Ani's 2018 Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Re: Ani's 2018 Log

Postby Ani » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:13 am

My mom and dad left. It was super nice to have them here. I had a major break which was very very needed. I was falling apart. I feel a lot better now and .....
We're starting school again tomorrow! (Uhgh, yay, eye roll.. all emotions wrapped in one)
We decided on a very long trip to Florida in the fall, so to make that more peaceful, I need to do school solidly for the next 12 weeks to get our first term done.
I interviewed the kids yesterday. #1 is sticking with Greek and Middle Egyptian. #2 is going back to French because of Lingodeer. I told her she has to do a real curriculum too. #3 decided to do Greek with his brother. I wasn't really going to make him do a language because he's just learning to read in English, but he's pretty excited. Who'da thunk I'd have two kids studying Greek...

This Saturday is the bastille day picnic for the immersion school. Somehow I volunteered to help with organizing games?? My only thought was a bilingual scavenger hunt.. I don't know.

Besides the start of homeschooling, I'm doing AFATT this week in a anticipation of French conversation on Saturday...
7 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:14 am

Musical chairs with French music? A paperwork table with quizzes, wordsearches, etc?
1 x
Corrections appreciated.

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:04 am

MamaPata wrote:Musical chairs with French music? A paperwork table with quizzes, wordsearches, etc?

Oh those are good ideas. Thanks. I don't know if we'll have chairs but there's a good chance. We'll be out in a park but I'm assuming someone is planning on setting up something since there will be food... Definitely a craft table with papers/puzzles/crayons... Maybe bead necklaces? Red, white, blue and letters so you can spell your name or your favorite French word?
1 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:16 pm

Let them eat cake!

See who can eat sone cake fastest?
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Mohave
Orange Belt
Languages: English (Native),
French (enjoying and still learning the language)
Spanish (Beginner)
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.org/vi ... f=15&t=766

Postby Mohave » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:36 pm

Ani - I volunteer with an organization that participates annually in an outdoor festival focused on family & kids. There are a few things with the kids that are popular that you can easily (and cheaply) do:

1) Memory game. Make cards with matching pairs of French words/Pictures (ours are laminated). Shuffle cards and turn so pics are down and lay cards out. Have child turn two cards over at a time to find the matching pair. We have several games of different sets made up.

2) We have a large beach ball with different questions on it. We throw the ball to the kid and where there hands catch the ball, have them answer those questions. You could do something similar with learning colors in French for the younger children.

3) I love the musical chairs and word search ideas!
2 x
Spanish Motivation: Dec 2018 - Costa Rica
Spanish Pimsleur 3: 6 / 30 Assimil: 56 / 100
Spanish Super Challenge Books: 2 / 50 Movies: 0 / 100
French Super Challenge Books: 24 / 100 Movies: 22 / 100

My Goodreads

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:54 pm

Ani wrote:I interviewed the kids yesterday. #1 is sticking with Greek and Middle Egyptian. #2 is going back to French because of Lingodeer. I told her she has to do a real curriculum too. #3 decided to do Greek with his brother. I wasn't really going to make him do a language because he's just learning to read in English, but he's pretty excited. Who'da thunk I'd have two kids studying Greek...

Greek is great! It could have been worse, they could have insisted on learning to play the drums :-D

I don't think learning to read two alphabets would be such a problem, unless he's a kid with special needs, like dyslexia (that it is a different challenge). After all, right now both of the alphabets are more or less foreign to him, so why not pretend he's like a japanese kid, just learning more symbols? :-D
2 x

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:05 pm

Cavesa wrote:
Greek is great! It could have been worse, they could have insisted on learning to play the drums :-D

I see how you feel about furthering musical education. ;)
1 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:23 pm

Xenops wrote:
Cavesa wrote:

Yeah, as an amateur flutist and singer (just flutist during my childhood and teen years). My mum used to make fun of me practicing the high tones, especially the high C (C4 in the european terminology, C7 in the american one) for a few years.

Actually, I tried to convince some of my younger siblings to choose the violin or trumpet, as a sort of a mini revenge :-D

I guess she wished I had been learning Greek instead. :-D
1 x

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:11 pm

Mohave wrote:Ani - I volunteer with an organization that participates annually in an outdoor festival focused on family & kids. There are a few things with the kids that are popular that you can easily (and cheaply) do:

Thanks for the ideas!

Cavesa wrote:
Xenops wrote:
Cavesa wrote:

Yeah, as an amateur flutist and singer (just flutist during my childhood and teen years). My mum used to make fun of me practicing the high tones, especially the high C (C4 in the european terminology, C7 in the american one) for a few years.

Actually, I tried to convince some of my younger siblings to choose the violin or trumpet, as a sort of a mini revenge :-D

I guess she wished I had been learning Greek instead. :-D

Haha I didn't even write about the music portion of the interview. Oldest DS plays some piano and just started guitar so he'll continue both, DD wants to play... the ukulele :-p Its sort of funny. It's actually not a bad instrument for her. She's so tiny I'd have to buy her a guitar the size of a ukulele anyway.

I think you're right about the Greek alphabet. DS is learning to read easily. He's still in early readers but he's probably about a grade level ahead. The books we are using are so gentle. He'll either get it and progress along or he won't.

I really do need to figure out how to write Greek letters on big "learn to write" paper. Both boys really need to do some writing practice but I've just let it slide.

Gosh I'm such a sucker for languages, travels and counties. Every summer a (different) girl from Estonia comes by selling educational books. I totally just bought a rather expensive book more or less because I was enjoying taking to her. She said the national curriculum has them learning English and Finnish in school, but she also learned some Russian and Spanish. They work 6 days a week while they're here which kind of stinks because they don't have much time to travel around. I mean she wasn't complaining about it but I think it stinks.
3 x

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:36 am

I'm having a total freak out over potentially talking to people in real life in French on Saturday. Every last thing that I know I don't know well enough is making me crazy. I've somehow convinced myself that only chance of making French speaking friends rests on perfect concordance des temps :-p

Kind of a shame I didn't feel this much urgency like a year ago when I quit studying and just absorbed a bunch of French. Probably would have been more useful if I had better active grammar.

I have like three days to frantically write out conjugation tables, read through special cases and triggers for the subjunctive.. And do those last 12 units of FSI.. it should only take about 30 hours.....

Actually to help myself along I did Glossika in Russian, Icelandic and Italian. I passed 1000 reps in Icelandic today and 2300 in Italian...

I really don't know the protocol for seeing if someone who is clearly fluent or native in English wants to talk to you in your/their L2. I decided just to start texting one woman in French that I'm arranging games with. Worst that happens is she writes back in English I guess.

Edit: off topic.. DH took this video of brown bears fishing salmon today if anyone is interested. It's pretty cool :) Hopefully it shares ok.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/6CA3K1PQGPbLKgFL9
7 x

Return to “Language logs”