We need a new forum tag line! (brainstorming)

Discuss the LLORG's and HTLAL forum's past and its future here.
smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Re: We need a new forum tag line! (brainstorming)

Postby smallwhite » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:33 am

mod on 27 Apr 2017 wrote:
We need a new forum tag line! (brainstorming)

Yay! We're finally talking languages!
2 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

luke
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Spanish (intermediate), Esperanto (B1), French (intermediate but rusting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16948

Postby luke » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:31 am

Me talk pretty one day.
0 x

lavengro
Blue Belt
Languages: English - finally getting a handle on this beast of a language. Also tinkering with a few other languages intermittently.

Postby lavengro » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:01 am

I wonder whether, particularly in light of numerous emails over the last few months across a number of different threads, the forum might consider updating its tag line from "We talk languages" to "We talk languages, and seemingly more and more we often take a big crêpe on a variety of language courses, methods, teachers and volunteers, and occasionally make mildly condescending comments about newbie language learners that may well have the effect, intended or not, of being discouraging in circumstances where one would think such a forum would want to be otherwise."

PS. I realize I may have misspelled "crap" in the post above, and also realize that while accurate from my perspective, this new suggested tag line is not exactly pithy.

PPS. Just ignore me; I am having a bad day....
4 x
This signature space now on loan to the mysterious and enigmatic Breakmaster Cylinder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUGKldkiex4

kanewai
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Active: Italian
Maintenance: Spanish, French
Priors: Chuukese (Micronesian), Indonesian, Latin, Greek (epic and modern), Turkish, Arabic

Postby kanewai » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:19 am

I rather like we take a big crêpe on language
1 x
Super Challenge - 50 books
Italian: 11 / 50
Spanish: 50 / 50
French: 16 / 50

Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Postby Bluepaint » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:54 pm

Would you like to PM me with your concerns?

lavengro wrote:I wonder whether, particularly in light of numerous emails over the last few months across a number of different threads, the forum might consider updating its tag line from "We talk languages" to "We talk languages, and seemingly more and more we often take a big crêpe on a variety of language courses, methods, teachers and volunteers, and occasionally make mildly condescending comments about newbie language learners that may well have the effect, intended or not, of being discouraging in circumstances where one would think such a forum would want to be otherwise."

PS. I realize I may have misspelled "crap" in the post above, and also realize that while accurate from my perspective, this new suggested tag line is not exactly pithy.

0 x

lavengro
Blue Belt
Languages: English - finally getting a handle on this beast of a language. Also tinkering with a few other languages intermittently.

Postby lavengro » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:26 pm

Bluepaint wrote:Would you like to PM me with your concerns?

lavengro wrote:I wonder whether, particularly in light of numerous emails over the last few months across a number of different threads, the forum might consider updating its tag line from "We talk languages" to "We talk languages, and seemingly more and more we often take a big crêpe on a variety of language courses, methods, teachers and volunteers, and occasionally make mildly condescending comments about newbie language learners that may well have the effect, intended or not, of being discouraging in circumstances where one would think such a forum would want to be otherwise."

Thanks Bluepaint, I would be pleased to in detail if you may be interested, but it will have to wait until the weekend. Apologies for using an innocent and well-intentioned thread to take a small dump on the forum. By the way, my email rant is a near-perfect example of a complete Canadian freakout: modestly and politely worded; a small amount of French as well as English; and coming replete with its own “PPS” qualifier/pseudo-apology. All that is missing are hockey sticks.

There is nothing that really calls out for moderator involvement in my view (apart from one isolated systemic issue perhaps), but more just a matter of my impression of the increasingly negative tone of portions of the forum. I work in a profession that is, practically by definition, adversarial in nature; language tinkering is just a pleasant hobby or diversion for me, and I sometimes regret coming here to wade through either sometimes hostile adversarial discussions (I get way too much of that at work) or belittlement (lord knows I get enough of that from my manager).
1 x
This signature space now on loan to the mysterious and enigmatic Breakmaster Cylinder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUGKldkiex4

Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Postby Bluepaint » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:41 pm

lavengro wrote:

PM me at the weekend, that's fine. I'm actually away on holiday as we speak so it might take me a couple of days to reply after receiving your message but do send it!
0 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:58 pm

Vaat, you no like? Here's a few more:

We talk crêpe.
We just talk.
We just talk, and talk and talk...
3 x

Return to “LLORG & HTLAL discussion area”