피카 Fika

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Re: Bunnychu's Korean language log (for now)

Postby tarvos » Wed May 16, 2018 10:33 am

What teacher are you using for Korean? I can't seem to find one that suits me or isn't outrageously expensive. I'm at a lower level in Korean too.
0 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Bunnychu
Orange Belt
Languages: Romanian (N), English (?), Korean (Intermediate), Swedish (Beginner), French/Spanish (Elementary)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7956

Postby Bunnychu » Wed May 16, 2018 11:40 am

Removed outdated teacher recommendation
Last edited by Bunnychu on Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Wed May 16, 2018 12:44 pm

Nyota I have tried. Don't know the others. Thanks!
0 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Bunnychu
Orange Belt
Languages: Romanian (N), English (?), Korean (Intermediate), Swedish (Beginner), French/Spanish (Elementary)

Postby Bunnychu » Mon May 21, 2018 6:17 am

A new week, a fresh start ...:mrgreen:
Last week I took a break and basically didn't do anything except reviewing my anki deck and watching variety shows. I was actually inspired by AndyMeg to watch them without subtitles and I was actually surprised I could understand so much. It definitely gave me a boost of confidence that I'm getting something out of my studies.
This week I plan to focus on grammar and reading.

Monday, May 21 - Sunday, May 27
This week's goals
1. Study the next 4 lessons from Korean Grammar in Use Intermediate book
2. Read and transcribe the next 4 chapters from Yonsei Korean Reading 2
3. Add in Anki the words I gathered last week in Naver wordbook
4. Do the homework for my italki lesson
5. Write 1 text and post it on lang8 for correction
6. Everyday review 60 words (20 new) and 10 sentences from Subs2srs deck
7. I bought this book "2. 얼굴을 도둑맞은 젊은이·신기한 인연·하늘나라에서 온 소년: 신기한 이야기" and I plan to finish it this week

Planning
Monday, May 21
At work:
- listen to a podcast/Iyagi/audio book
- review Anki

After work:
- homework
- add the words gathered in Naver wordbook to Anki

Tuesday, May 22
Before work:
[5:00 - 7:00]
- 1 KGIU lesson

At work:
- review Anki

After work:
- 1 chapter from Yonsei Korean Reading 2
- review the words for italki lesson

Wednesday, May 23
Before work:
- italki lesson

At work:
- review Anki
- at lunchtime write a text to post for correction on lang8

After work:
- 1 KGIU lesson

Thursday, May 24
Before work:
- 1 KGIU lesson

At work:
- review Anki
- at lunchtime write a text for italki lesson

After work:
- one hour and 15 minutes language exchange [cancelled]

Friday, May 25
Before work:
- italki lesson

At work:
- review Anki

Saturday, May 26
- 1 KGIU lesson
- review Anki

Sunday, May 27
- review Anki words
- chill :mrgreen:
Last edited by Bunnychu on Sun May 27, 2018 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Dak
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (N), Korean (low intermediate), German (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8131

Postby Dak » Mon May 21, 2018 6:34 am

Bunnychu wrote:1. Study the next 4 lessons from Korean Grammar in Use Intermediate book

How do you go about this, do you have a specific way that you study the grammar points? Do you do the exercises? I have all the KGIU books and what I do is just read the explanations and example sentences.
1 x

Bunnychu
Orange Belt

Postby Bunnychu » Mon May 21, 2018 7:54 am

Dak wrote:
Bunnychu wrote:1. Study the next 4 lessons from Korean Grammar in Use Intermediate book

How do you go about this, do you have a specific way that you study the grammar points? Do you do the exercises? I have all the KGIU books and what I do is just read the explanations and example sentences.

I usually do it in the following way:
1. Listen and transcribe the example sentences without looking in the book and try to guess the meaning of the grammar point
2. Verify if my guess was indeed correct
3. Write a summary of the grammar point (rules, exceptions etc)
4. Listen to the example dialogue and transcribe it
5. Do the practice section

I might go a bit overboard but it helps me remember the grammar points. I also have books for grammar practice so I might try a new approach and write less with KGIU. Will see how that works. ^^
2 x

eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Postby eido » Mon May 21, 2018 4:33 pm

I agree that your log is very inspiring. I might want to take up the study of Korean again one day so it's fun to read how other people do it. You're very organized and seem to try hard, and that's nice to see.

I don't like that this site logs you out after a certain amount of time even if you're actively writing a post. (This is in reference to one of your previous posts.) What I do to combat this since I like to rant too is I constantly copy my work to the clipboard, and if necessary save to a Word doc. If you're on your phone you could save it to a Google doc. Saving a draft on LLORG itself is another option but is less reliable since you never know when it's timed out. I actually don't know the window it gives you before the session expires. But time tends to get away from me anyway so at this point it doesn't matter.

Anyway. I'm done. :lol:
1 x

Bunnychu
Orange Belt

Postby Bunnychu » Mon May 21, 2018 6:06 pm

eido wrote:I agree that your log is very inspiring. I might want to take up the study of Korean again one day so it's fun to read how other people do it. You're very organized and seem to try hard, and that's nice to see.

I don't like that this site logs you out after a certain amount of time even if you're actively writing a post. (This is in reference to one of your previous posts.) What I do to combat this since I like to rant too is I constantly copy my work to the clipboard, and if necessary save to a Word doc. If you're on your phone you could save it to a Google doc. Saving a draft on LLORG itself is another option but is less reliable since you never know when it's timed out. I actually don't know the window it gives you before the session expires. But time tends to get away from me anyway so at this point it doesn't matter.

Anyway. I'm done. :lol:

Haha, I learned my lesson. Now I open notepad or a Google doc and write there before submitting. :lol:
0 x

Bunnychu
Orange Belt

Postby Bunnychu » Tue May 22, 2018 12:13 pm

@Morgana:
Oh, I didn't know that hitting preview will do that. Thank you for the suggestion. ^_^

I was looking for a book I bought from TTMIK in my inbox and I also found a course I bought last year from them "Listening Practice In Slow Korean (Stories + Lessons)" and I have to say it's quite nice. For me it would have been better if the speed of the stories was normal but the video lessons afterwards refreshed my memory and helped me review a lot of grammar points. I totally forgot I had this course because when I bought it I was still a beginner so it was slightly above my level of understanding the fine grammar points. I'm half way through it and I think I will purchase "Story Time in Korean - Learn Real-Life Korean through Short Videos" when it's on sale. I'm guilty of buying too much content for learning (as you can see I even forgot about this course) but I'm thrilled to bits when I discover things like this. I feel like a kid again :lol:

작년에 TTMIK의 '한국어로 천천히 말한 듣기 연습 (이야기)'라는 강좌를 샀는데 아직 초급이라서 안 들었어요. 솔직히 말하면 샀다는 것을 잊어버렸거든요. 근데 오늘 드디어 들었는데 아주 많이 도움이 돼요. 특히 설명이 정말 좋아요. 다시 아이같은 느껴져요. 이런 강좌를 찾아서 정말로 행복하거든요. 세일 중이라야 'Story Time in Korean - Learn Real-Life Korean through Short Videos'라는 강좌를 사려고 해요. :mrgreen:
2 x

Bunnychu
Orange Belt

Postby Bunnychu » Sun May 27, 2018 5:09 pm

Except writing a text for the italki lesson, I did everything as planned. I also finished reading the second book from the series: "2. 얼굴을 도둑맞은 젊은이·신기한 인연·하늘나라에서 온 소년: 신기한 이야기". Overall I'm pretty satisfied with my progress this week.

Next week is going to be challenging because I switched jobs and now I have to move to another city, and on top of that the week after next it's my first trip to Korea. (너무 기대하고 있어요~ :mrgreen: ) My plan for next week is to focus on listening and maybe study 2-3 grammar points from KGIU.

For listening I actually subscribed to koreanclass101 because there is a free 7-day trial to experience premium access. I want to cram as much study as I can and make the most out of those 7 days. I'm not sure I will use the premium service after that because I already have a lot of good resources. Oh, I also have to skim-through "Survival Korean" by TTMIK to make sure I have everything covered for the trip.
2 x

Return to “Language logs”