Tea With Tarvos - Tarvos' Log 2019

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Christi
Orange Belt
Languages: Dutch (N), English (C1), German (B1), Korean (high A2-low B1?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=7574

Re: Three-Horned Bull from the Netherworld - Tarvos' Log

Postby Christi » Sat May 12, 2018 3:41 pm

Hi, you don't know me but I just read your last few posts and wanted to wish you good luck and a speedy recovery!

Depression is awful (speaking from experience). Take your time. You are the most important thing right now!
<3
1 x
2020 resolution words learned: 472 / 1000
Pages read at end of 2020: 220 / 1500

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Sun May 13, 2018 1:36 pm

Ah, thank you.

Haven't done much study at all, but I did read a bit more in Tintenherz (I'm like on one-third of the book or so now), have been working a little on my PG presentation and I got an Italian book from my parents that they brought home from Sardinia. It promises to be stunningly difficult, so in other words, I should be fine :D
0 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby tarvos » Wed May 16, 2018 12:54 pm

The last couple days I haven't done much studying at all, just read a bit of German. But I'm going to work on my PG presentation now and see if I can add some new Spanish words to my vocabulary :)
0 x

Is a girl.

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby tarvos » Fri May 18, 2018 4:17 pm

Been practicing my PG presentation today, corrected a few things, but it will be good. You have to go through these routines to get better, even I have to do that when speaking Spanish. There will be another go-through next week, as I haven't had time to really prepare the actual talk, just the presentation. We timed it and it was good when it comes to that. I'll tinker with it next week.

I booked a lesson for Italian (just a refresher for the PG) and I've decided to have some fun with Finnish (Funland as my brother calls it) after the PG. I think my teacher is actually a Finland-Swede but I don't hugely need the Swedish practice, I'm fine when it comes to Borkspeak.

I don't know much about Finnish from my three previous lessons, except that I was rather good at the pronunciation and shit at everything else. Gotta find my old Finnish documents. And I am taking back the conversation guide I lent to my brother when he did his Erasmus in Finland. He doesn't plan on learning more Finnish.
0 x

Is a girl.

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby tarvos » Thu May 24, 2018 7:27 pm

Not really done much because there was fuck all to do this week and I really have other priorities. Language learning is still a bit on the back burner, though I'll probably push on with Finnish after the Gathering (and practice loads of my fluent languages there).

Besides that I have to spend tomorrow morning at the hospital and tomorrow afternoon with my social worker so I'll probably just be too tired for anything (going to hospital really takes all the energy out of me because I have to go early in the morning and can't get my usual sleep routine to work).
0 x

Is a girl.

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby tarvos » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:10 am

I haven't posted in this log for a while because I have been busy and gone to the Polyglot Gathering where I met loads of old friends and a few new people who should become friends in the future.

I didn't do as much socializing as last year because I've noticed that this year I was much more tired and there was a lot of shit going on with the travel (they cancelled my plane, so I stood up poor brilliantyears at the airport). I arrived on Wednesday and I was so exhausted I could sleep through gunfire. Unfortunately people didn't allow me the luxury because by now everyone knows me at the Gathering and the entire world wants a piece of me. So the moment I got in I was held up by thirty people who wanted to say hi to me. Normally I am okay with that but not on 4 hours of sleep (if even that) and a stress level through the roof.

(I'm flattered people think I'm the queen, but I'd rather wear the princess's tutu).

I also didn't go to as many talks this year. Some of them were really nice (*coughmyowncough*). I didn't think this year's programme was as good as last year's so I skipped a fair few in order to socialize with old friends. I certainly liked the calligraphy workshop because it's a very calming thing to do (nice rec there brilliantyears!) and druckfehler's Persian through singing was also awesome. The other thing was the oppressive heat which was giving me panic attacks. God that really put a dampener on things for me.

I got to practice most of my languages, mostly English, Spanish, French, German, Czech, and Dutch, but I think I've spoken most or all of them as I don't really have a shortage of people to find that want to talk to me.

I'm happiest with my talk, which got an extraordinary reception (and some people remembered my talk from last year too which was also very well received). I prepared well, but what I really think helps for these things is to know how to present, and that's just something I've practiced often enough to be reasonably good at by now. (I don't want to say it out loud, but a spontaneous sense of humour helps as well :P)

My Czech has definitely improved and people were a little overly impressed with my Spanish. (To the point where I'd come in to the speakers dinner, start talking Spanish and the girl two seats next to me thought I was Spanish, not Dutch. I mean, do I look short and dark-haired?)

Most of all I'm happy I saw a lot of old friends and made a few particularly interesting new ones. I'm off to try and nurse my fatigue and headache now as the travel has sucked all the energy out of me and I am more dead than the dead sea.
Last edited by tarvos on Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
8 x

Is a girl.

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby tarvos » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:42 pm

In other news, I should probably figure out a way to (re-?)start Japanese at some point so that I can annoy brilliantyears by getting better at it than her 8-) . Challenge accepted.
0 x

Is a girl.

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:58 pm

tarvos wrote:I didn't think this year's programme was as good as last year's so I skipped a fair few in order to socialize with old friends.

Quite some time ago I decided to skip this year, and after having a look at the programme (just a few weeks ago) I found maybe a handful talks I really would have wanted to attend. That's it. Saturated market perhaps.

The other thing was the oppressive heat which was giving me panic attacks.

Hotter than last year? I wouldn't survive that.

I got to practice most of my languages, mostly English, Spanish, French, German, Czech, and Dutch, but I think I've spoken most or all of them as I don't really have a shortage of people to find that want to talk to me.

Any Swedish?
0 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby tarvos » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:08 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:Quite some time ago I decided to skip this year, and after having a look at the programme (just a few weeks ago) I found maybe a handful talks I really would have wanted to attend. That's it. Saturated market perhaps.

As long as you come to mine! :D

Hotter than last year? I wouldn't survive that.

Similar I'd say, but for some reason I felt it more this year because my health is weaker.

Any Swedish?

Yeah, a bit. Not so many Swedes around, but a little, definitely.
0 x

Is a girl.

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:13 pm

tarvos wrote:As long as you come to mine! :D

Sure, I promise I would have! (Hey, even if you'd have given it in Hungarian/Breton/Korean - the ones where I really don't know anything.)
0 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Return to “Language logs”