia (Sevilla if I am not mistaken). She mostly does monologues and skits. She uses A LOT of slang and speaks so fast lol. But I realised that it would help me in the long run.

Nekojitablog A youtuber from Spain and his Japanese wife. Basically vlogs of their life, struggles, experiences, etc. Very entertaining

Others I enjoy but I don't watch with a lot of frequency.

Wismichu (La especialidad de este youtuber son los vídeos de humor negro)
FortfastWTF (features interviews with the "juventud of españa". Warning: SUPER OBNOXIOUS haha

I hope you enjoy some of them :D
4 x

eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Postby eido » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:03 pm

Jaleel10 wrote:You came to the right man :twisted:

I must admit that I don't know a lot.But the ones I do know, I have grown to love and watch them everyday. Even with me understanding like 60% of what they are saying :lol:

This is what I meant in my log by intellectually stimulating. Why weren't you here my friend
These are what I needed in my life. Gracias por darnos estos. ¿Y qué haríamos sin ti? Nada, ya sabes.
2 x

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:14 am

Another thing

if you go to https://youtube.es/ and click on the trending tab, it shows the videos trending , great for knowing about whats happening in the culture and what-not. Also good for finding new YouTube channels. Proceed with caution.
2 x

garyb
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native: English
Advanced: Italian, French
Intermediate: Spanish
Beginner: German, Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1855

Postby garyb » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:32 am

Thanks, that's great! Prank calls (and similar things like "social experiments") aren't usually my thing but if they're done well they can be very good, and it sounds like these are! The others sound like a good variety. I'll check them out when I have time. Not sure I feel brave enough to go into the trending section ;)
1 x

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:30 pm

For those of you following the World Cup :P

image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Jaleel10 on Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:00 pm

So a few questions I asked on my log that I'll ask here as well, in case some new people see it and can asnwer

I do, however, have one question that I haven't been able to get answered to my satisfaction -- when is the simple present used as a progressive. I asked a native-speaking acquaintance on Discord about it, and he said go with the gerund form most of the time, but then PMP used the simple present; I mentioned it to him, and he said he definitely would've leaned towards not using the progressive as a translation. The sentence was Louis llega a la puerta -- Louis is arriving at the gate/door, which he would've parsed as 'Louis arrives at the door', and not with the progressive. He also knows linguistics, so I'm inclined to listen to him, but I dunno. Is it something that has changed that quickly in Spanish, perhaps? I also really need to get my alveolar trill down. I just can't do it, though I can do the uvular one and other ones! It's quite frustrating, and I'm putting off improving the rest of my pronunciation until I can do that. Any tips would be appreciated there, as well.
1 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:34 pm

galaxyrocker wrote:So a few questions I asked on my log that I'll ask here as well, in case some new people see it and can asnwer

I do, however, have one question that I haven't been able to get answered to my satisfaction -- when is the simple present used as a progressive. I asked a native-speaking acquaintance on Discord about it, and he said go with the gerund form most of the time, but then PMP used the simple present; I mentioned it to him, and he said he definitely would've leaned towards not using the progressive as a translation. The sentence was Louis llega a la puerta -- Louis is arriving at the gate/door, which he would've parsed as 'Louis arrives at the door', and not with the progressive. He also knows linguistics, so I'm inclined to listen to him, but I dunno. Is it something that has changed that quickly in Spanish, perhaps? I also really need to get my alveolar trill down. I just can't do it, though I can do the uvular one and other ones! It's quite frustrating, and I'm putting off improving the rest of my pronunciation until I can do that. Any tips would be appreciated there, as well.

I don’t feel confident in giving an answer to the grammar question, but here are some things that helped me to develop an alveolar trill: The difficulty lies in learning to keep the right muscle tension in your tongue. You have to have enough tension to hold your tongue up in the right position, but you have to keep the tip relaxed enough to flutter. I found it helped to practice while lying on my back. In this position, gravity helps to keep your tongue in position and you can get used to the feel of the trill. In the FSI Programmatic course, they described saying “tarde” as being like saying “totter they” really fast. That helped me a bit. I also found it helped to “bounce” off another letter, like a d or t. So, I started by working on making dr + vowel or tr + vowel sounds. Gradually, I learned to make the rr sound by itself before a vowel, and then the rr between two vowels, though for a long time I had trouble making the trill after an e.

Don’t give up. It took me a few years to get it, but now it’s easy.
1 x

kulaputra
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Kannada (semi-native, illiterate), Spanish (~C1), Hindi (A2 speech, B1 comprehension), French (A1 speech, A2 listening, >=B1 reading), Mandarin Chinese (~A1)

Postby kulaputra » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:09 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:
galaxyrocker wrote:So a few questions I asked on my log that I'll ask here as well, in case some new people see it and can asnwer

I don’t feel confident in giving an answer to the grammar question, but here are some things that helped me to develop an alveolar trill: The difficulty lies in learning to keep the right muscle tension in your tongue. You have to have enough tension to hold your tongue up in the right position, but you have to keep the tip relaxed enough to flutter. I found it helped to practice while lying on my back. In this position, gravity helps to keep your tongue in position and you can get used to the feel of the trill. In the FSI Programmatic course, they described saying “tarde” as being like saying “totter they” really fast. That helped me a bit. I also found it helped to “bounce” off another letter, like a d or t. So, I started by working on making dr + vowel or tr + vowel sounds. Gradually, I learned to make the rr sound by itself before a vowel, and then the rr between two vowels, though for a long time I had trouble making the trill after an e.

Don’t give up. It took me a few years to get it, but now it’s easy.

If it helps, the Spanish /e/ is lowered to [ɛ] before /r/
1 x
Iha śāriputra: rūpaṃ śūnyatā śūnyataiva rūpaṃ; rūpān na pṛthak śūnyatā śunyatāyā na pṛthag rūpaṃ; yad rūpaṃ sā śūnyatā; ya śūnyatā tad rūpaṃ.

--Heart Sutra

Please correct any of my non-native languages, if needed!

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:38 am

galaxyrocker wrote: when is the simple present used as a progressive. I asked a native-speaking acquaintance on Discord about it, and he said go with the gerund form most of the time, but then PMP used the simple present; I mentioned it to him, and he said he definitely would've leaned towards not using the progressive as a translation. The sentence was Louis llega a la puerta -- Louis is arriving at the gate/door, which he would've parsed as 'Louis arrives at the door', and not with the progressive. He also knows linguistics, so I'm inclined to listen to him, but I dunno. Is it something that has changed that quickly in Spanish, perhaps?

Just quoting you because I also want to know the answer. We had a similar discussion in our Discord server but we couldn't come to a concrete conclusion.

I have been reading Butt and Benjamin but I still am not entirely sure. If you want I can post screenshots on the chapter(s) that deals with this topic? Maybe you can make more sense of it than I could.
1 x

Return to “Study Groups”