Natibo - Android app for Glossika (and more!)

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
crush
Blue Belt
Languages: EN (N), ES, ZH
Maintain: EUS, YUE, JP, HAW
Study: TGL, SV
On Hold: RU

Natibo - Android app for Glossika (and more!)

Postby crush » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:20 am

In my spare time the past month or so (mostly weekends), i've been working on a set of tools to split the Glossika mp3/pdf courses into individual sentences and load them to my phone. I've got it to a somewhat stable/usable state (though there are still bugs, especially with the notification, and the countdown timer can act a little crazy at times as well, and well there are just a lot of things left to implement).

Currently, it lets you load a .gls pack made from my set of scripts to split Glossika GMS B files and PDFs into individual sentences. Unfortunately, i found out too late that the library i'm using to split the PDFs up isn't available on Windows, so the scripts are Linux only. To remedy this, i just put the scripts up on my webserver at https://ralena.ch where, if you have a supported language pair, you can send the files to the server to split up and make the pack for you. It's quite slow as uploading the GMS B files can take some time, but probably quicker than setting up Linux in a VM if you don't have access to a Linux computer ;)

Here are some videos of the app to give you an idea where it's at currently. Note that the scratchy audio in the first video is just the emulator running slow, all audio sounds just fine on an actual phone.

Loading a .gls pack (English->Mandarin):

Creating a course:

Not sure if anyone'd be interested in helping me test it out, finding bugs, letting me know what features you'd like, etc. Just keep in mind that it's not really ready to use as a stable part of your study routine quite yet, especially since the database will likely get deleted/recreated whenever i change or add things to it. When it gets a bit more stable/complete, i'll make sure to add migrations from one version to another, but for now it's too much work to bother.

EDIT: Source code is available from here:
https://github.com/chickendude/Natibo
Last edited by crush on Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:39 am, edited 4 times in total.
12 x

crush
Blue Belt

Re: GlossikaNative - Android app for Glossika

Postby crush » Tue May 01, 2018 4:05 am

I released the first version at GitHub:
https://github.com/chickendude/Natibo/r ... 0.1.1-beta

I'll publish it to the Play Store when it's a bit more mature, right now a lot of things are changing and i don't feel like making migrations for every little change to the database that i make.

Please let me know if you have any questions, comments, ideas, problems, etc. and which languages you want to be supported. You can try working with the scripts (get in touch if you are on Linux and want help with that, unfortunately they don't work on Windows), otherwise you can use the online tool i made to create the packs.

Again, if the language you are studying isn't on there, let me know and i'll see what i can do to add support for it. It takes me about 5-10 minutes per fluency book, but once i have the mp3 timings anyone and everyone can use them.

Please check it out and let me know your thoughts! :D
Last edited by crush on Sun May 20, 2018 1:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

rmsantos84
Languages: Portuguese (N)

Postby rmsantos84 » Wed May 02, 2018 7:41 pm

This is an awesome job!
Some months ago I was trying to upload the old Glossika to Anki. I know nothing about programming so it was a time-consuming task.
Last edited by rmsantos84 on Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Henkkles
Green Belt
Languages: N FI | A EN SV | I EE RU | B FR LN

Postby Henkkles » Wed May 02, 2018 8:02 pm

Hey, I'm waiting until it's in Play store, it seems really good though.

I'd love single sentence repetition, I'd love it if I could go into "chorus mode" and it would track the amount of reps I've done per sentence and per language.

I'd also love a transcription mode, where just the sentence is looping without the text, and then you can press a button to see the solution, and then it'd ask if I got it right (moves to the next sentence) or wrong (it moves on but keeps the current sentence in the pile of "not-transcribed" sentences).
1 x

crush
Blue Belt

Postby crush » Wed May 02, 2018 9:40 pm

rmsantos84 wrote:This is an awesome job!
Some months ago I was trying to upload the old Glossika to Anki. I know nothing about programming so it was a time-consuming task.
I’ve been using Audacity to break the GMS B mp3 into pieces (one file per phrase) and Sumnotes to extract the sentences from the pdf. Then I put all together in an excel file and import the .txt file in Anki.
It would be great to use your online tool to create the .gls pack.

The courses I bought from Glossika:
Portuguese – English – French (Triangulation package)
Portuguese – Italian
Portuguese – Spanish (Mexico)
Portuguese – Arabic (Egypt)

Currently the app doesn't support triangulation packs, but i could make individual language packs for you (Portuguese/English/French) which you could upload to the app, but you wouldn't be able to use them as triangulation yet. You could mix and match them however you like for two-language courses, though.

Henkkles wrote:Hey, I'm waiting until it's in Play store, it seems really good though.

I'd love single sentence repetition, I'd love it if I could go into "chorus mode" and it would track the amount of reps I've done per sentence and per language.

There will likely be a lot of changes to the structure over the next few weeks so i'm holding off on officially supporting it until it's a bit more stable. But i'll get it up on the Play Store soon.

For single sentence repetition, do you mean just playing one sentence a bunch of times? You can currently do that already, e.g. set it to give you one new sentence 10 times, i'm working on the ability to make more creative courses similar to the original schedules Glossika put together.
0 x

Henkkles
Green Belt
Languages: N FI | A EN SV | I EE RU | B FR LN

Postby Henkkles » Thu May 03, 2018 5:17 am

crush wrote:For single sentence repetition, do you mean just playing one sentence a bunch of times? You can currently do that already, e.g. set it to give you one new sentence 10 times, i'm working on the ability to make more creative courses similar to the original schedules Glossika put together.

I'd like it to repeat a sentence ad infinitum until I tell it I'm ready with this particular one, and I'd like it to keep track of my sentence repetitions.
1 x

rmsantos84
Languages: Portuguese (N)

Postby rmsantos84 » Thu May 03, 2018 2:19 pm

crush wrote:Currently the app doesn't support triangulation packs, but i could make individual language packs for you (Portuguese/English/French) which you could upload to the app, but you wouldn't be able to use them as triangulation yet. You could mix and match them however you like for two-language courses, though.

It will help a lot!
I did something similar when I uploaded the course to Anki.

I tried to reply the message you sent me, but the moderators don’t allow me to do that because I’m new here and need to engage more = (
All the courses I have are with Portuguese as the base language and it’s ok for me to send you the files I have. Just tell me how to do that. I think it’ll be 'easier' for you. Maybe I could mess up the process trying to send the information you need.
I know you’ll have extra work to get things up and running. So don’t worry about that and take your time.
It’ll be nice to extend the support for everyone using the same courses I have.
Last edited by rmsantos84 on Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

crush
Blue Belt

Postby crush » Thu May 03, 2018 5:24 pm

rmsantos84 wrote:I tried to reply the message you sent me, but the moderators don’t allow me to do that because I’m new here and need to engage more = (

I sent a PM with my e-mail address if you want to communicate that way. I need help finding bugs/getting ideas for new features ;)

Henkkles wrote:I'd like it to repeat a sentence ad infinitum until I tell it I'm ready with this particular one, and I'd like it to keep track of my sentence repetitions.

Ah ok, that's actually kinda similar to an idea i had for temporary study sessions, i was planning on using it for things like being able to run through all the sentences similar to the GMS files without affecting my main course stats.
0 x

crush
Blue Belt

Postby crush » Sun May 06, 2018 4:14 am

I added a new release to the GitHub page adding support for the languages rmsantos84 is studying, fixing a couple small bugs, and adding support for single-language packs. Now i don't need to reload all my English sentence packs each time :D You can check it out here:
https://github.com/chickendude/Natibo/r ... 0.1.3-beta

I also updated the scripts to work with triangulation packs. I haven't pushed the changes to GitHub yet, though. I'm going to be changing it to always create single-language packs in my scripts and also on the online version of the scripts.
Last edited by crush on Sun May 20, 2018 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

crush
Blue Belt

Postby crush » Sat May 12, 2018 5:05 am

I've just updated the app again to make some bug fixes as well as clean up the import process so that it is less likely to allow invalid files to be imported and provides better error messages when invalid packs are being imported.
https://github.com/chickendude/Natibo/r ... 0.1.6-beta

Next i'm going to be working on adding the course options screen, and once that is done, adding the other two course modes perhaps including the option to make triangulation packs.
Last edited by crush on Sun May 20, 2018 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”