Anki/SRS unbelievers

General discussion about learning languages
Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Re: Anki/SRS unbelievers

Postby Iversen » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:05 pm

Xmmm wrote:Imagine two identical twins who decide to learn the same language but won't be able to practice together because they're kept in solitary confinement and subjected to random electrical shocks for the duration of the experiment. Both finish the duolingo course in 90 days, then they go in separate directions:

1. Twin #1 does anki 30 minutes a day. He creates his own cards.
2. Twin #2 reads simple news articles, childrens books, graded readers and watches dubbed shows including cartoons. In addition he follows bands and tries to decipher song lyrics when he finds stuff he likes.

I think that both twins HATE language learning in any form after 90 days with Duolingo (and random electrical shocks). But let's assume they have survived and still want to continue the experiment. Then the question is what the twins have learnt during that period. If they can read news broadcasts and understand newspaper articles then their passive skills are at a level where they both are ready to do extensive activities, and both would profit from it. If not, then they most likely reason would be that they know too few words and the logical solution would be to do some Anki or wordlists or any other kind of focused vocabulary training you might come up with.

There is one point I would like to stress, namely that you can't just throw all words into one pot. I would not recommend SRS or wordlists for learning grammar words. The most common words are often irregular, and they are used in complicated constructions. Here the best way would be a combination of some kind of grammar study alongside with intensive text studies. I know that some learners hate grammar and pin their faith on discovering the rules along the way - like small children allegedly do. But hey, do small children do that? I guess their parents teach them the basics by repeating sentences endlessly and weeding out errors - and that's also a kind of grammar course. Actually I can't see the point in inventing the rules from scratch when you can cheat and look in a key. To my best knowledge there has NEVER been published any proof that pure discovery from scratch functions better than a combination of cheating and critical evalution.

Then there is a grey zone, where the biggest problem is that the words in the zone are used in unpredictable idioms. You can study them in a structured way, but in the long run I see extensive reading and listening as the key to learning to use the idioms idiomatically - and that includes avoiding those that hardly ever are used. Let me guess... may a couple of thousand words are used in idioms. But personally I only remember idioms if I know what they mean literally, and that means that I still must know the words they contain - so even at this level both Anki and wordlists are definitely relevant.

And the last group, which contains many thousand words... well, I like doing wordlists from a dictionary because I can run through the whole alphabet and decide which words I want to learn. And I do want also to learn supposedly rare words - I have some slightly nerdish hobbies, and for me it is not irrelevant to know words for scientific or cultural oddities. But I also know from experience that it is possible to get through more words in a given time if you don't have to wait for each of them to pop up in something you read or hear. With my weakest and newest languages I mostly do wordlists with words from my reading, but the balance is later changed towards words from dictionaries, simply because I get more from working that way.

And what then about twin two? Actually the real problem with both Anki and wordlists is that they boost your passive vocabulary, and those who try to avoid them may do so because they are more interested in getting a limited, but active vocabulary, and that's definitely a valid reason. But then twin 2 also has to do more than trying to decipher simple news articles, childrens books and graded readers and watch dubbed shows including cartoons.

Kunst196-mini.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x

Xmmm
Blue Belt
Languages: ru it tr

Postby Xmmm » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:27 pm

kulaputra wrote:

This article was both misleading and rather arrogant, bordering on xenophobic. If this person really only learns to read via reading subtitles while listening, how do they know pinyin, which they use in the article? Can they write, with correct stroke order? The author concludes by admitting they barely care about production skills. For anyone who cares to produce Chinese, I'm not sure this is good advice.

The article was also offputting in other ways. What's with the comment about Chinese WWII dramas being boring because they didn't feature the US Army? The world doesn't revolve around America. In general the author seems to really dislike Chinese media. If you have a barely concealed disgust for basically all Chinese TV, why learn Chinese? The author doesn't suggest watching dubbed movies because they are easier (that's common advice on this forum), but rather because they hate Chinese media and believe most people who aren't Chinese ("foreigners," but we can probably safely assume he means Westerners) agree with him. I find this to be arrogant and a reflection of his own myopia rather then an objective evaluation. It's also very essentialist.

Here's a little more info about the guy that is so disrespectful to all things Chinese and doesn't care about production skills.

In 2013, Antonio was accepted into a PhD program at the Shanghai University of Sport. He is on the wrestling team, and is writing his dissertation on Chinese wrestling in Chinese language. In June 2016, Antonio became the first American to receive a PhD in Wu Shu from the Shanghai University of Sport.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonio_Graceffo
1 x

Ещё раз сунешь голову туда — окажешься внутри. Поняла, Фемида? -- аигел

mouse
White Belt
Languages: eng (n), zh, jp

Postby mouse » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:31 pm

Xmmm wrote:

In short: take five hours of classes a week and do lots of passive listening and reading.

Not a particularly useful article, says nothing about flashcards/SRS and says nothing particular about Chinese beyond the rather severe and ignorant comments about Chinese popular culture. And as kulaputra points out, it's clear the author already knows the writing system.
2 x

Uncle Roger
Orange Belt
Languages: Italian (Native), English (as good as you see me write it here?), Norwegian (C1?), French (B2), Swedish (B1?)

Postby Uncle Roger » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:43 pm

Lunatics.
Each and every one of them.
:D

Wanting to learn a language without SRS is like wanting to become Schwarzy without pumping iron at the gym. It's possible, but it's inefficient.

PART of the challenge is very clear. (At least) 3000 headwords for basic fluency (solid B2?) for a European language. Ten words a day for 6 days a week for 50 weeks in one year.
How are you going to tackle that astounding amount of learning/memorisation in that time period and assuming a normally busy life (i.e. fulltime studies or work, daily and weekly chores, friends, a partner, staying fit) but with SRS?

Yes, you might still suck with SRS alone (but it all depends on the content, of course garbage in, garbage out and you'll need significant amounts of listening), just like, again, a body builder could be a shit boxer. But what are the odds of knocking out Mike Tyson if you weigh 60 kgs? You need the physique and the technique to box and you need the sheer, brute knowledge of words and the mental elasticity to speak and understand a foreign language.

How can anyone claim fluency without knowing them goddamn handful of thousand words? And what a better way to learn them fast and using the least amount of your time than SRS?

To conclude: sheer vocabulary is paramount to learning a language, although in itself NOT enough. And whilst somebody figures out the fastest/best way to get to that tipping point where you can "think in the foreign language" and "understand it without translating" etc, I thank every day the friend that made me discover the demonstrably best approach to tackle the less whimsical component of language learning.

Also, there's a thing we seem to forget all the time when judging methodologies and approaches to language studies: circumstances.

I reckon most of us here do it for fun. It's a cultural and intellectual exercise, but ultimately a passion. Hence the need to make it natural, fun, slanted to our interests.
Now take an immigrant moving to a country out of necessity, a refugee, a recalcitrant student of [name any faculty] that has to come grips with a foreign language against his will (B2 English is mandatory in almost any faculty in Italian universities, somethnig whose implications are hard to grasp for people from English speaking countries).
Think of a Chinese/Korean/Japanese student that only wants to nab a one year master's degree in an English speaking country for career purposes back in his country (i.e. 40% of my MSc classmates in England).
The sole idea of "a foreign language" is already near-max annoyance for him/her, so the method may not make a significant difference and effectiveness+efficiency will determine the preference.
4 x
«If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.»
Frank Zappa

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:04 pm

smallwhite wrote:How are grammar drills different from vocab drills? Should we start a thread for grammar drill unbelievers?

I'm almost positive there already is one - or 5. If we really wanted to we could also dig through the archives of the old site as well.
0 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:05 pm

Grumpy-Cats.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

aaleks
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)

Postby aaleks » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:09 pm

Uncle Roger wrote:Wanting to learn a language without SRS is like wanting to become Schwarzy without pumping iron at the gym. It's possible, but it's inefficient.

PART of the challenge is very clear. (At least) 3000 headwords for basic fluency (solid B2?) for a European language. Ten words a day for 6 days a week for 50 weeks in one year.
How are you going to tackle that astounding amount of learning/memorisation in that time period and assuming a normally busy life (i.e. fulltime studies or work, daily and weekly chores, friends, a partner, staying fit) but with SRS?

People are different. Why would I waste my time on making SRS cards or word lists when I can memorize words just by looking them up while reading or listening to native materials? I don't have any numbers, I didn't think I would ever need them, but as far as I remember after the first year of learning English according to testyourvocab.com the size of my vocabulary was something like 10.000 or so words, i.e. I might've had those 3000 headwords by then. And no, I don't think I might have done better with SRS.

Edited: mistakes
Last edited by aaleks on Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7 x

Saim
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Others: Catalan, Serbian, Spanish, Polish, Hungarian, Urdu, French etc.
Main focus: German

Postby Saim » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:30 pm

I used to be an unbeliever, and now I'm a born-again Anki user.

I used to use SRS rather sparingly. It helped as a supplement with more lexically distant languages like Hungarian and Urdu, but even then it was still frustrating because even if I trained recall it mostly just worked for the recognition of word roots and wasn't a foolproof method of developing active vocabulary. For my strongest foreign language (Catalan) I never once used it, but I already knew Spanish (~B2) when I started and was living in the country and using the language every day.

Last year I tried doing a lot of Anki for several different languages, because I thought that it might be part of what was missing from my routine to make it more systematic, and I very slowly moved away from learning individual words to basically just plugging sentences. I really found the isolated words ridiculously boring and I noticed for learning Finnish from scratch they just didn't stick at all -- for Finnish at least I probably would've been better off completely avoiding SRS.

Now I've started only training recognition (no recall because I hate it), and I also record audio of me saying the sentences in the target language. I'm not sure if it's the best method but I feel like it's a fairly good supplement to native media to make sure more structures stick; I think native media works because it is a sort of natural SRS system, but sometimes words don't repeat themselves so if you're not spending four hours a day listening to the language you're not necessarily going to acquire them. For that reason using SRS to train recognition of sentences can be a good artificial way to replicate the process of "natural SRS" (repetition through varied sources). I don't have the time to spend hours a week maintaining my Urdu for example so it's nice to have a system that has me review sentences so that I'm not completely forgetting everything.

I have noticed that after a couple of weeks of doing this I have random words and sentences from the languages I'm working on in my head all the time (and this happens much less when I review isolated words), so I feel like it's working. But fundamentally I think it's been working for me because I enjoy it and it makes me pay more attention to words and structures while listening to native media (if you're doing it as a routine you can start to zone out and listen/read for the gist rather than noticing things you don't know or aren't used to). I also enjoy going through glosbe's bilingual corpus and seeing how words have been translated in the past to find example sentences, but I also study linguistics at uni so YMMV on how interesting that is.
Last edited by Saim on Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
9 x
log

شجرِ ممنوع 152

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:48 pm

I am definitely an unbeliever, simply because they don't work for me. I find them so absolutely mind-numbingly boring that I just quit doing them. I have never used flashcards for Irish, and have tested at B2 and am probably fairly close to C1. I've picked everything up through reading, listening and using the language. I haven't used them for Spanish, either, and still passed the A2 test at the school I attended a few weeks ago (after 2 weeks there learning). I just can't use them because they're so boring, and, for me, it'd be much more 'inefficient' to try to use them instead of just learning the way I'm comfortable with. Which just goes to show that everyone is different and finds different things. Plus, when I did try to use them for Japanese, I just got recognition, and couldn't actually recall them at all. So it did no good apart from reading, and i've lost that because I wasn't interested enough to keep going.

I might try them again when I pick Japanese back up or something, but I seriously doubt it. Hopefully by then there'll be a 'natural method'-esque book that starts with the romaji/kana and a few kanji, then slowly replaces kana with more kanji and furigana at first, before fading those out. That'd be a nice way to go about learning them, at least for reading purposes. And wouldn't involve flash cards at all...
8 x

mouse
White Belt
Languages: eng (n), zh, jp

Postby mouse » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:23 pm

aaleks wrote:People are different.

I think it's probably more that languages are different, as has been said. Learning a new script requires drills — unless you want to progress at a snail's pace — which are more efficient with SRS. Whether you do it with SRS or not, repetition has to be part of your language learning process, so why not (partially) automate it? Personally I think people use the rather dubious concept of 'learning styles' to justify giving up.

Apart from that, as Saim says, SRS is useful for general recognition drills, especially for sentences. I can understand why some might find this boring, though.
1 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”