Haitian Creole Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Re: Haitian Creole Study Group

Postby iguanamon » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:32 am

Decidida wrote:...You are welcome – there seems to be many ways of saying it, with different subtle meanings.
Ou Merite
Pa gen pwoblèm
padekwa
Anyone want to discuss "You are welcome"?

In the sense of welcoming someone to the group, "You are welcome" is none of the above options because they translate to "you're welcome" as in the response to "thank you". If you want to welcome someone, then you should use: "Byenveni" (cognate to French "Bienvenue" and Spanish "Bienvenido/a") or "Byenveni nan group la"/"Welcome to the group" or/oubyen "M ap pran ou ak de bra nan group la"/"Welcome to the group"- literally- "I am taking you with two arms into the group". You can also say: "Mwen ba ou yon bèl akèy"- which also means to welcome (I give you a warm welcome). The Haitian word "akèy" is a derivative form of the word "kè" which is cognate to French "coeur"/"heart". The pronunciation is similar. "Akeyi" is the verb form.
0 x

Decidida
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (sidelined), Haitian Creole (beginner), Latin (forgotten), Ancient Greek (sidelined)

Postby Decidida » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:46 pm

Thank you! I am very hesitant to use canned phrases until i know the deeper meaning. These phrases are loaded.
0 x

Decidida
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (sidelined), Haitian Creole (beginner), Latin (forgotten), Ancient Greek (sidelined)

Postby Decidida » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:25 am

You know you have made some progress in a language, when you choose to argue in it instead of your native language.

I was heavily reliant on a dictionary, but seemed to be holding my own. Google is useless for Creole. It is a little better when i can recognise the pronoun contractions and add a space, between the pronoun and the attached word. But still, the HC Google is nothing like Spanish Google.

My head was cooler. I was the one better able to use the dictionary and grammar notes. I am not a nice person anymore. I have given up on humans and don’t expect much from them. They seldom surprise me or disappoint me. Arguments are mere setting of boundaries. I seem to truly shock and disappoint other people, though. Sigh!
0 x

Decidida
Green Belt

Postby Decidida » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:06 am

I bought a couple dictionaries for my iPad and use them a LOT now. Google for Creole is just SOOOO bad! I am able to be understood more and more. And i can understand more and more, if the person is being careful and strategic about their word choices.

My tech situation has left me so much more reliant on my phone and iPad, and that has helped my Creole in some unexpexted ways.

I need to make serious time for Spanish, today, though. It is hard for me to switch to Spanish after extended Creole immersion.
1 x

Decidida
Green Belt

Postby Decidida » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:39 pm

I think Ogden’s Basic English word list might be helpful to me right now.

http://ogden.basic-english.org/
0 x

Decidida
Green Belt

Postby Decidida » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:50 am

I mentioned earlier than you can borrow Dino Lingo Creole videos for free from Hoopla with a library subscription.

You can subscribe to a large library of childrens text and audio picture ebooks for $29.99 a year, in iphone and google apps.
http://books.dinolingo.com/en/creole-books-for-kids
1 x

Decidida
Green Belt

Postby Decidida » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:24 am

I have such a hard time saying words with r in them.

It is so much easier to read Creole than listen to it. I have progressed enough with texting in Creole that someone is willing to spend some real time conversing with me.

He said all kinds of really encouraging things to me. I needed that. I’m at that stage where i know enough to know how much farther i have to go, and it is daunting. Sure Creole has some “easy” things, but ... every language has its tricky parts and i am banging my head against them, now.

He said i am determined. I laughed and told him that my screen name here is determined in Spanish. Then he laughed and nodded.
0 x

Decidida
Green Belt

Postby Decidida » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:46 pm

I have been struggling to translate Creole words quickly, when I am away from home. This webpages is quickly searchable on my iphone. I just hit “share” and then “search”.

http://www.jewsforshalom.org/Creole-Eng ... dlist.html
0 x

Decidida
Green Belt

Postby Decidida » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:05 am

This blog post is mostly just a review of resources we have already posted
https://burckeri.wordpress.com/resource ... ng-kreyol/
But it led me to one new one, a fifteen-page 3000 word dictionary
http://hashaiti.org/wp-content/uploads/ ... ionary.pdf

As well as there being different words and ways to say something, the multiple spellings and pronunciations of the same word are a challenge. For example "how" translated as "kouman", "kòman", or "konman". Did I miss any? LOL. Maybe "koman"?

And "uit" or "wit" and "kuit" or "kwit".

I shelled out the money for Pawòl Lakay and have the Kindle version of the Valman Dictionary. I am saving up for a hardcopy of the Valdman dictionary. I am using them as the final authority for spelling and grammar, but using some other resources as an introduction.

Pawòl Lakay is not easy to navigate and to use as a reference book! I am having to fill in page numbers to the table of contents. Subheading are barely noticeable. I am going to need to color code this text and add dividers or something. For the money I spent, I resent the amount of time I need to spend taking notes on page numbers.

I had the iphone app to the DinoLingo children's books in Creole, but it stopped working and they gave me a discount for the full website. I really do like the children's books. There are some typos and audios that do not match the books and just mess, but I don't want not to have access to the site, so I need to just chill.

Anyone else actively studying Haitian Creole right now?
2 x

Purangi
Orange Belt
Languages: French, English, Mandarin, Russian, Spanish

Postby Purangi » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:34 am

Decidida wrote:Anyone else actively studying Haitian Creole right now?

I am, although I don't post here. I am working my way through HC DLI at the moment, with a daily dose of Atravè Labib. You can read about my experience in my log. I share many of the issues you raised!

Bon kouraj konpè!
1 x

Return to “Study Groups”