Haitian Creole Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Re: Haitian Creole Study Group

Postby iguanamon » Sat May 26, 2018 5:32 pm

I have posted some of my resources, chock full of links and most of them free and legal, here. More to come later.
Last edited by iguanamon on Sat May 26, 2018 9:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

Decidida
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (sidelined), Haitian Creole (beginner), Latin (forgotten), Ancient Greek (sidelined)

Postby Decidida » Sat May 26, 2018 9:21 pm

iguanamon wrote:I have posted some of my resources here

Thank you SOOOO much!

I need to put in some serious Creole study tonight, no matter what else does not get done. I have been scrambling to keep up with some things, without understanding them. There are some phrases that i know how to respond to when I hear or see them, but don't have a clue what most of the words mean.

Google is pitiful for HC. My friend that texts me the most in HC, usually writes in French and he spells Creole with great imagination. And I don't think he turned off the spelling thing that "fixes" what he writes. LOL. I know that "map" means "m ap" because I have studied, not because he told me that.

Ou met desann. I know that means he is about 20 seconds from entering my building, and if I don't want to leave him stranded in my lobby fielding nosy questions from my neighbors, I need to high-tail it downstairs, but what does "met" mean? LOL.
1 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)

Postby iguanamon » Sat May 26, 2018 9:53 pm

Decidida wrote:
iguanamon wrote:I have posted some of my resources here

Thank you SOOOO much!
Google is pitiful for HC. My friend that texts me the most in HC, usually writes in French and he spells Creole with great imagination. And I don't think he turned off the spelling thing that "fixes" what he writes. LOL. I know that "map" means "m ap" because I have studied, not because he told me that.
Ou met desann. I know that means he is about 20 seconds from entering my building, and if I don't want to leave him stranded in my lobby fielding nosy questions from my neighbors, I need to high-tail it downstairs, but what does "met" mean? LOL.

You're welcome/De ryen. "Ou mèt desann" means "you can come on down/you may descend". "Mèt" means "may" in one meaning of the word, in this context. "M'ap pale" - "I'm speaking", "ap" is the gerund particle/marker. M' , M with apostrophe is the contraction of "mwen"/"I". "W" also gets used with an apostrophe "W'ap pale/You are speaking". "W" is the short version of "ou"/you/vous/tu it gets pronounced like "whop pahlay". "Nou"/"we/you plural" gets contracted too sometimes to "n' ". N'ap pale - We/You plural are speaking. The meaning of "nou" is usually clear in context.

Definitely download the pdf phrasebook and put it on your phone. Download at least one of the dictionaries. If you have Pimsleur... do it! The converstion course I linked too "Ti koze kreyòl" can be done alongside it. If you do both of these over the next two months, you'll have a lot of basic conversation down. Then you can add in DLI HC Basic for the long term. After DLI Basic, you'll be able to start reading and listening for real. Ayibobo!
1 x

Decidida
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (sidelined), Haitian Creole (beginner), Latin (forgotten), Ancient Greek (sidelined)

Postby Decidida » Sat May 26, 2018 11:10 pm

Thank you so much! There is a new thread about a language sprint. I have done a couple of those, and have scraps of notes and folders of resources and fragmented memories leftover. I am scrambling now to get what I have into a study schedule. Today included a lot of Creole, but wasted Creole. I was flying by the seat of my pants and if I was better prepared, I could have used these experiences to move forward instead of wasting them.

I thought this summer was going to be smoother than it is turning out to be. Not only was I putting off tons of stuff, but others were waiting for me to finish, so they could start throwing stuff at me. I have to get more efficient here. I have stuff I need to do, but I need to make a schedule.

I used a 1/2 price audible.com credit for Pimsleur lessons 1-5. I also have a library copy of the short course CD set for the next couple weeks.

I need to go through the folder of stuff that I downloaded a few weeks ago, at your suggestion. Thank you so much for reposting the links here and writing out a scope and sequence to tackle them.

I had to stop studying to mop my nasty floor, because I was sticking to it while I was trying to study, but I need to refocus now.
0 x

Decidida
Green Belt

Postby Decidida » Sun May 27, 2018 4:15 pm

For those that advocate using a bible to study a language, do you think studying a frequency flash card set is a good supplement?
https://www.brainscape.com/packs/haitia ... ry-6440006

Is this 200+ Brainscape Creole deck totally free to use? It appears to be.
https://www.brainscape.com/learn/haitia ... escription
0 x

Decidida
Green Belt

Postby Decidida » Sun May 27, 2018 5:33 pm

iguanamon wrote:

16) Pawòl Lakay
Pawòl Lakay is a paid course by a Haitian teacher at the Collkege of the Bahamas with book and audio. Review also for sale at Amazon.

Is the first link supposed to be to an online class?

Thank you so much for all these links!
0 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Postby Systematiker » Sun May 27, 2018 6:44 pm

Decidida wrote:For those that advocate using a bible to study a language, do you think studying a frequency flash card set is a good supplement?
https://www.brainscape.com/packs/haitia ... ry-6440006

I use the Bible simply because it’s so familiar. It often has audio and text available together, it’s usually available free, and in my case I know the vast majority of the New Testament and large chunks of the Old Testament nearly by heart anyway. Honestly I can pick up the Bible in an unknown language and be following along pretty quickly (assuming I can read the script, otherwise I need to have the audio too and slow it waaay down), so it just makes sense for me to use it heavily in my language learning.

If it’s not as familiar for you and you want to use it, a supplement might help. I can never bring myself to use flash cards or srs anymore, it’s too boring to me. If you can find something else you know and love, use that (admittedly harder in this case).
2 x

Decidida
Green Belt

Postby Decidida » Sun May 27, 2018 7:07 pm

I have mixed feelings about flashcards. I used them for classical languages, but I think there might be better ways to learn a modern language.
0 x

Decidida
Green Belt

Postby Decidida » Sun May 27, 2018 11:19 pm

I do not think these audios match the pdf copy of the Ann Pale Kreyol text I have.
http://www.iu.edu/~celtie/haitian_creol ... html#basic

These audios say "basic" and my pdf says "introduction".

Is there any way to get a password for this website?
0 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby iguanamon » Sun May 27, 2018 11:41 pm

No, Pawol Lakay is a course book and cd's written by a professor, not a course taught at a university. The book and cd's cost around $55 US.
1 x

Return to “Study Groups”